• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Finally got a Gretsch....

DoubleBoogie

I'm really digging this. The fit and finish is flawless and I love the Cadillac Green! The neck feels awesome and I am loving the tone too. Very cool guitar! :yah:salude

rGL5Z1O.jpg

jb_abides

Congrats. I love mine, too. Good to hear quality remains high over at the other G-word. :salude

Ace139

Love the Caddy Green!!

I bought a Penguin about 6 months ago for some variety - LOVE IT

They are fun guitars for sure !

DoubleBoogie

The only aspect of this guitar that I don't get is the three position tone control switch. I just keep it out of the circuit and make adjustments with my amp tone controls and with the individual volume controls to get what I want out of it. :hank

sonar

Gorgeous!

The Japan made Gretsch are some of the best, modern made, production level guitars on the market. QC is right up there with PRS USA. The Korean Hollows also can be great, value for the money, guitars.

I was relatively late to the Gretsch party, partly because most vintage pieces I played were trainwrecks. Granted I had very limited exposure to the 50's guitars, so don't take my experience as a blanket statement. Fender taking over management for Gretsch in the early nulls was a game changer for me.

DoubleBoogie, yes I agree that the "mud" switch is more or less useless, but it is historically correct. Iirc Chet Atkins really pushed for the switch over the tone control that was found on earlier era models. If you play around with cap values you can get a pretty decent muted Jazz tone which is engaged with the flip of the switch, but I generally just go to Gibson pickups with a traditional tone control if that's the tone I'm going for at that time.

DoubleBoogie

Gorgeous!

The Japan made Gretsch are some of the best, modern made, production level guitars on the market. QC is right up there with PRS USA. The Korean Hollows also can be great, value for the money, guitars.

I was relatively late to the Gretsch party, partly because most vintage pieces I played were trainwrecks. Granted I had very limited exposure to the 50's guitars, so don't take my experience as a blanket statement. Fender taking over management for Gretsch in the early nulls was a game changer for me.

DoubleBoogie, yes I agree that the "mud" switch is more or less useless, but it is historically correct. Iirc Chet Atkins really pushed for the switch over the tone control that was found on earlier era models. If you play around with cap values you can get a pretty decent muted Jazz tone which is engaged with the flip of the switch, but I generally just go to Gibson pickups with a traditional tone control if that's the tone I'm going for at that time.

Interesting comments as I was telling several people that the only guitar I own with comparable fit and finish is my Wood Library PRS Hollowbody II. I also have a few Korean made guitars including a D'Angelicho Deluxe and two Reverend guitars and they are well made but not to the same level of flawless finish that this Japanese made Gretsch is.

jrgtr42

Very nice.
I've had my eyes on either a Tennessee Rose 6119 or a Duo-Jet (or both :D) for a while - I need something with Filter-tron's you know...

Texas Blues

Bigsby!

The original marital aid.

Makes any guitar sound like sex.

Women wettern' a shampoo'd water buffalo.

Men like penitentiary steel.

And that Gretsch...

Seven Nation Army tone.

Rock it compadre.

DoubleBoogie

¡Felicidades!

What are those pickups?

TV Jones Filtertron Classics. A really sweet sounding pickup. I hooked this thing up to my Victoria Victoriette amp and have literally been playing it alone since I got it. It is a really sweet sounding set up pickups. The neck is just smooth and "buttery" if you know what I mean..and with the clarity of a bell. The bridge has brighter tone with more "twang". The middle position is of course in between. I just love the tone of this thing.

DoubleBoogie

Bigsby!

The original marital aid.

Makes any guitar sound like sex.

Women wettern' a shampoo'd water buffalo.

Men like penitentiary steel.

And that Gretsch...

Seven Nation Army tone.

Rock it compadre.

I can't say enough about the tone of this thing. Its really something that just keeps growing on me. The Bigsby is really fun and this thing stays in tune not matter what I do yanking on the Bigsby.

sonar

TV Jones Filtertron Classics. A really sweet sounding pickup. I hooked this thing up to my Victoria Victoriette amp and have literally been playing it alone since I got it. It is a really sweet sounding set up pickups. The neck is just smooth and "buttery" if you know what I mean..and with the clarity of a bell. The bridge has brighter tone with more "twang". The middle position is of course in between. I just love the tone of this thing.

Maybe my favorite modern made pickup. The Classic model is wax potted and the bridge pickup is spaced to be better aligned with the guitar strings. Overall, I find it a better mousetrap for everyday/modern guitar needs, but...

TV Jones also makes a historically accurate filtertron (Ray Butts model) that I've read is incredibly beautiful, dynamic and responsive if you primarily play through a clean amp. For the purists this might be a pickup of interest.

rockabilly69

I love the color on your new guitar!. It's funny there are many variations on cadillac green. I love modern Gretsch guitars. I own three of them, a Duo-Jet and Anniversary both with Filtertrons, and a 6120T '55VS with T-Armonds. All three of them are great guitars that required little to no setup. The quality on the Japanese Gretsches is consistently great!

here's a little song that I just recently recorded and at 2:04 on I use my 6120 for all the electric fills...

https://soundcloud.com/daniel-weldon-1/love-2019