• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Why Chambered LP standards?

VictorTom

Safe Trampoline Use Tips For Homeowners

Are you thinking about purchasing a trampoline for your kids to play with in the backyard? Have your neighbors been clucking their tongues in disapproval with this decision? Is your homeowner's insurance agent having a mild heart attack? Yes, it's true that trampolines present a mild safety hazard when they are used recreationally on your property, but that doesn't mean that you have to deny your family access to this endless source of entertainment and exercise. Here are some important tips that homeowners should keep in mind about how to use trampolines safely and without liability. The most important thing to realize about trampolines is that they are not a toy; they are a piece of sporting equipment. If you want to find out more best mini trampolines, you can have your reference at TrampolineFlight.com.

You would never let your kids play with a pitching machine or a treadmill without proper education and supervision, and the same thinking should apply when you're discussing your recreational trampoline. It's important to do your part by choosing a trampoline that's made with high quality trampoline parts and equipped with the best trampoline accessories for safety. It's also important that your children and their friends do their part by following the basic safety rules of trampoline use. One of the most common mistakes that homeowners make when it comes to setting up trampolines is that they don't think about placement.

Trampoline-Flinght3.jpg

You might think that it's smart to set the trampoline up on the patio or right outside the kitchen window where you can always keep an eye on what's going on, but these are actually two of the worst places to set up a trampoline. The jumping structure should be placed on a surface that is energy absorbent, like grass, and should never be placed near buildings, playground equipment, power lines, swimming pools or trees. Start Looking for a few new best trampoline At Trampoline Flight.

It's also important that you think about your neighbors when it comes to choosing trampoline Accessories. No matter what the climate is where you live, you should make sure to use a trampoline anchor kit to prevent your structure from catching a gust of wind, and crashing into the side of your neighbor's house, car, or garden. Trampoline anchor kids are very easy to install, and work just like the cords and stakes that are included with all camping tents to keep them from flying away with you inside. An anchor kit will also prevent the trampoline from moving and shaking dangerously while people are jumping on it.

Attachments

• Trampoline-Flinght3.jpg
    Trampoline-Flinght3.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

bern1

To me it seems like a nice option because they are generally lighter and they sound differently good compared to non chambered LP’s.

Big Al

Chambering and Weight Relief are different things. Most mahogany of quality runs heavy. There just isn't enough to allow sorting for light weight. What they do get goes into Custom Shop Reissues.

The quality mahogany is very good but heavy. Gibson began experimenting with weight relief in the 80's to manage the weight and use this wood for guitars. I cannot hear any difference in tone. You don't get feather weight but great tonewood that would otherwise prove too heavy can now be used. I'd say WR allows for continued use of classic Hondouran Mahogany WITHOUT altering tone. You don't hear the relief.

When Mike Slub, Kareoke Karl & I were at Gibson Custom in '03 I was shown a Custom 59 Reissue they were building for Gary Rossington for the upcoming Skynerd tour. His back was bad and the guitar had been extensively routed before the maple cap was applied making for a very lightweight Les Paul. The first Chambered Les Paul!!

Chambered Les Pauls have a subtle but noticeable effect that imparts a characteristic accent onto the classic Les Paul voice. You can hear it. Chambering shifts the primary tone and effects the bodies resonent frequency. They still sound like a Les Paul but when compared to an unchambered one you can hear the difference. It's a cool tone I like very much. I have two and I use them a lot and find their voice a welcome addition in my Les Paul arsenal.

Interestingly, the first successful solidbody guitar the Bigsby, and later Gretch's Duo Jet used similar chambering!!

So the various WR was done in attempts to reduce some weight while maintaining the familiar tone of a Les Paul. Chambering for max weight reduction and an alternative tone. The new core/vintage inspired models lack any, Modern versions employ WR as per factory spec.

Last edited:

AJCR

Modern weight relief is NOT Swiss cheesing.
The former looks like trivial pursuit pieces of pie.
The latter is 9 round holes drilled in the body.

Guitars that got chambered typically moved to modern.
Swiss cheese guitars have stayed that way or moved to completely solid.

Weight relief was kept secret at the time. In fact the 9 hole was discovered more or less at the same time as chambering......

Minor tonal shifts that were the result of chambering were not what many Les Paul owners wanted. The modern style was implemented to try and regain the archetypal LP sound but with much lighter instruments still.

sonar

Weight relief was kept secret at the time. In fact the 9 hole was discovered more or less at the same time as chambering......

Players were aware of weight relief before chambering. Posts on the subject go back to the inception of this forum, and many others were aware of it for many years before that.

Trans-Am

Gibson is always on the move to try and see where the mass is at. It's a taste test. Sort of like a cheap Japanese affordable car that when it's to good to be true? They all friggin' cancel the lines etc. They just gives us a choice spectrum in sound and specs. Lighter is better and might cost more. Depends on the model and price points. Norlin era made LP's has had some heavy shit kickers that sounded good as well.

Then they get you all riled up with another line in regards of specs and shit. We all rotate what Gibson puts out there (only you will know yourself really where your at) It keeps it all interesting as well as the cash cow trick they get you to pick which is which, and then in the end you were all just searching for that tone you been chasing for years. All relevant.

I play 'em all what is available out there and grab what you can afford and think its the best for you that is different from the rest, expensive or not etc. at the end of the day it's you playing it and admiring the Paul inside out. I know i don't think i have answered the OP question here but this is just my take of it all in simplicity w/o the microscope. Apologies for the digress.:salude

Not saying it's bad for Gibson, it's just my take that's all!

RocknRollShakeUp

What are y'all's thoughts regarding the 9 hole WR versus the modern maze looking WR? Which is better and why, if things can be crystallized down to such a comparison, which perhaps it can't be.

grimlyflick

What are y'all's thoughts regarding the 9 hole WR versus the modern maze looking WR? Which is better and why, if things can be crystallized down to such a comparison, which perhaps it can't be.

I have both and if anyone was able to hear any difference between the two I’d be very suprised.

I did have a chambered Studio Tribute which did have an audible difference, but in regards to the other two I can’thear any difference between them.
:salude

RocknRollShakeUp

I have both and if anyone was able to hear any difference between the two I’d be very suprised.

I did have a chambered Studio Tribute which did have an audible difference, but in regards to the other two I can’thear any difference between them.
:salude

Thanks for the data point.

KR1

Chambering and Weight Relief are different things. Most mahogany of quality runs heavy. There just isn't enough to allow sorting for light weight. What they do get goes into Custom Shop Reissues.

The quality mahogany is very good but heavy. Gibson began experimenting with weight relief in the 80's to manage the weight and use this wood for guitars. I cannot hear any difference in tone. You don't get feather weight but great tonewood that would otherwise prove too heavy can now be used. I'd say WR allows for continued use of classic Hondouran Mahogany WITHOUT altering tone. You don't hear the relief.

When Mike Slub, Kareoke Karl & I were at Gibson Custom in '03 I was shown a Custom 59 Reissue they were building for Gary Rossington for the upcoming Skynerd tour. His back was bad and the guitar had been extensively routed before the maple cap was applied making for a very lightweight Les Paul. The first Chambered Les Paul!!

Chambered Les Pauls have a subtle but noticeable effect that imparts a characteristic accent onto the classic Les Paul voice. You can hear it. Chambering shifts the primary tone and effects the bodies resonent frequency. They still sound like a Les Paul but when compared to an unchambered one you can hear the difference. It's a cool tone I like very much. I have two and I use them a lot and find their voice a welcome addition in my Les Paul arsenal.

Interestingly, the first successful solidbody guitar the Bigsby, and later Gretch's Duo Jet used similar chambering!!

So the various WR was done in attempts to reduce some weight while maintaining the familiar tone of a Les Paul. Chambering for max weight reduction and an alternative tone. The new core/vintage inspired models lack any, Modern versions employ WR as per factory spec.

And to broaden the topic a bit more, add the Double Carve model from 2009. This was an extremely limited run of Historic Reissues (R8's) that were made for Wildwood. There were a total of 29 guitars made in addition to two prototypes - one goldtop, one plaintop. This model incorporated an under-carved top (only) mounted on a solid, non-weight-relieved back. At most, about an ounce of maple was removed from the underside of the top so the effort had nothing to do with weight, only tone. There is a very shallow chamber created by the under-carve.

As to tone: The guitar is a bit more open on the top end. There is just every-so-slightly less mid-range "honk." However, IMO the sonic differences between the example that I've owned for years (the first proto, a plaintop R8) and another R8, and the sonic differences that may exist between any other two vibrant Les Paul's are absolutely similar. It's ten years, now, but I remember setting up about half of the Double Carve Les Pauls as they came into the shop and they were consistently on the "open" side high-end, and a very slight bit less honky in the mid-range. It's a very versatile version of the Historic line, but Henry shut it down (it wasn't his idea).

The only well-known artist that left the store immediately after plugging one in was Steve Miller. In fact, he may have purchased two of them.

Large R8 neck carve, un-potted, un-covered zebra coil BB1, BB2. Fake Bee's, 500K CTS pots with a mix of audio and straight taper scattered throughout the tiny run, corian nut, un-mounted pick guard.

K

Last edited:

Trans-Am

I don't mind the 9 hole swiss cheese they were doing a while back and then some these days, depending on the models. Just gives us a choice from having to much of a weight in some of the types of woods being used.
Not all likes to have a heavy than normal Les Paul's besides the audible differences some of us notice. Airy, lighter, sounds different etc.