• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

SON OF A PREACHER FOR SALE

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Hey, I'm all for the prices going up. That price just surprises me.

Me too, but I am hearing of Bursts selling, so maybe that's getting to be the right price for such a Burst.
Hard to know for sure. :hmm

58burst

Guess it doesn't hurt to have an optimistic asking price, you can negotiate downward, but not upward...

seminole224

Plain-ish top, but I find this one to have a lot of character. Thanks for the link!

El Gringo

Prices are not going down anytime soon .I think it's nice .

sunburst1

It has a strong provenance being in the BOB book and it was owned by JB , used on stage & recordings , so the price is what it is ,IMO ,OMMV. :salude

JJ Blair

Here's the thing: Unless the guitar was played on some iconic song or record, like the Hotel California Burst that my now deceased buddy bought for $325,000 at the time, or unless it is itself an iconic Burst, like the Bloomfield Burst or Greenie, I have not noticed that much of a premium, just because a rock star owned it. I didn't see it on Howard Leese's Burst, or the Sambora Burst. Maybe I missed something, but my impression is that when you get into the $200,000+ range for guitars, before you even consider who owned it, nobody has really cared who owned it. At least not enough that it's gonna add another 50% on top of what the market value should probably be.

If some of you guys have examples that prove me wrong, I'm all ears. But I'm a little skeptical.

lare65

It has a strong provenance being in the BOB book and it was owned by JB , used on stage & recordings , so the price is what it is ,IMO ,OMMV. :salude

Yeah, but if JB is selling, for me its moore like "oh, maybe its not the best of bursts..."

F-Hole

Yeah, but if JB is selling, for me its moore like "oh, maybe its not the best of bursts..."

Interesting.

I see it as "life catches up with avid guitar collector". Maybe it was a pretty good fiddle if he bought it in the first place.........:hmm

Jon Brook

Anyone know Joe's reason for selling it seeing it wasn't purchased all that long ago ..?

CDaughtry

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator
Anyone know Joe's reason for selling it seeing it wasn't purchased all that long ago ..?

Joe has his favorite bursts (Skinner and Snakebite) that he plays the most. He's just like the rest of us. He's continually buying and selling shit to feed the disease.:2cool

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Here's the thing: Unless the guitar was played on some iconic song or record, like the Hotel California Burst that my now deceased buddy bought for $325,000 at the time, or unless it is itself an iconic Burst, like the Bloomfield Burst or Greenie, I have not noticed that much of a premium, just because a rock star owned it. I didn't see it on Howard Leese's Burst, or the Sambora Burst. Maybe I missed something, but my impression is that when you get into the $200,000+ range for guitars, before you even consider who owned it, nobody has really cared who owned it. At least not enough that it's gonna add another 50% on top of what the market value should probably be.

If some of you guys have examples that prove me wrong, I'm all ears. But I'm a little skeptical.

The Sambora Burst was bought because of the Sambora connection.
[not by me, I just checked it out]

21cid_6F8C32B3-5A3A-48A1-8582-6AE96137D86F_fritz.jpg

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Joe has his favorite bursts (Skinner and Snakebite) that he plays the most. He's just like the rest of us. He's continually buying and selling shit to feed the disease.:2cool

That's why I've had so many that are gone now.
It's not like I needed everyone of them. :)