• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

The Big Al Good Mojo thread

jimmi

Don't know you but here is my contribution (2 50s conversions, '54 std, 81 Heritage Award, '82 Leo's Special, '04 G0):
8699658007_4e00f1b338.jpg

8478269266_c9d2dc1ff5.jpg

8671577559_31017e940d.jpg

8458670067_351640ef09.jpg

8459779438_4ac11c12f7.jpg

8458678221_5d290d86f6.jpg

8545531772_7c6747d9d6.jpg

8545532818_5d04b2f1fe.jpg

8591313404_06d74dac51.jpg

8591313594_38f918e49a.jpg

Last edited:

Minibucker

Al....

A couple of years ago, I had a mild stroke...at only age 41. I'm altogether fine, but since then my right hand just wasn't what it used to be...it's remained kinda tingly/numb and not as coordinated as it used to be when writing or typing or doing intricate stuff.

So for a while, I stopped playing guitar and sold a bunch of my gear off. I kinda' wanted to leave playing before it had a chance to leave me, so to speak. Early in my recovery, it really couldn't play at all, and I wanted to get away before it had a chance to hit me emotionally. But after a while, and being able to play some acoustic here and there with friends, I got the courage to take another stab....and strangely, even though I was rusty as hell, my right hand feels better when playing than it does any other way...and I mean literally ANY other way. It's almost as if the numbness and tingling goes away for that period of time...so it's good therapy in a way.

There are so many other people that go through tougher issues that are even harder to deal with, yet they don't let that stop them from things they love, so I would have been a pussy to just leave it for this. I didn't want to hear myself sound so crappy, and I didn't want to deal with a harsh truth of not being able to play like I used to. But in all honesty.....f*ck that. You can't just let this stuff go...not when you love it so much. You just gotta ask yourself sometimes...if you had a friend or relative going through the same thing or worse, what would you tell them?

Exactly.

Do what you have to do, keep well, and keep going.

gibson-r8

Big Al, you get well and get your a$$ back here real soon, you hear me?

Beano Geno

Nice post Mini....glad you kept going.

Al....

A couple of years ago, I had a mild stroke...at only age 41. I'm altogether fine, but since then my right hand just wasn't what it used to be...it's remained kinda tingly/numb and not as coordinated as it used to be when writing or typing or doing intricate stuff.

So for a while, I stopped playing guitar and sold a bunch of my gear off. I kinda' wanted to leave playing before it had a chance to leave me, so to speak. Early in my recovery, it really couldn't play at all, and I wanted to get away before it had a chance to hit me emotionally. But after a while, and being able to play some acoustic here and there with friends, I got the courage to take another stab....and strangely, even though I was rusty as hell, my right hand feels better when playing than it does any other way...and I mean literally ANY other way. It's almost as if the numbness and tingling goes away for that period of time...so it's good therapy in a way.

There are so many other people that go through tougher issues that are even harder to deal with, yet they don't let that stop them from things they love, so I would have been a pussy to just leave it for this. I didn't want to hear myself sound so crappy, and I didn't want to deal with a harsh truth of not being able to play like I used to. But in all honesty.....f*ck that. You can't just let this stuff go...not when you love it so much. You just gotta ask yourself sometimes...if you had a friend or relative going through the same thing or worse, what would you tell them?

Exactly.

Do what you have to do, keep well, and keep going.

ch willie

In the spirit of Al's latest posting. Here is my LP Std. Faded with its top is imperfect and not very flame-y, but that's why I love it. I don't care if its not a super flame historical. It does the LP job I want it to:

Last edited:

BrownDog

Take care Al!

You're concepts of a Biter and a Moaner will remain with me for a very long time - they are tonal descriptions I pass on to others whenever i get the chance.

Thanks for all your insights over the years!

With tone and oneness, Mike

Triplet

Take care Al!

You're concepts of a Biter and a Moaner will remain with me for a very long time - they are tonal descriptions I pass on to others whenever i get the chance.

Thanks for all your insights over the years!

With tone and oneness, Mike

I can't wait to find a scratcher!!!!! :hee

Sol

Al, I remember thinking when you joined that, if this guy lasts the month, its going to be a lot more fun around here, and so it proved.

Your the Tabasco in our Bloody Mary, the salt in our Tequila Slammer Al, and now we know you'll be back in the trenches as of the 9th, there will be a lot more than me petitioning the Almighty on your behalf that we might toast your good health returned.
Until then keep your chin up and your head down.

From a rainy isle of Anglesey,

Sol

wild.joz

Yup, thinking of you Al. Looking forward to seeing you around here soon :)

Minibucker

It's a success......he now goes by 'Alice'.

Wait...who are we talking about?

:)

Hope all is well.

Steve Craw

Formerly Lefty Elmo
Best wishes Al, I spoke with Bob M on Saturday, and we talked about your surgery. Best of luck on the outcome and your recovery.