• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

'58 Jr P90 pickup mounting question

J.D.

Hey check this out!

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-1961-GIBSON-LES-PAUL-JUNIOR-JR-ELECTRIC-GUITAR_W0QQitemZ370362500024QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item563b5343b8

11636.08.jpg

11636.Guts.10.jpg

11636.Guts.08.jpg

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
There's another DC Junior with a soapbar in it!
Mounted with only one screw!

And what happened to the pickup rout? :wah

Maybe a shallow neck set?

?

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Pickup cover is sanded down.
Could be factory?
:hmm

Wrong knobs for 61.

J.D.

11636.10.jpg
\

Seller claims it is a 1961 model, so it is a very late doublecut. Looks like the serial number is 11638.

This discovery is really crazy :jim

J.D.

Yeah I wonder if the pickup route "adjustment" was done in the factory :hmm

J.D.

I was thinking, why wouldn't the red finish be at the base of the route? Looks just like clearcoat over Mahogany to me or maybe just unfinished Mahogany. Doesn't really look TV to me. Could it have been re-routed at the factory after it was sprayed, during assembly?

This whole subject just keeps getting more bizarre LOL. Good stuff :jim

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
The area under the pickup has been "messed with", and lost the red finish.
However, it is very possible that it was done at the factory.
It does not have TV finish in it. It just looks like it might.

alschnier

hey guys,
this thread makes me very happy. my tech just opened my recently acquired 4 digit '58 Jr. - & was alarmed to find a soapbar under the dogear. me too. contacted the seller, started doing some research & lo & behold...

seems like Gibson may have been sorting things out a bit in '58 as it transitioned into the new body style for Juniors & Specials.

FWIW, mine does not have screws. never did. there are impressions in the lacquer that must be from the plastic ridge along the base of teh dogear cover (Like Luke's)

IMG_5955.jpg

IMG_5956.jpg

IMG_5954.jpg

(vintage cover on top)
:peace2

MapleFlame

hey guys,
this thread makes me very happy. my tech just opened my recently acquired 4 digit '58 Jr. - & was alarmed to find a soapbar under the dogear. me too. contacted the seller, started doing some research & lo & behold...

seems like Gibson may have been sorting things out a bit in '58 as it transitioned into the new body style for Juniors & Specials.

FWIW, mine does not have screws. never did. there are impressions in the lacquer that must be from the plastic ridge along the base of teh dogear cover (Like Luke's)

IMG_5955.jpg

IMG_5956.jpg

IMG_5954.jpg

(vintage cover on top)

Great post

alschnier

Great thread...I still love the mystery stuff! lol

me too! even though my heart sank when my tech told me the pickup was suspect, I grabbed a few books (gruhn, duchoissoir, bacon), hit the internet & started doing some investigative work. the PAF's have been analyzed, practically down to the mines where they sourced the original metals. not so w. P90 info. :)

Luke Gibson

me too! even though my heart sank when my tech told me the pickup was suspect, I grabbed a few books (gruhn, duchoissoir, bacon), hit the internet & started doing some investigative work. the PAF's have been analyzed, practically down to the mines where they sourced the original metals. not so w. P90 info. :)

What do you know, I started a useful thread!! :):)

Chris Swope

hey guys,

IMG_5955.jpg

IMG_5956.jpg

IMG_5954.jpg

(vintage cover on top)
Only 2 posts in over 2 years! Al, you've got to stop gigging so much!

alschnier

hey chris!
(now it's 3). I lost track of the LPF somehow. ended up on "my" LPF for awhile (thought this had been revamped). weird. thx again for your help here. frank & I are both relieved.