• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

New Duane Allman Clone Pups from Wizz

duaneflowers

I use a really sharp pencil to draw wire.

I may look at these. The last set of his I looked at (thanks DEWAAAAAANE!) were so expensive I would have had to pawn a kidney and my left nut.

Yes indeed... those 50s wire sets are a bit pricey... but closest thing to real PAFs that I can afford. And I have 2 sets... had to pawn both kidneys... :spabout

Duane-san

you exert much influence from so far away

ren how close is your finger to the trigger

im getting closer

Of course the Hot 'Lanta set was designed for your darkburst sig and nails it to a tee, but the layla/fillmore set is mighty fine, too... if you're into those Whipping Post overtones and such... :peace2

Nick-O

Man, GAS has been pretty tame this summer until I read this Duane. I appreciate the heads up. You got me started with the pickup chase on another forum a couple of years ago, and pretty much all my guitars have choice pickups in them at this point.....I need another LP for these!

duaneflowers

As has often been said, the only thing consistent about Gibson is their inconsistency... that being said the inconsistency in pickups, no doubt, exists so that they all don't end up sounding exactly the same... the logic of which is rather compelling. I don't really find the Gibson's pickups that I end up replacing bad, I just think there are better sounding options available... and I want my fiddles to sound as good as they possibly can. Not to mention that if you've heard me play you'll know I need all the help I can get... :rofl

Pellman73

ordered a set of the Hot Lantas

looking forward to putting them in what should be a rightful home

duaneflowers

I just don't buy all this talk of Duane's hotter, high output desire when his sound was very mild compared to the Les Paul / Marshall tone back then.
If Duane so desired this high gain tone, why didn't he use it?
I too read that "Duane wanted all the gain he could get".
All I hear is a nice warm over driven tone at times, no high gain Marshall distortion at all anywhere on any recording.

Here is a good comparison of the Cherry Burst and the Dark Burst on one of my favorite ABB songs, Stormy Monday... listen to Duane's solo on these two tracks and you'll hear a noticeable difference between the two guitars.

Duane's Cherry Burst solo starting at about 3:00

Duane Dark Burst solo starting at about 3:20

Last edited:

renderit

Duane-san

you exert much influence from so far away

ren how close is your finger to the trigger

im getting closer

Pull! I gots an old wire set coming and a slightly custom regular set coming. I don't think the Hot or Dark are as good a match for me as what I had him do. Not that I don't like them, I just need something different for a couple of projects I have.

Pellman73

Pull! I gots an old wire set coming and a slightly custom regular set coming. I don't think the Hot or Dark are as good a match for me as what I had him do. Not that I don't like them, I just need something different for a couple of projects I have.

awesome!

congrats!

hey Duane that was a cool thing how you posted both those songs with the different guitars. that's some serious Duane-ology!

duaneflowers

That's awesome! I'm looking forward to your tonal analysis... considering... :spabout

awesome!

congrats!

hey Duane that was a cool thing how you posted both those songs with the different guitars. that's some serious Duane-ology!

:salude

psigh4

Some people think "high gain" = distortion

I can get distortion with a solid state amp and a cheap stomp box.

I think of "high gain" < distortion. A finer tuning of the tone right before it distorts. Please don't think I'm trying to start an argument. I just don't think it matters what any of us think because we really don't know the tone Duane Allman was chasing in his head. All we know is the tone he achieved which was brilliant. :salude

psigh4

Duaneflowers or anyone else,

How do the Wizz Duane pickups compare to the OX4 Duane pickups?

duaneflowers

Duaneflowers or anyone else,

How do the Wizz Duane pickups compare to the OX4 Duane pickups?

The Ox4 Hot Duane set is an enigma to me, I have a really early set and liked the way they sounded when I first got a set, but they aren't as multidimensional as the sets that followed in that guitar so they never went back in. I call them an enigma as they are called Hot Duanes, and are wound very hot, yet are made (aesthetically and spec-wise) to more closely resemble the Fillmore set... which was not at all hot. I think that originally they were called Hot 'Lantas... which would've probably been more accurate. I had a set of those in one of my Allman Cherry Bursts for a while, and they were an aesthetic replacement as they come with black bobbins and no covers, as did the stock ones in the Cherry Bursts. I don't believe I've ever seen a picture of Duane playing his bursts without the pickups being covered... I'm not sure why they are uncovered now and/or who took the covers off, but pups without covers sound different to my ear and so I think that, in order to achieve the most accurate Duane tone, you need the covers on. If they were wound with the intention of keeping the covers off, then they could've been EQ'd differently somehow (I really don't know all the technicalities involved in winding pickups). As far as a tonal comparison, a set of signature pickups is essentially a set of PAF clones first and foremost... to which some particular flavor has been added. Wizz and Ox4 duplicate different sets of PAFs, which, as we all, were all unique. I don't know if its due to materials, EQ, specs copied, winding machine, etc., but the base Wizz set is closer to the sound I am chasing in regard to the perfect PAF tone so, by extension, I prefer the sound of the Wizz ones. To my ear they are richer and chimier with sweeter overtones, and have greater touch sensitivity than Ox4. Some folks prefer the Ox4s for the very same reasons... different strokes for different folks... but for me, the Wizzes nail it on every one of the dozen or so sets I have.

psigh4

Thank you Duaneflowers for your comparison of all three pickups. I find a lot of hidden gems of knowledge in Big Al, renderit, Pellman73 and your posts. I get that playing style does alter the way things sound and we all hear things differently. Your explanations and experience with different pickups especially in different manufacturers instruments is greatly appreciated.

duaneflowers

D'ja get 'em?