• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Jimmy’s final signature guitar should not be a Fender.

JPP-1

From his iconic low slung sunburst Les Paul to his imposing double stairway EDS 1275, I don’t know if there is another guitarist more inextricably linked to a guitar brand then Jimmy Page is to Gibson.

The once staid, old fashioned looking Les Paul suddenly became the coolest hard rock guitars on the planet. And while Jimmy’s genius was so compelling, the guy could’ve probably used an electrified banjo and made it rock, I can’t help but think there were some synergies going on between Jimmy and his Les Paul.

A pre 73 or RAH signature Jimmy Page Les Paul would be nothing short of a runaway hit and a fitting tribute to a brilliant guitar “god” and his trusty hammer.

fernieite

Yardbirds too... and post Zeppelin. :eek:la

Didn't he also play a Fender 12 string and a Strat with Zeppelin as well? Btw, sorry to use the F-word here. :wah

Ace139

In addition to the LPs mentioned, by my count he still has these 3 to go

LPB Strat
Martin D28
Tele B-Bender
Dano

Also think he could probably do tap the amp world a little more if he wanted. The Zoso Marshall?

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
Also think he could probably do tap the amp world a little more if he wanted. The Zoso Marshall?

His greatest live sound, and likely much recording were done with a specially made Hiwatt!

jp5-sm0-1.jpg

65Firebird

From his iconic low slung sunburst Les Paul to his imposing double stairway EDS 1275, I don’t know if there is another guitarist more inextricably linked to a guitar brand then Jimmy Page is to Gibson.

The once staid, old fashioned looking Les Paul suddenly became the coolest hard rock guitars on the planet. And while Jimmy’s genius was so compelling, the guy could’ve probably used an electrified banjo and made it rock, I can’t help but think there were some synergies going on between Jimmy and his Les Paul.

A pre 73 or RAH signature Jimmy Page Les Paul would be nothing short of a runaway hit and a fitting tribute to a brilliant guitar “god” and his trusty hammer.

I agree, when I think Jimmy Page it's a Les Paul or Double Neck IMHO.

pqs

Although a Tele was used on Led Zeppelin 1, if I remember it right, a LP was used on every single live performance with Led Zeppelin. Arguably it was his main guitar on every one of those live performances. I mean, I'm not against/offended by a Tele being his last sig guitar release, but I understand and would get behind the argument for a LP.

El Gringo

Although a Tele was used on Led Zeppelin 1, if I remember it right, a LP was used on every single live performance with Led Zeppelin. Arguably it was his main guitar on every one of those live performances. I mean, I'm not against/offended by a Tele being his last sig guitar release, but I understand and would get behind the argument for a LP.

Not in the beginning of there tours in support of the first album and I believe he got the Famous Sunburst Les Paul during the making of the second album or the tour following the completion of the second album.

pqs

Not in the beginning of there tours in support of the first album and I believe he got the Famous Sunburst Les Paul during the making of the second album or the tour following the completion of the second album.

But wasn't the band performing under a different name, New Yardbirds, I believe? Genuinely asking.

El Gringo

But wasn't the band performing under a different name, New Yardbirds, I believe? Genuinely asking.

Led Zeppelin I , Jimmy used the Telecaster that Jeff Beck gave him as a gift . Led Zeppelin toured in support of there debut album which I believe was 1968 . 1969 I do believe Led Zeppelin II came out and it was somewhere around this period when he got his most famous Sunburst . Easy enough to Google you know .

pqs

Led Zeppelin I , Jimmy used the Telecaster that Jeff Beck gave him as a gift . Led Zeppelin toured in support of there debut album which I believe was 1968 . 1969 I do believe Led Zeppelin II came out and it was somewhere around this period when he got his most famous Sunburst . Easy enough to Google you know .

I knew that Led Zeppelin 1 was recorded with a Tele. But you’re right. I did some quick research and here’s what I found. The album came out in 1969, but the tour started in 1968. At the beginning of the tour they started under the name of new Yardbirds. They officially changed the name on Oct 25th 1968. On that same day they held a concert with posters that still read New Yardbirds. The year is relevant, because it is believed Page bought his iconic #1 from Joe Walsh in April of 1969. Thank you for your correction.

El Gringo

I knew that Led Zeppelin 1 was recorded with a Tele. But you’re right. I did some quick research and here’s what I found. The album came out in 1969, but the tour started in 1968. At the beginning of the tour they started under the name of new Yardbirds. They officially changed the name on Oct 25th 1968. On that same day they held a concert with posters that still read New Yardbirds. The year is relevant, because it is believed Page bought his iconic #1 from Joe Walsh in April of 1969. Thank you for your correction.

Led Zeppelin and Jimmy Page were a big huge influence on me growing up in the 70's . Every kid that played guitar when I was in school wanted a Sunburst Les Paul slung low and rocking out . Funny the one kid that had a Sunburst , which it was a Deluxe in a clown burst or tomato soup burst was okay on the guitar , another kid had a small guard Cherry Les Paul/SG and this kid was the 2nd coming of Jimi Hendrix , could he play . We would all be amazed at how we could tell the kid play this or play that and he would note for note .I had my Ebony Les Paul Custom and there was another kid that had a Mocha Poopy colored maple neck Stratocaster and that kid and I were always trading guitars until his parents would bring back my Les Paul home to me ,for which I am grateful . The Kid with the Stratocaster traded it in for a BC Rich guitar .

Flogger

It's not like he dropped the Tele the instant he got his first Burst. He played the Stairway solo on it. It's on Physical Graffiti, and after a houseguest messed it up by painting it and ruining the electronics he used tge neck on his brown B Bender Tele.

He's used a Tele through the Yardbirds and a lot of Zeppelin, it's totally valid as a signature instrument.

And I lust for a mirror Tele, sans mirrors.

El Gringo

It's not like he dropped the Tele the instant he got his first Burst. He played the Stairway solo on it. It's on Physical Graffiti, and after a houseguest messed it up by painting it and ruining the electronics he used tge neck on his brown B Bender Tele.

He's used a Tele through the Yardbirds and a lot of Zeppelin, it's totally valid as a signature instrument.

I actually like both the mirror Tele and the Dragon Tele and I probably would have snapped one up but I cant stand such a small neck profile . Yuck . Beautiful guitars, both of them .

BSeneca

In addition to the LPs mentioned, by my count he still has these 3 to go

LPB Strat
Martin D28
Tele B-Bender
Dano

You would probably pay less buying a vintage Dano from the year he had than what they will charge for a signature

pqs

I never meat to imply that he dropped the Tele after he got his #1. What I’m pointing out is that the Les Paul became his main in live performances. He still used the double neck for stairway live among other things, his danelectro, his tele, etc but he was mostly seen with Les Paul when playing live. Of course the two Teles are valid signature models. The argument that started this thread is whether or not a tele should be his last signature model, not if a Tele should be a sig model at all. At least that’s how I understand it. My opinion is that he should have his two tele sigs, but that we get another LP sig after that.