• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

The Big Al Good Mojo thread

Big Al

Thanks fellas. It is appreciated. Things have been very hard lately and I have been in a very dark place. Sometimes the pain and frustration are just too much. I am trying very hard to deal with the new reality that almost everything that defined me and was the essential me has been taken away, or diminishes everyday. Yes, I know, I'm glad to be alive, and I do take comfort in seeing my family and friends, but it also is discomforting because everyone treats me different and obviously I don't interact in the same way. My life at this point is a long list of things I used to do and a short list of things I'm still allowed to.

I deal with the constant pain and physical effects of this thing pretty good, but in all honesty I'm not doing so well with the mental aspects. I have no job or function other than as the sick husband, dad or friend. Having cancer and dealing with it has become my new identity. I am constantly reminded that I am not the same person I was, not as strong as I was, not the protector/provider/proactive man I was. I have been in a big funk because I am trying to find a way to deal with this and I'm not as good at it as I try to be. I want to do more for my family. I don't want to be the helpless one when a crisis comes. I want to function at some level as i used to, but I can't and no matter how hard I try, how much effort I put into therapy, I will never get it back.

All the things that made me Big Al are gone. My hands hurt so bad sometimes from the neuropathy that simple tasks frustrate me. I walk like an old man, shuffling along. I am scared of falling and the once strong, take on the world person I was is now a small scared old man, unable to be the Bull I once was. My new reality is a crushing weight that slowly is squeezing the last bits of me away and then I suppose the cancer will take me.

My vision is compromised. Now my hearing is effected. The nerve degeneration causes me to have constant pain, everywhere, and the drugs I take to ease that have there own set of side effects that are nasty in themselves. I just want to have a break from it, for just one day. I exist in my mind now. I am flooded with memories of my past. So many things I have forgotten have come back in vivid memories. It seems my life is the past. Past me only exists in memories and that is where the real me now lives.

The worst part is I don't appear, or look as ill as I am. I am not gaunt and disfigured. I walk funny, but I look like an older me. People assume I am better than I am and while that isn't a bad thing at all, it causes them to offer to engage in activities that I cannot do. I am constantly reminded of how much of me is forever gone by well intentioned friends attempts to engage me in activities I cannot do. I cannot leave the house for long when I am "On Cycle" with the chemo as I tend to get pretty sick and the chemo aggravates and amplifies all the side effects. I have about a 10 day period where I function best and try to schedule things in that window, to do with friends and family.

Sorry for the long pity fest. I just wanted to vent. I do appreciate you guys and the effort you make on my behalf so much. Yes indeed, a proper Classic Sunburst, the rich, beautiful dark brown Gibson Sunburst, so often seen on Arch Tops and ES models is my favorite finish for Les Pauls. I just really, really, really like the look and find that even the plainest topped Les Paul looks elegant and beautiful when dressed in a classic Tobacco Burst. I have just learned to accept it and embrace it. I am a Wacky Tobacky kinda guy. That is my finish of choice and I'm gonna roll with it.

Color me brown.

grimlyflick

Never apologise for venting on here Big Al, your participation on this forum is highly valued by all members old and new.

Your venting is a small price to pay for all your wit and wisdom so vent away sir.

Keep fighting Al.
:salude

ourmaninthenorth

Sorry for the long pity fest.

Big 'Un...pity fest my arse, I can smell pity, and this ain't it.

You're as real as the ground under me feet.

I've been in my own recovery thing 20 odd years Al, I wish you'd come to a meeting with me and speak on my behalf, cos I simply can't narrate my own shit the way you narrate yours. There's a lot of swear words in mine...in fact to be honest, it's mostly just swearing.

You help people with this candour Al. You help me.

Thank You. :2cool

DougDR94

All of us on this forum know the man you are and always will be through the quality and depth of your words. You lift us up - I hope you never stop sharing. :dude:

Scott L

A little Darkburst Mojo for a Saturday Night for you Al.

97 Custom Shop Standard....

ppdet3jp7loptjebkh9l.jpg

KR1

Al,

We've spoken of this before but it's been a long time: What years were you in Kalamazoo? I was there during '79 and '80.

I rented this room from a N/S "little old lady" up on S. Westnedge Avenue and Park Hill. I loved the town, hung around Parson's Street and frequented a great little live bar called the "Whistle Stop," right down at the train station. Ring a bell??

Kim

Big Al

Al,

We've spoken of this before but it's been a long time: What years were you in Kalamazoo? I was there during '79 and '80.

I rented this room from a N/S "little old lady" up on S. Westnedge Avenue and Park Hill. I loved the town, hung around Parson's Street and frequented a great little live bar called the "Whistle Stop," right down at the train station. Ring a bell??

Kim

78 & 79. I went to Kalamazoo to work upstairs in the Repair/Custom dept to get my certification for warranty repair. Great people. Ken Killman, not so great. Did you meet the fellas that sprayed the 50's bursts?

KR1

78 & 79. I went to Kalamazoo to work upstairs in the Repair/Custom dept to get my certification for warranty repair. Great people. Ken Killman, not so great. Did you meet the fellas that sprayed the 50's bursts?

I just don’t recall names, or even crafts within the shop. I wish I had paid more attention / I was finishing school at Western Michigan, met my future wife, etc..

But: Did you know a man, Scott Bailey, who was a sander during that time?

KR1

During the time that K-Zoo was home, I literally “haunted” the poor guys who put my “Norlin” SG together... I loved the smell of that old place and honestly, my SG still smells like that building..

If we didn’t literally cross paths (we probably did), here we are..

Anyway, “BAILEY” worked as a neck/body sander on Parson’s St for 20 years or more. His “kid” flew F-15’s in the Middle East before driving the Airbus at U. I met him while trying to find some pickup rings about 20 years ago....

It’s a wonderful world and you are right in the middle of it.

Ha! Just keep leaning into it, Brother Al.

renderit

Yes, I hope all is right? Hopefully you're doing so good you're sawin' through boxes of strings makin' up fer lost time!

EVERYBODY SET 'EM ON 12 AND STROKE A BIG G CHORD FOR BIG AL!