• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Oxblood — origins?

Witch-hat

When and how did the term "oxblood" come into use to describe that color on a Les Paul? Until reading the term mostly on this forum, I seem to remember the color being referred to as "chocolate".

jb_abides

It's literally Ox Blood: from the 1700s in Merry Olde England, after butchering an Ox... look at the dried blood. Don't know how it landed on Jeff's guitar
:salude

mt1782

1860373716_3174017794_b.jpg

It depends on the light, I've seen a oxblood custom in a guitar shop and I thought it was black.
In direct bright sun they do look chocolate. But the above shows more oxbloody....:rofl

caleb

Here's a picture of mine.

Depending on the angle of the light it can look black or quite dried blood red.

IMG_0064.jpg
[/IMG]

Trans-Am

Last time i heard is that Jeff wanted a '54 but it was in only done in Goldtop, so he had it painted Ebony over the GT and this what turned out. Obviously Gibson cash in on it and made the Oxblood with Jeff's name in tow.:wow

peace:hank

Brownie

Do most of you "Oxblooders" keep your pups uncovered? If I had one, I think I'd like it better with covers (although it looks great without).

Brownie

Like this?

144801668.jpg

307910739.jpg

Nice one! Better with the covers on, for my tastes.

I like the reflectors, but I like the gold speed knobs better (I think). I wonder how gold reflectors would look...

ultra

Beautiful, covers and top hats, does the position of the stop bar cause any stringing or intonation problems/limitations?

peace:note

No problems at all. I think that if you use a .009 set you might have some difficulties but with .010 and higher, it is really good.

I use a sharp ridged Pigtail tailpiece which has a great break angle.

Bluestar

. . . [D]oes the position of the stop bar cause any stringing or intonation problems/limitations? peace:note

Re tuning and intonation: IMO - and according to my Peterson strobe tuner - no. Re stringing: it's a tight fit, but you can replace any broken string with the stop bar on, no problem.

The Shifter

I was at a pub in London recently, and as the streetlight shone through the window into my pint of Guinness, I looked at the color and was convinced that that's where Jeff Beck got the idea for his Oxblood LP.

lpnv59

All Access/Backstage Pass
Do most of you "Oxblooders" keep your pups uncovered? If I had one, I think I'd like it better with covers (although it looks great without).

When I saw Jeff Beck use his Oxblood with BBA, he had the pu covers on. Me and a few friends snuck backstage after the show and met the band on their way out of the theater. I asked Jeff what year and he said it was a '56, which we know is wrong. But he complained to me that it was feeding back alot. So it seems he yanked the covers off to fix the microphonic FB problem.

He bought the guitar already modded from Strings & Things in Memphis BTW. The color wasn't his idea. He just liked it according to S&T.