• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1950's Gibson Case Manufacturers

treyrab

Hi Everyone - If my memory serves me correctly, Gibson used Lifton, Stone and GEIB for their guitar cases in the 50's. In the picture below, the style on the left is Lifton (badged on the inside), but does anyone know the manufacturer for the style on the right? No badge inside, but the "Gibson" badge near the handle. Cheers!

od_RZEqt9U4OJqVNHHe0O7d9CZepQTxxIcbqr4onivy5R5xYZwTLFM1eLQeJQPHk2HmBhFrY6wVZylXce-aR3reiFYPwpqZ0jWQvUTc6-9gk9hwM1QpVQBaryh7r-gu29YoqIbKztaw=w2400

treyrab

Looks like another Lifton to me. :hmm

It very well could be Tom. The material certainly looks similar/the same. All of my cases like the ones on the left A) have an interior Lifton badge and B) no exterior Gibson badge, while all of my cases on the right have the opposite (no interior Lifton badge, but an exterior Gibson). So perhaps Lifton manufactured both, but sold the cases on the left into the market and the cases on the right directly to Gibson?

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I think most Lifton cases I have seen did not have a Lifton logo.

Frutiger

It very well could be Tom. The material certainly looks similar/the same. All of my cases like the ones on the left A) have an interior Lifton badge and B) no exterior Gibson badge, while all of my cases on the right have the opposite (no interior Lifton badge, but an exterior Gibson). So perhaps Lifton manufactured both, but sold the cases on the left into the market and the cases on the right directly to Gibson?

My cases reflect this too - if there's a Gibson badge on the outside there's no Lifton badge on the inside and vice versa. You're theory sounds very plausible to me.

Oh and whilst I'm here, I'm absolutely loving you're old ES-5N Switchmaster that's now mine. :salude