• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Clapton "Fool" SG project.

frazettafan

Ho there Kris, nice to hear from you too, I hope you are well. ThNks for the info, I never realised that. I'm starting the back of the guitar now, I'll post more pics soon.

Cream Fan

One aspect regarding the headstock that was on the original but not the restored version. The original had a white line outlining the border between the red and blue areas. There are photos, but they tend to be blown out looking. Again, this was something about which I was unaware when I did mine, but would have been nice to include.

frazettafan

Thanks CF, I never knew about that. I'll do it on this one and the next one that I will do for myself over time. Great to have this info. One thing, when I painted the headstock I noticed that it doesn't fit if you paint a Gibson headstock from the current photo of the guitar. It's too long for what's on there now. I reckon the headstock on that guitar now is not from a Gibson guitar, if you look you can see it's too short. IMHO of course!

frazettafan

Hi there Bizzy, this should work:
Click on the thumbnails for a bigger image.

frazettafan

The client came and picked it up today and I'm happy to say that he's more than chuffed with it. It took me exactly six weeks to complete, I approached it as if I was doing it for myself and I wanted it to be better than any of the other copies I'd seen. It's a shame that it's not quite the correct spec SG which created a few minor problems with the design. I'm looking forward to seeing it after lacquering and setting up, I hope it sounds good!

frazettafan

Here's a few more detail shots:
I tried to get the back to relate to the front and flow into it somewhat:

Last edited:

frazettafan

Thanks Bizz, glad you like it. I'll post some shots when it's set up and ready to play.

Kris Ford

Ya know what..after seeing some more pics..I made a few observations..lend me a hand with a couple questions?

First..are there no bevels on cutaway and what is SN#? That neck heel had me thinking as well...

REALLY thinking after seeing that it's a '72 (if no bevels) ..and there weren't many made like that..the first model to come after the SG DELUXE.:hmm

frazettafan

Hello Kris, great to hear from you!

Good points; The bevels are subtle especially on the lower horn but they are there. They are much less pronounced. This aspect made it a bit more difficult to paint the curved colour bands of the top horn as the deeper bevels on say, a 64 like Claptons original kind of guide those curves. I had to imagine they were on there in a sense when I drew them on the guitar. Also the controls are in a different place and the pickups are closer together, not to mention the neck Being let into the body further, all unlike a '64. All these things had to be considered when I placed the elements of the design on the body.

The serial number got covered by the two primer coats so I'm not sure what that was, I'll ask the owner.

Glad you dig it mate as I know you like your SG's!!