• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Just Bought A Stew Mac SG Style Guitar Kit............................

JeffBlue

I bought this guitar kit because it is on sale and I don't own an SG. I have owned Stew Mac necks and bodies in the past and thought that the quality was there. Has anyone here have/built a Stew Mac guitar kit and how do you feel about it? I will be adding my own parts and pickups on the kit.

JeffBlue

Yes sir, that is what caught my attention. I just bought a 2019 Harley Davidson Softail Deluxe back in April and I just now have 5000 miles due for service. I saw the guitar kit on the Stew Mac site and showed my wife, I thought she would surely say no. I was wrong, she agreed to let me buy the kit. and for the price cheaper than buying just a Warmoth body. Should be good.

Billy Porter

Good luck with the build. It's great fun building your own stuff and extra special when you play them.

J T

Cool. Looks like fun. What color are you going to spray it?

JeffBlue

I also purchased a can of spray cherry red lacquer and a satin top coat. Satin cherry red unless I change my mind.

JeffBlue

jrgtr42

I wasn't aware they offered this.

https://www.stewmac.com/Materials_a.../Guitar_Kits/G-Style_Electric_Guitar_Kit.html

It does look like a great project. I'd be tempted to plug the bridge holes and use an ABR rather than the bushing they provide but either way should be pretty interesting.

IT's fairly recently that Stew-Mac is offering these. They've had Fender style for a while, but the Gibson style is new.
I am also interested to know how this comes out.
I've seen kits from Precision Guitar Kits, but those seem to be just the body and neck - not such a bad thing if you want to be picky and source (or even specify) your own parts.
I think the Precision ones come out about the same as Warmoth, tho9ugh Warmoth of course has almost infinite options to choose from.
I would be really interested to see a side-by-side of guitars built from the 3.

gibson-r8

Hey Jeff, I would love your input on your kit. I am interested in doing one of these kits. What is your impression? Is the neck joint good?

Any input is appreciated.

Steve

JeffBlue

Hey Jeff, I would love your input on your kit. I am interested in doing one of these kits. What is your impression? Is the neck joint good?

Any input is appreciated.

Steve

I haven't started the kit yet. The neck joint is a short tenon but a good fit. The body has subdued/mild bevels on the body which isn't an issue for me. The body and neck could use finer finish sanding. The mahogany is light colored. 2 piece body and the lower bouts are slightly darker wood. I believe overall will make for a great sounding guitar since I'll be adding upgraded pickups and hardware.

Hudson52

As a summer project I bought a Stewmac LP-style kit as I had never played a Gibson and thought it would be a good learning experience. The only part of it I wished they had done a better job on was the fretboard. I spent parts of two days checking, leveling, and re-crowning the frets until they were just right.

The fit of the neck was excellent, and there were only a few very small glue spots on the flamed maple veneer. In all other respects things were excellent. I finished the top with TransTint bordeaux (wine red) with 6 coats of Omni clear.

I would not hesitate to go with Stewmac should I decide to do another kit.

Tied to put in a couple of photos but unable to do so.

gibson-r8

I also purchased a can of spray cherry red lacquer and a satin top coat. Satin cherry red unless I change my mind.

I did say I was tempted. I ordered this kit this week and would like to do a transparent cherry red finish. Any suggestions?

gibson-r8

Overall, very impressed with the kit considering the price. Opted to replace the tuners with Grovers and the pots with CT’s.. Jack replaced with switchcrafts, saddles were shit so drug some parts out of the box Have a bone nut in the works as well. still leveling frets but I think it is a guitar now.

Last edited: