• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Paul McCartney's Touring '60

JJ Blair

So, then if there's reflectors, it should have a pigment cherry. I have a friend selling his '60, with pigment and regular bonnet knobs, and was wondering if they should have had reflectors or not.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
So, then if there's reflectors, it should have a pigment cherry. I have a friend selling his '60, with pigment and regular bonnet knobs, and was wondering if they should have had reflectors or not.

Maybe.
There are always exeptions to the rule.
What's the serial number?

oceantoad

Should he only give the SN , or the range to those with serious intent to buy?

He may not want to divulge that info. I'll ask.

Even the range would be helpful, something like 0 74xx would help if the owner is willing. :salude

JJBlair ,
As you must know you are dealing with one of the top LP authorities on the planet, TM59.. imho.. send him a private email , keep it off the forum by all means.. my two cents..

To recap, you are checking to date it (early or late) for yer friend by the pigment of the guitar?

:2zone

oceantoad

Click this picture...he brought the 60's to the Grammys with his A game !

Last edited:

oceantoad

Paul to the wall ...
joesm-a23yimgcom.jpg

Steve Craw

Formerly Lefty Elmo
I remweber seeing a few lefty Les Paul's @ Scott Jennings shop in the late `80's & early `90's. I think he had Paul's sunburst before Paul bought it.

Scott had "The Stroup Burst" Here's a pic from his flier from that time period.
LH_LPs.jpg

oceantoad

Thank you Steve...
Scott had "The Stroup Burst" Here's a pic from his flier from that time period.
LH_LPs.jpg

Hung out with Scott last Thursday at Capitol Records. We watched Macca get his "Star" at the Hollywood Walk of Fame .:jim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9n_0aM81U4

Macca hit a super high C (high E string 20th fret).

aaaaa1629869-musicares-mccartney-grohl-617-409.jpg

MusiCares photo from Friday night ^

Never heard a male hit that high a note...not bad for 69.

If you missed the performance Sunday, what a great song to close the show :2cool

Listen HERE

mcartney-grohl-608x452.jpg

He continues to give us all his optimistic and hopeful for the future philosophy.

The "Carry That Weight / The End" medley from the Grammy's just blew me and a million other people away. It was one of the most sublime musical experiences for me since 1969 and it continues to represent the Beatles legacy for me...

"and in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love... you make".

Last edited:

Classic71

Not a good view of it...But here it is at Gruhn's in 1985.

1985_gruhn_guitars_1959_les_pauls_1960_lefty_burst_strats.jpg

Apologies for going off topic for a second, but that maple board 50's Strat second from left @ top row is a work of art. Obviously been played and loved. Any stab at a rough market value for such a piece nowadays? Sorry again to disrupt this fine thread. :salude

JJ Blair

Maybe.
There are always exeptions to the rule.
What's the serial number?

Oops. Forgot to respond to this a while back. 0-81xx

It's uncirculated, and not in the registry, but a search through they registry shows that two of the bursts in the 0-8100 range have bonnets. The rest are reflectors. I wonder how that happened.

BTW, I'll try and find out the story on Brian Ray's GT from the GRAMMYs. I've played Rusty's 335. It's such a nice guitar. I remember when he got it.

Last edited:

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Oops. Forgot to respond to this a while back. 0-81xx

It's uncirculated, and not in the registry, but a search through they registry shows that two of the bursts in the 0-8100 range have bonnets. The rest are reflectors. I wonder how that happened.

It's very common to have the knobs replaced.
I would expect any Burst in that number range to have reflectors.

JJ Blair

Thanks, Tom.

BTW, just heard from Brian about the GT. He says it's a '57 he bought many years ago, when he was playing with Etta, and everybody from Keef, to Mick Taylor, to Jimmy Page to Hubert Sumlin played it while sitting in with the band. That's some pretty cool DNA left on that guitar!

oceantoad

A "friend" asked Brian Ray if that TV Jr is his which
Joe Walsh was playing the other night at the Grammys.
Ron Wood was also playing a TV Jr on stage with Paul's band.