• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gold Top greening gallery

pawpaw

I posted this in the wrong thread, it is in response to JJBlair's search for a means to replicate accurate greening:

I wonder if the mild amount of tannic acid in the maple combines with the external acids from sweat, etc. to darken the color. Check out this chemistry experiment.

http://www.sewanee.edu/chem/Chem&Art/Detail_Pages/Projects_2007/Vaughn/index.htm

http://www.sewanee.edu/chem/Chem&Art...ughn/index.htm

JJ Blair

Interesting. However, there tends to be a clear coat between the maple and the gold. Also, what I'm seeing in some of these pics is that the greening is in the top clear coat, rather than on the gold itself. Notice how on this '69, in some of the really crackled stuff, where the gold is exposed, it's not green, but the clear lacquer is. Very curious. The clear doesn't seem to turn green on the '50s guitar, though.

DSC03494.JPG

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Interesting. However, there tends to be a clear coat between the maple and the gold. Also, what I'm seeing in some of these pics is that the greening is in the top clear coat, rather than on the gold itself. Notice how on this '69, in some of the really crackled stuff, where the gold is exposed, it's not green, but the clear lacquer is. Very curious. The clear doesn't seem to turn green on the '50s guitar, though.

There are two coats of gold. The top layer greens [due to metalic corrosion] and the undercoat of gold holds the gold color.
The clear coat yellows with age.

JJ Blair

Tom, I know that the cleat turns yellow, but I'm saying that in this instance, it appears as if the oxide patina stains the top clear coat green, in a manner you don't see on '50 guitars. That doesn't look to me simply like separation of two gold layers, with one greening. That looks to me as though the clear has also turned color.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Tom, I know that the cleat turns yellow, but I'm saying that in this instance, it appears as if the oxide patina stains the top clear coat green, in a manner you don't see on '50 guitars. That doesn't look to me simply like separation of two gold layers, with one greening. That looks to me as though the clear has also turned color.

So, what would make the clear turn green, instead of yellow? :hmm

pawpaw

There are two coats of gold. The top layer greens [due to metalic corrosion] and the undercoat of gold holds the gold color.
The clear coat yellows with age.

Is it possible then that the dark green is just the typical blue or aqua copper reaction (like in post 16) viewed through the amber or yellow filter of the aged clear? Blue plus yellow = green. If so, then a final coat or three of amber tinted lacquer after hitting the gold with acid might produce the desired result?

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
So, perhaps this late 60s gold has a different metallic content, and corodes to a different color than the 50s gold finish.

unfortunately (or really fortunately) this one hasn't greened yet....
SAM_0371.jpg

lonesomesheik

@AVERESTE , well maybe the truth is that Goldtops are really played as hard as can , not only displlayed or looked at!?
:hmm:hmm

JJ Blair

I think that Maguro might be radioactive from the Fukushima leaks. Bet that will turn the player green.

Last edited: