• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

King of the Standard Faded Les Pauls?

Patrick Ginnaty

Very nice... I'd just buff it to a gloss finish. The color looks like my butterscotch '98 R8...
58riLester.jpg

Gunner

Howcome the fadeds are so light?
Don't really know, mine isn't that light though: 8.6lbs/3.9kg's. Since my trustworthy '79 Strat weights 8.2lbs/3.7kg's I didn't find it heavy at all when I bought it...

buckwild

Hey guys. I'm gonna evaluate everything when it gets here. I most likely will do a buff out to get it to shine. I just believe that a top that gorgeous should have a real nice burst. Some of the faded standards have a bad fade where the transitional burst is not smooth and consistent. I'll give a full report when she arrives.

ROCK!!!!

Edward

Wow, that's nice! Actually, my Faded is really, really nice (IMHO :) ). But yours looks truly amazing! Not only the uniform flame, but its 3d quality and the angle of which the flames are set as 2 halves of wood. Simply a gorgeous top, friend! I would NOT refinish ...try buffing it out. I did and love the results. BTW, post another pic when you actully get her in your hands!!

Edward

55Custom

Based on the pic, I completely agree with the thread title. Congrats. :jim

Axel

That's a joke.....right???

No, why do you think so?

The faded on the top of this page is 7.1 lbs, my Classic is 8.8 lbs and I consider it medium light. The laquer can't be THAT heavy! :)

THECARREAPER

love the faded honeyburst. been looking for a nice one for over 2 months.... glad to see nice ones are still out there, yours is VERY nice...

( now i am sad... :( ..... )

:)

chasbo

She certainly has, and what a fine pair they are too...:wow

sophia_loren167a.jpg

P.S... Lovely guitar by the way JBuckwild..:salude

And you know what was best about them? They were never repaced. Those are bone stock originals! Nice pic.

chuck

Belman

Does anyone have an X-ray image of a faded standard to see how much of the body is weight relieved?

lew81

Is it me or do the tops on faded's look much better than on a regular Standard? I don't like the satin finish though. Is it possible to apply a finish of laquer direct to the satin finish or does it need a complete re-spray?

thin sissy

No, why do you think so?

The faded on the top of this page is 7.1 lbs, my Classic is 8.8 lbs and I consider it medium light. The laquer can't be THAT heavy! :)
yeah, should feel stupid now too, because I didn't think the laquer weighed that much:hmm

Gibson4ever

I was wondering why the fadeds are so light here too. The ones I have picked up at the stores felt normal Standard weight which I would guess to be 9+ lbs. Even a lot of Historics are this heavy and more. At 7.1 lbs that is lighter than even most Cloud 9 guitars that have Historic grade light wood and a lot of the wood removed for tone chambers.

Wattage

Man that is a beauty, good luck with it.

My Faded HB weighs in at about 8.25.