• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

WIZZ PICKUPS OWNERS!

duaneflowers

You won't regret it! I've had them in for over a month now and they sound absolutely fantastic!

They usually take about a month to open up... so yours should be just about ripe... they tend to open up and mellow out a bit and the sweetness factor expands exponentially... :salude

60pinstripe

They usually take about a month to open up... so yours should be just about ripe... they tend to open up and mellow out a bit and the sweetness factor expands exponentially... :salude

What is it that happens during the beak in period that contributes to the pickups opening up?

duaneflowers

What is it that happens during the beak in period that contributes to the pickups opening up?

I don't know all the exact technicalities, but as current is run through the wire it tends to change the pickup properties. I'm sure the magnet has something to do with it as well, but they always seem to mellow out a bit over the first few months. Since pickups are a closed system every component plays an important part in the final tone so it is probably a combination of all of them working together as electricity is introduced to that circuit. I've noticed the change is more pronounced with some pickups and hardly noticeable in others... so there are no hard and fast rules... and of course since tone is subjective YMMV... :salude

Ship

Thanks for the heads up! I didn't even think about that but it totally makes sense. It's like a caterpillar transforming into a butterfly! :rofl

DrRobert

Les Paul Forum Member
I just picked up a Bacchus "Cut" Clapton Explorer-nice guitar with light, korina wood. It had Wizz pickups installed by Dan Erlewine's shop before I got it. I've compared it to a couple of guitars with real PAFs now. The bridge is brighter than 58s, not as hot as 59s and similar in character to 60s in my guitars. The neck is a really nice hollow tone that's pretty similar to a 58 neck, a little milder than a 59 and similar to the 60. They hum a bit, which makes sense since the coils are supposed to be slightly unbalanced, although they hum less with both together, so I wonder if they're wound so the overwound coils are RWRP to each other? All in all, i think they're a pretty decent representation of a generic PAF sound and well worth trying!

mustachio

I'm still in the honeymoon phase with my Wizz set. They have a feel that is much different than all the other modern PAF reproductions I've tried. Wizz are a little more forgiving but not mushy, great sustain, a touch microphonic but that's what you want.
IMG_0623_zpseitb2bhy.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Pellman73

hi yall-

just got mine

I was like "what is a package from croatia"

anyhow!

how do I know bridge vs neck (dumb question probably ). just check the resistance and put the hotter pup in the bridge? or does it say somewhere...

Ship

hi yall-

just got mine

I was like "what is a package from croatia"

anyhow!

how do I know bridge vs neck (dumb question probably ). just check the resistance and put the hotter pup in the bridge? or does it say somewhere...

I tested just to be sure. But mine had longer wire for the neck and the wire was also at the bottom of the pickup so you could tell which one was which by the location of the pole pieces. The neck ring that came with mine is shorter and angled as well. Hope that helps.

Pellman73

I tested just to be sure. But mine had longer wire for the neck and the wire was also at the bottom of the pickup so you could tell which one was which by the location of the pole pieces. The neck ring that came with mine is shorter and angled as well. Hope that helps.

oh yea! duh. the neck rings should make it clear

thanks man

Pellman73

Ok I busted out the soldering iron, watched a youtube vid, and slapped these puppies in my CC 15 Hank Greg Derek Slash Plank and I have to say

THEY ARE AMAZING!!!! HOLY SHEEP SHIT!!

wow--- just great. both the neck and the bridge. I'm not sure if I can say anything other then they sound incredible and make me not want to put down my guitar and its making sounds it aint done never made before

look pretty nice too (these are the rings that came with them as well)

I'm a believer. scheming on another set

http://

duaneflowers

Ok I busted out the soldering iron, watched a youtube vid, and slapped these puppies in my CC 15 Hank Greg Derek Slash Plank and I have to say

THEY ARE AMAZING!!!! HOLY SHEEP SHIT!!

wow--- just great. both the neck and the bridge. I'm not sure if I can say anything other then they sound incredible and make me not want to put down my guitar and its making sounds it aint done never made before

look pretty nice too (these are the rings that came with them as well)

I'm a believer. scheming on another set

Welcome to the club... it looks great!! :salude

Did you get one of the old wire sets?

Pellman73

Yeah... that! Alex got a hold of a few spools of vintage wire and those sets are the proverbial cat's meow... :dude:

oh wow-- I'm not sure but I don't think so...

I think these were just his standard offering... that sounds very cool though

duaneflowers

oh wow-- I'm not sure but I don't think so...

I think these were just his standard offering... that sounds very cool though

The vintage wire sets are $800, so you would know if you got one. Wizzes are my favorite aftermarket pickups and the old wire sets are simply stellar... if the wire isn't all gone (which I'm led to believe that it is) then I would grab a set before it is... :salude

Pellman73

The vintage wire sets are $800, so you would know if you got one. Wizzes are my favorite aftermarket pickups and the old wire sets are simply stellar... if the wire isn't all gone (which I'm led to believe that it is) then I would grab a set before it is... :salude

Gotcha

no,I do not have the vintage wire ones but that sounds very cool