• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Mike Campbell joins Fleetwood Mac

ourmaninthenorth

Maybe Mike is using the gig for his own ends, it is after all what he does, plays guitar.

I just wish he'd chosen a less musically torpid band in which to scratch his itch.

I really couldn't care less about this Fleetwood Mac.

ourmaninthenorth

I've recently been giving this stuff a lot of thought. I'm not ice berg old, but I'm definitely the oldest I've ever been.

Here's by two penny worth - if I can ignore the repackaging, the reforms, the re-mixes, the re...whatever...and concentrate on the music, I can see a little clearer.

There are legion pieces of music that I've been listening to since I was a kid that have endured, such that I'm still listening to them as a middle aged man. The music hasn't changed one note, but over the time scale I have. They mean different things to me now with a lot of water under the bridge.

My point? Boiled down to the last, I simply can't beat the music in it's purest form once it's hit my ears and heart. It lasts longer than those who made it...therein lies it's absolute power. Change is inevitable, it's not always better.

No amount of "business" is ever going to be able to alter that.

The music, both it's absorption and creation, remains my anchor point, in what is often a hurricane force wind blowing in my face. Give me an album to hear, and a guitar to play, and the chances are I'll be OK...it's worked up till now.

Profound as fook eh? :biggrin:

renderit

I've recently been giving this stuff a lot of thought. I'm not ice berg old, but I'm definitely the oldest I've ever been.

Here's by two penny worth - if I can ignore the repackaging, the reforms, the re-mixes, the re...whatever...and concentrate on the music, I can see a little clearer.

There are legion pieces of music that I've been listening to since I was a kid that have endured, such that I'm still listening to them as a middle aged man. The music hasn't changed one note, but over the time scale I have. They mean different things to me now with a lot of water under the bridge.

My point? Boiled down to the last, I simply can't beat the music in it's purest form once it's hit my ears and heart. It lasts longer than those who made it...therein lies it's absolute power. Change is inevitable, it's not always better.

The music, both it's absorption and creation, remains my anchor point, in what is often a hurricane force wind blowing in my face. Give me an album to hear, and a guitar to play, and the chances are I'll be OK...it's worked up till now.

You be learning Canuckish two? Awesome! Hey. How ya doin'?

madformac

The thing is, this isn't being done for the songs or the vision of new music regardless of the bullshit statement the band put out (which has 40+ year fans seething). The arrangements will be different on this tour and arguably Mike Campbell will play the solos with more flavour as in previous tours Buckingham has been dialling in the solos exactly the same each gig since 2003.

It's being done to fulfil obligations to promoters and to avoid breach of contract. Fleetwood Mac were fully intending to go out and play pretty much the same setlist as the last 3 tours. Now of course they can't and in a way it will allow more variety in the setlist which for the average concertgoer will be good.

However, they are in their 70's now and if they hadn't had contacts in place they really should have wrapped it up. Can you imagine the Stones sacking Keith and going out on tour again now?

Fleetwood Mac have adopted the same mindset as The Eagles and will continue without a key member just for the $$$.

I have to admit I find post Green era Mac rather too vanilla but Buckingham did write and play some pretty good tunes and I love a lot of his solo work more than the Mac stuff.

The Shifter

A friend close to the camp also brought up the Musicares episode. He said the Lindsey was openly mocking Stevie when she was speaking about Tom Petty. Fake yawning and the like. I think there's also a history of bad blood between LB and TP. Apparently because of this, they are going to cut a lot of the LB songs out of the set. Also, Campbell now has a good gig to put his Burst to use and there's going to be a LOT more of the Peter Green stuff played.

Xpensive Wino

The thing is, this isn't being done for the songs or the vision of new music regardless of the bullshit statement the band put out (which has 40+ year fans seething). The arrangements will be different on this tour and arguably Mike Campbell will play the solos with more flavour as in previous tours Buckingham has been dialling in the solos exactly the same each gig since 2003.

It's being done to fulfil obligations to promoters and to avoid breach of contract. Fleetwood Mac were fully intending to go out and play pretty much the same setlist as the last 3 tours. Now of course they can't and in a way it will allow more variety in the setlist which for the average concertgoer will be good.

However, they are in their 70's now and if they hadn't had contacts in place they really should have wrapped it up. Can you imagine the Stones sacking Keith and going out on tour again now?

Fleetwood Mac have adopted the same mindset as The Eagles and will continue without a key member just for the $$$.

I have to admit I find post Green era Mac rather too vanilla but Buckingham did write and play some pretty good tunes and I love a lot of his solo work more than the Mac stuff.

Another 'golden oldies' 'greatest hits' marketing opp.

Most 'classic rock' bands should have hung it up by now. It's a young person's game.

ourmaninthenorth

Cheers Justin :salude

As an observation, Robert Fripp is also in his 70's, and continues to innovate, tour, and deliver his signature brilliance. He's the only surviving member from any of the classic Crimson line ups, and still I'm interested in every note that he plays...literally.

He chopped and changed line-ups from the off, maybe he had the inside track on how to survive and ensure longevity in this daft business?

ourmaninthenorth

A friend close to the camp also brought up the Musicares episode. He said the Lindsey was openly mocking Stevie when she was speaking about Tom Petty. Fake yawning and the like. I think there's also a history of bad blood between LB and TP. Apparently because of this, they are going to cut a lot of the LB songs out of the set. Also, Campbell now has a good gig to put his Burst to use and there's going to be a LOT more of the Peter Green stuff played.

I mean no disrespect to you personally Shifter, but if I want to hear Greeny's stuff being played, I'll listen to Peter playing it, as my above post about the original music being immune to all this marketeering repack bullshit.

I wouldn't leave the house to hear either player do anything other than their own stuff, and one in particular, the gig would have to be no further than the end of my street.

:hee

The Shifter

I can dig it.

I'm still stoked for Campbell. He's used to playing in front of a shit ton of people. I would imagine this gig will draw more than his surf band.:hank

madformac

Lindsey and Tom Petty were actually pretty good friends, despite the connection to Nicks from Petty. Tom was always very complimentary about Lindsey and they worked together on stuff over the years together. No bad blood there regardless of what you may hear from certain camps.

I think the issue on stage was Lindsey hit a string during her speech which pissed her off, then her speech went on and on and he reacted. A nod to TP is a great gesture, a long ramble during a gig maybe not the time or place maybe but Nicks is known for her stories as she rambles on like B.B. late in his career. Either way it triggered a much larger scale incident backstage where all the bad blood festering over the years between them came out from which there was no going back. Neither of them is exactly a perfect role model but I get the impression from those in the know that Nicks pushed the issue with an ultimatum.

I loved the Peter Green covers Mike and Tom did with the Heartbreakers just as I like the ones Aerosmith do as well. But Campbell, Buckingham or Vito playing Peter's songs with Fleetwood Mac are just tribute numbers to me. Not interested either

SpencerD

Stevie Nicks has publicly stated that she would quit Fleetwood Mac to join the Heartbreakers.

It never happened because Tom had a rule - " No chicks in the band."

bern1

Hilarious, just like arguments in a “senior living facility.”
Seriously, people paying for these tickets will be surprised to hear PG era FM with Campbell playing guitar. It’s not what they are coming to hear and most will never have heard of Green.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Hilarious, just like arguments in a “senior living facility.”
Seriously, people paying for these tickets will be surprised to hear PG era FM with Campbell playing guitar. It’s not what they are coming to hear and most will never have heard of Green.

Then maybe it's time they did. :ganz

Xpensive Wino

Then maybe it's time they did. :ganz

Buckingham/Nicks-era FM fetishists probably won't care, Tom. They want love songs warbled by Stevie Nicks, not guitar prowess. :spabout

I'll be surprised if the Rumours-era catalogue gets cut in favour of the original Peter Green/Danny Kirwan material.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Buckingham/Nicks-era FM fetishists probably won't care, Tom. They want love songs warbled by Stevie Nicks, not guitar prowess. :spabout

Not true ... I know several who are fans of both eras of FM, including myself.
I'm not a fan of Stevie, but I am a fan of Christine, Mick and John. Those three span all eras of Fleetwood Mac and I like songs from most versions, not just Peter Green's era.

Xpensive Wino

Not true ... I know several who are fans of both eras of FM, including myself.
I'm not a fan of Stevie, but I am a fan of Christine, Mick and John. Those three span all eras of Fleetwood Mac and I like songs from most versions, not just Peter Green's era.

Christine didn't join Fleetwood Mac until after Peter Green announced he was leaving the band, did she? :hmm