• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Value for 1962 sg lp junior with pro repaired headstock break?

fernieite

Hi guys,

I'm going to be looking at a 1962 SG les paul junior guitar that has had a pro repaired headstock break. It has no other issues that I am aware off.
Everything is original and in very good shape and it has the original case. Is $2400 US way off for a (I'm told) close to invisible pro repaired guitar? This one has the earlier wraparound bridge - no lightning / zig zag bar. Faded cherry.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Last edited:

fernieite

Does anyone have any pictures of this era Dog Ear P-90's to share? I'd like to be able to verify that the pickup is vintage when I see it.

Hotshot

Check my post about before I bought my 64. I posted a cavity shot. Look at the braids. I was told that PAF and P90s Braids are different. Mine is orig so Try that.

BTW you looking at a white one?

Hotshot

Hi guys,

I'm going to be looking at a 1962 SG les paul junior guitar that has had a pro repaired headstock break. It has no other issues that I am aware off.
Everything is original and in very good shape and it has the original case. Is $2400 US way off for a (I'm told) close to invisible pro repaired guitar? This one has the earlier wraparound bridge - no lightning / zig zag bar. Faded cherry.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Hmmm. 2400US is 3100 CDN now. Thats higher than my budget was. I saw a lot of High Listed prices, but the actual is different. Did you check reverbs sell prices?

fernieite

The guy is asking $3000 can - what's that $2450 US? Yeah, I think it's too steep for a headstock repaired one. I think the top might have a crack by the input jack, as well. I imagine these are all repaired, but it's still an issues (player) guitar.

I'm looking for an early cherry les Paul (SG) junior, not white.

Thanks for your input man!

Hotshot

The guy is asking $3000 can - what's that $2450 US? Yeah, I think it's too steep for a headstock repaired one. I think the top might have a crack by the input jack, as well. I imagine these are all repaired, but it's still an issues (player) guitar.

I'm looking for an early cherry les Paul (SG) junior, not white.

Thanks for your input man!

No problem. I saw a white refin’d one on Kiji. That’s why I asked. If it’s unnoticable and everything else is there I’d be in the 2-2500CDN ball park.

Mine has had a crack in the bottom of the control cavity but it’s necer been repaired and lasted this long. I’d go over yours with a black light ba you will see what’s what.

Does the one tour your looking at have a Vibrola? That was why I wanted the one I got so badly.

Let us ya know how it goes.

Also, if the seller is in CDN, forget US prices. Have fun shipping it, unless he has it as his personal guitar. I used cdn funds.

fernieite

Well. I went and saw the guitar yesterday. The repair was horrible!!! The cracks are very visible on the back of the neck and on the front of the headstock, and a veneer was added to the back of the headstock (again completely visible!) and the serial number is gone, as a result. What a disappointment. :rolleyes:

The rest of the guitar was quite nice though. I think he'd be lucking to get 1/2 the price he's asking!

So, my search continues...

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Well. I went and saw the guitar yesterday. The repair was horrible!!! The cracks are very visible on the back of the neck and on the front of the headstock, and a veneer was added to the back of the headstock (again completely visible!) and the serial number is gone, as a result. What a disappointment. :rolleyes:

This is why I wrote that it is hard to make a judgement of value without seeing it in person.
I'm glad you were able to check it out before committing to it. :salude

fernieite

Oh, well that makes sense now. :)

Yeah, well with guitars - I have to see them with my own eyes and play them to see how they sound and feel. I'm pretty picky when it comes to neck shapes.

I won't commit to a guitar sight unseen. Amps and pedals, yes (with detailed pictures). But not with guitars... :2zone

renderit

Mine has no breaks. Picked it up at half that price. The guy is a dreamer.

fernieite

Yeah, very true!

I saw another one yesterday. It was probably a 63 les paul junior. Headstock break repaired as well. Decent job this time though. The tuners are changed to Gibson Deluxe, with top nuts and washers like Grovers. Missing the original case. Lovely checking everywhere, faded top. Original electronics. It's in a shop on consignment and they want $2000 US + tax...

Why don't you sell me your 62 Ren? :hank

Last edited:

fernieite

I've got 3 photos of the latest 63, but I can't seem to post them. There's no "manage attachment" option given to me. Btw, they're only on my computer. Looks like I don't have permission to upload from my computer! :(

Last edited:

latestarter

I've got 3 photos of the latest 63, but I can't seem to post them. There's no "manage attachment" option given to me. Btw, they're only on my computer. Looks like I don't have permission to upload from my computer! :(

You need to host photos somewhere else and link them to the forum/thread.

I paid $1450 for my current player SG (LEs Paul) Jr and one wing had been glued. Grovered too - where the crack came from. For info.

fernieite

Oh, ok. Thanks man . I won't be doing that. No pics it is...:(

Glad you got a good players junior! :yah