• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Incoming!!! New Vintage Guitar Day!!!

Steve Craw

Formerly Lefty Elmo
Thanks, me too! Wednesday can't come soon enough. Funny thing, the tracking says it's near Syracuse, which is less than 90 minutes away, so...... maybe it'll show up tomorrow.

TomGuitar

Very cool. Those have to be almost impossible to find. Beautiful guitar, Steve.

Steve Craw

Formerly Lefty Elmo
Well, she arrived in perfect shape, Alex did a great job packing her. I haven't decided what I'm going to do about re-wiring yet. The Varitone is sort of cool, but the pots are wired lefty (which I've never liked) plus the issue of stereo to deal with. It's a warm sounding guitar, and I'm looking to rehearsal tonight to drive it a little harder

Last edited:

brandtkronholm

...the issue of stereo to deal with...

Here's the solution for stereo Gibsons!

I received my ES-Box built by BMF Effects last week.

This is THE solution to the complications of using a stereo guitar with a single input amp. It's as easy as pie to use. You may keep your ES-345s, ES-355s, or any other stereo guitar fully original and use the same amp that you use with your Les Paul, ES-335 etc. In fact, switching from Stereo to mono guitars is effortless.

The box is small, heavy and very sturdy! It has a battery/DC but also works perfectly well passively if you run out of battery power!

I encourage everyone with a stereo Gibson to give this box a whirl! The price is ~$180.

Again, this is THE solution.

Here's the picture of the box and some additional info posted by deytookerjaabs earlier in this same thread.

3gqwV4Tl.jpg

It was explained to me that it "fools the guitar into thinking the signal is stereo" so you don't get certain bits of frequency summing/cancelling. Scott can explain it better than I if you shoot him an email, nice guy, quick shipping, great service, etc. I've used it again the past few days and oh I'm so glad I bought it, haha. The mono/stereo switch is for if you're plugging in the stereo guitar with TRS cable then if you want to switch to a regular guitar you can.

Link to thread: https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?203999-1960-ES-345-solution/page2

Steve Craw

Formerly Lefty Elmo
So, as an experiment, I bought a stereo "Y" cable. I plugged into the two channels of my Deluxe Reverb, and found that the stereo is actually VERY cool. Using the EQ'ing of the separate channels, I can custom tailor each pickup, rather than trying to get a compromised sound from one set of tone controls that are set to try and sound good on both pickups. I'm sold ! I will not be re-wiring this guitar anytime soon.

brandtkronholm

So, as an experiment, I bought a stereo "Y" cable. I plugged into the two channels of my Deluxe Reverb, and found that the stereo is actually VERY cool. Using the EQ'ing of the separate channels, I can custom tailor each pickup, rather than trying to get a compromised sound from one set of tone controls that are set to try and sound good on both pickups. I'm sold ! I will not be re-wiring this guitar anytime soon.

You can try plugging the stereo-Y cable into one channel and experiencing the funk of the out of phase sound - see reverb channel of the Fender below. (Out of phase should always be said as if it were "Pigs in Space!" from the Muppets.)

IMG_0112.PNG

Just wiggle a volume knob a tiny bit to reduce the "out of phase!" sound. I'll hook up two wah pedals with the stereo-Y. Put one wah all the way back and roll the corresponding tone knob all the way back for an extreme version of 'woman tone.' What fun!

one

Beautiful and exciting to see. That guitar wears its age beautifully. I hope you get the fretboard. I am surprised that the shop did not include it automatically. I know there's no law requiring all parts to stay with the original guitar, but that should be the custom, particularly at this level of sale. Congratulations on a really fabulous guitar.

Steve Craw

Formerly Lefty Elmo
Beautiful and exciting to see. That guitar wears its age beautifully. I hope you get the fretboard. I am surprised that the shop did not include it automatically. I know there's no law requiring all parts to stay with the original guitar, but that should be the custom, particularly at this level of sale. Congratulations on a really fabulous guitar.

Lay's has it and will shipping it to me this week.

Steve Craw

Formerly Lefty Elmo
65421696_1277293439119077_6757882692362043392_n.jpg

Lays still had the fingerboard, and sent it to me!fey 345.jpg

Last edited:

Steve Craw

Formerly Lefty Elmo
Holy crap, JB!! Thanks for finding that! I had googled and come up empty.

jb_abides

Holy crap, JB!! Thanks for finding that! I had googled and come up empty.

No problem, Steve. Now you have some provenance, to become keeper of a legacy.

Cool band... it seems. Maybe they're more known than "Unknown" now :spabout at least to me.

I particularly liked their Byrds cover. Ah, what a great Gene tune! :salude