• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NGD . 1989 Standard .

Rockhard

Picked this up all in original condition with original rare fleece lined case . I like it a lot . IMG_E7728.jpgIMG_E7729.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7731 (2).jpg
    IMG_7731 (2).jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_7727.jpg
    IMG_7727.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_7730 (2).jpg
    IMG_7730 (2).jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Rockhard

Put some new pickups rings , 500k CTS vol pots and full set up sorted . 89 rings and strings 2.jpg89 C2 Pickup.jpg

Attachments

• 89 C3 Cavity.jpg
    89 C3 Cavity.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Rockhard

Cheers fellas . Yes it is rockin LP ! My 2002 R8 and Stig built now sound worried :wah

Big Al

I like that era. Good guitars and I find the Bill Larwence humbuckers suit me just fine. Only thing I'd do different is to change to taller vintage style pickup rings. I'd just prefer the pickup sit in the ring more and can't abide having most of the pickup above the ring.

All that is just my obsession and means nothing really. Still, I can't thank good ol' DiMarzio enough for getting me thru the 70's withh their tall rings!!

Also glad to see you stressed SETUP! So important, so overlooked. Looks like you found a real nice one!! The neck profile on those are really nice.

Last edited:

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
Cheers fellas . Yes it is rockin LP ! My 2002 R8 and Stig built now sound worried :wah

Great looking guitar! But what's a "Stig built?" I thought he just drove cars?
smiley_emoticon.gif

Rockhard

I like that era. Good guitars and I find the Bill Larwence humbuckers suit me just fine. Only thing I'd do different is to change to taller vintage style pickup rings. I'd just prefer the pickup sit in the ring more and can't abide having most of the pickup above the ring.

All that is just my obsession and means nothing really. Still, I can't thank good ol' DiMarzio enough for getting me thru the 70's withh their tall rings!!

Also glad to see you stressed SETUP! So important, so overlooked. Looks like you found a real nice one!! The neck profile on those are really nice.

Thanks Al . I like the 59 style neck and frets . I happened across this lovely example by chance . Yes the BLs sound great particular after height tweaked and balanced . I replaced broken pup rings with Standard ones and the bridge pup don't sit noticabley high for me to bother .

Rockhard

Great looking guitar! But what's a "Stig built?" I thought he just drove cars?
smiley_emoticon.gif

Cheers Ed . Like the anonymous driver , an anonymous master luthier was commissioned to build replica bursts cloned from originals , old growth woods and methods , authentic parts with original tools ... you will find info if you google Stig Bursts . Mine's a goldtop . IMG_7658.jpgIMG_7660.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7661.jpg
    IMG_7661.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 430
Last edited:

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member

Big Al

Thanks Al . I like the 59 style neck and frets . I happened across this lovely example by chance . Yes the BLs sound great particular after height tweaked and balanced . I replaced broken pup rings with Standard ones and the bridge pup don't sit noticabley high for me to bother .

Oh, no explanation needed. The ring thing is just a quirk of mine. I think THAT Standard is greatand I'm glad for you. Those are just great Les Pauls and so overlooked.

Rockhard

Oh, no explanation needed. The ring thing is just a quirk of mine. I think THAT Standard is great and I'm glad for you. Those are just great Les Pauls and so overlooked.

No but I agree , I too don't like look of pups standing well above rings . I'd been browsing around 2002 and lately 96 models as talk of these being good years then I saw this 89 unsold and reduced and told my tech . He said to go look at it as this was a period when Gibson upped quality as Henry was getting established .

Big Al

No but I agree , I too don't like look of pups standing well above rings . I'd been browsing around 2002 and lately 96 models as talk of these being good years then I saw this 89 unsold and reduced and told my tech . He said to go look at it as this was a period when Gibson upped quality as Henry was getting established .

Post 83 Les Pauls are excellent. One piece bodies with correct shape and neck, return of small headstocks, an excellent, proper Les Paul neck profile and good hardware. Many 2pc tops as well as three pc with great carves, [dish tops],. Pre Henry and post Henry. HJ doesn't factor. This was a great era for Les Pauls.

Rockhard

Post 83 Les Pauls are excellent. One piece bodies with correct shape and neck, return of small headstocks, an excellent, proper Les Paul neck profile and good hardware. Many 2pc tops as well as three pc with great carves, [dish tops],. Pre Henry and post Henry. HJ doesn't factor. This was a great era for Les Pauls.

I picked up on the 83-89 thing . I'm not a fan of the obviously visible 3 piece top though . If I'd been this happy with my first LP , a new 98 Standard I may not have gone searching for better !

Big Al

Well IMO, Brother you made an informed, smart choice. I'm glad to see you were able to pick up on the very col build of this era. I'd much rather have one like yours than most of the younger used ones. I do agree on the 2pc top, it just looks right. The wood, though heavy, is high quality Central American Mahogany with high grade clear Eastern Hard Maple. I find the 59 rounded neck profile PERFECT!

Sometimes in the flametop, psuedo burst frenzy, excellent playing and sounding, high quality, plain ol' Standards get overlooked. These guitars have a strong, zealous fan base including touring and recording pro's.

Before my medical issues ended my musical career, I was actively searching for a clean, stock, original 2pc top Wine Red Standard like my 88 that I loved and was stolen off the stage at a gig. I still miss it.

Rockhard

Well IMO, Brother you made an informed, smart choice. I'm glad to see you were able to pick up on the very col build of this era. I'd much rather have one like yours than most of the younger used ones. I do agree on the 2pc top, it just looks right. The wood, though heavy, is high quality Central American Mahogany with high grade clear Eastern Hard Maple. I find the 59 rounded neck profile PERFECT!

Sometimes in the flametop, psuedo burst frenzy, excellent playing and sounding, high quality, plain ol' Standards get overlooked. These guitars have a strong, zealous fan base including touring and recording pro's.

Before my medical issues ended my musical career, I was actively searching for a clean, stock, original 2pc top Wine Red Standard like my 88 that I loved and was stolen off the stage at a gig. I still miss it.

Sorry to learn of your health issue mate and having a guitar you've bonded with stolen is emotional . I've had Fender Standards and RIs , PRS and lately a Duesenberg 59er and Tokai LS150 but really I'm a Gibson guy . Though I had a Flying V it's LPs I identify with which is down to my ' heroes ' I guess .

I've yet to weigh it but I reckon it's under 10lbs as feels lighter than my Goldtop which is exactly 10 . don't think it's a new acquisition thing but this particular guitar has surprised me more than other LPs I've bought . In last year or so I let go a 2011 R9 , 2011 Don Felder R8/R9 Stinger and before that a 2015 Standard . All good guitars but didn't quite hit the spot . So yes I can now say a good Standard is up there with the Historics and I don't say it lightly my other two LPs should be worried ! I've posted guitars before in reissue forum but this is my 2002 R8 with R9 neck . I thought it was loud with SD WLH pups but now tamer than the 89 .

Cheers dude

Attachments

• IMG_5953.jpg
    IMG_5953.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited: