• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

"Layla Atlantic Track Chart"...

Ken Fortunato

Administrator
Staff member
Pretty cool stuff... :salude

38382174712_9d3e755aa1_o.jpg

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
It's amazing how many times that album has been remixed. The version of the song "Layla" that I have, which I believe is from the early 1990s remaster (unless it was updated automatically by the friendly robots at Amazon Prime Music) just jumps out of my Avantone Mix Cubes as if to say, "Hi, Mr. Clapton, I'll be putting lots of money into your pockets with this song!" I'll bet that mix was at least checked on a pair of the old Auratone "horrortone" speakers studios used to use to check car stereo mixes, if not largely mixed on them.

Ken Fortunato

Administrator
Staff member
It's amazing how many times that album has been remixed. The version of the song "Layla" that I have, which I believe is from the early 1990s remaster (unless it was updated automatically by the friendly robots at Amazon Prime Music) just jumps out of my Avantone Mix Cubes as if to say, "Hi, Mr. Clapton, I'll be putting lots of money into your pockets with this song!" I'll bet that mix was at least checked on a pair of the old Auratone "horrortone" speakers studios used to use to check car stereo mixes, if not largely mixed on them.

It's amazing to me, the number of guitar parts, that are actually going on simultaneously in that song... If you listen close, you can hear them all... Any live performance, is a huge compromise to the original studio recording...

Triburst

It's amazing to me, the number of guitar parts, that are actually going on simultaneously in that song... If you listen close, you can hear them all... Any live performance, is a huge compromise to the original studio recording...

I agree. And to my ear, the whole album is mixed that way. There's an incredible amount going on in the jam part of "Keep on Growing," and you can follow each instrument easily.

SpencerD

Tom Dowd worked with The Manhattan Project in 1943.

Some of you know what that was without a google search.

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
Tom Dowd worked with The Manhattan Project in 1943.

Some of you know what that was without a google search.

Yeah, they were a bit twee and overrated at the time, but they could really lay down the harmony vocals.

Seriously though, I would hope that everyone here knows what the Manhattan Project was without Googling! :##

mistersnappy

I agree. And to my ear, the whole album is mixed that way. There's an incredible amount going on in the jam part of "Keep on Growing," and you can follow each instrument easily.

Yeah, and I'm pretty sure that song is just Clappo! About three lead tracks there? :hmm

Grog

Just in case anybody here hasn't seen it, "Tom Dowd & The Language of Music" is a great documentary. I watched it on cable, ended up buying the DVD years ago. Lent it out countless times. People that normally wouldn't be interested in such a documentary have really enjoyed it.................

Ken Fortunato

Administrator
Staff member
Just in case anybody here hasn't seen it, "Tom Dowd & The Language of Music" is a great documentary. I watched it on cable, ended up buying the DVD years ago. Lent it out countless times. People that normally wouldn't be interested in such a documentary have really enjoyed it.................

Thanks for that... :salude

SpencerD

ATTN : Driscoll,Ed.

You know there were internet searches for Manhattan Project.

And that isn't even why Dowd is relatively well known in our music nerd community! --- HA!

Nukes and The Dominos .... zero cocaine on the atom bomb gig....mass quantities of cocaine during the Layla sessions. :spabout:peace2

Life.

It's hilarious.

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
ATTN : Driscoll,Ed.

You know there were internet searches for Manhattan Project.

Of course there are Internet searches for the Manhattan Project. But I would think that our fellow core members here at the mighty LPF are rather more up to speed on these topics. :ganz

Last edited: