• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Classic Antique Tone...

camohoyt

I understand they have 57 Classic pickups which in my opinion are pretty harsh and bright, yet very rock-n-roll.

I was just wondering if they sound even brighter with no pickup covers?
Anymore feedback than 57's with the covers?
Any wax potting?

I'm sure only Axel knows if they have wax potting. He knows stuff that Gibson don't even know about there own guitars. Like an angel from Les Paul Heaven!:halo :halo :halo

Aahzz

I'd not describe my CA as either harsh or birght. It's very balanced, actually - my R7 was brighter and harsher. My CA is a quite warm guitar.

Axel

I'm sure only Axel knows if they have wax potting. He knows stuff that Gibson don't even know about there own guitars. Like an angel from Les Paul Heaven!:halo :halo :halo

Haha, thank you very much! :) Are you sure you meant Axel?

Well... being an angel from Les Paul heaven, I must return to my guitar playing throne, so long earthlings!

(This is going into my signature...)

EDIT:
From the Gibson site:
Every Gibson pickup is potted in a special wax bath to insure that microphonic feedback due to internal vibration is eliminated. All covered models receive a second wax bath to further protect the pickup.

Last edited:

Rare Form

Well, when my Pro Tools rig gets up and running, I will have to post some clips. I would not say the Classic Antique is harsh or bright in and of itself. But, it is a bit brighter than a 99 Standard I compared it to. This one had the 496/498 pickups. I also compared it with a 87 Standard with 57s...same set up as the Classic Antque except these picups were covered. I found the Classic Antique to sound very similar, but the Classic Antique had a more in your face presence that I like. Think Journey's Stone In Love beginning. It sounds just like that in my opinion.

camohoyt

Rare Form- I would love to hear some sound clips. There are no Classic Antiques at any local guitar dealer here in Kansas City. I must say, I love the look of the Antiques without the pickup covers, Very Sweet Lookin'.

Rare Form

Rare Form- I would love to hear some sound clips. There are no Classic Antiques at any local guitar dealer here in Kansas City. I must say, I love the look of the Antiques without the pickup covers, Very Sweet Lookin'.

It will be a while before I can get some tones up. I am rebuilding my computer. I need to put a new moterhboard in and re-load Windows, Pro Tools, etc. But, as soon as I can, I will get some clips up.

WurstBurst

According to the Gibson website, the 57 Classics are essentially the same pups as the Burstbucker 2. The difference being that the 2 bobbins on a 57 classic have equal windings, while the 2 bobbins on a Burstbucker 2 have unequal windings.

Again, according to the website, the 57 classics are intended to be "creamy" while the burstbuckers are intended to have more "edge" or "bite".

The 490R and 490T are also very similar to the 57 Classics, but the website isn't specific as to what is different in the manufacture to give it a bit more "upper mids"

All of these pickups are based on alnico 2 magnets and should be fairly similar and at the lowest end of the brightness spectrum. The 498T and burstbucker pros (based on alnico 5), and various ceramic models are (theoretically) brighter than the alnico 2 based pups.

Just according to the literature, the 57 classic/classic plus should be the least bright humbuckers gibson makes, with the possible exception of burstbucker 1 and 2 combination.

I'd consider my classic antique to be fairly dark sounding (keep in mind I've always had very bright guitars, so I'm a little biased on this). Whatever the case, I'm loving the sound. :note

Trans-Am

According to the site? This is the exact comparison chart.
'57s/BB/490-498...are all somewaht closer and similar to its output level/windings.All somewhat almost in the same spectrum as oppoesed to the rest.The difference will be on the height adjustment on your axe.

Peace:hank

DanD

FWIW... The 490/498 has been my fave since they became available on LPs. The 490 is the warm neck pup and the 498 is a nice lead pup. Before all the pup hype this was the combination all LPs came with. To my ear they are still the best. But then I actually like the 496/500 ceramics...

Boogie Bill

FWIW... The 490/498 has been my fave since they became available on LPs. The 490 is the warm neck pup and the 498 is a nice lead pup. Before all the pup hype this was the combination all LPs came with. To my ear they are still the best. But then I actually like the 496/500 ceramics...

I actually like the Hot Ceramics better than the 490R/498T. The "Modern PAF" 490R/498T set just do not work very well together, IMHO. I'd get the amp set for one, and then I would want to adjust the amp again if I flipped the selector. I could see though, that with a different playing and musical style; and perhaps a different amp (say a Marshall instead of my stable of Mesa Boogies); the 490R/498T pickups could be just the ticket. I will concede that; but they just weren't right for me.

I swapped the 490R/498T set out of my LP Supreme for a Duncan Seth Lover set and couldn't be happier. At least the tone between the pickups is consistent. The Seth neck has more clarity than the 490R; the Seth Bridge is clearer, sweeter and smoother than the 498T.

I like the BB 1&2 set in my '58 Historic as well. And the '57 Classic and Classic Plus in my new Classic Antique Fireburst--they're right in that ballpark, too. Those are all really good pickups, and to me the differences are fairly subtle. Frankly, I'm not sure I would have bought this guitar if it had come with either the Hot Ceramics or the 490R/498Ts.

What does it sound like? It sounds "right". And that's all that matters to me.

Bill

Rare Form

Describing sound is such a hard thing to do. And comparing the Classic Antique to something else that is out there is also hard to do since it has its own unique sound. The only thing I can say is PRESENCE. Think of a presence control on an amp, it gives a bit of brightness, but what I have always found it does is give some life to the treble and mid settings so as to make the sound more up front and not in the distance. This, IMO is how the Classic Antique differs from some more "solid" Pauls I have compared it to. There are definately some acoustic properties to the tone. But yet, it retains that Les Paul roundedness to it. To me it sounds like when you find a solid Les Paul with really nice resonant mohogany. The 57s on this guitar really pull the whole tone together. There is a definant creamy tone while at the same time putting this creamy tone in the higher mid spectrum which I find very pleasant. When comparing the Classic Antique to my CS 356, the 356 is a lower volume output guitar even though they share the same pickups (of course the 57s on the 356 are covered) but the Les Paul just has more punch than the 356 does. For me, the Classic Antique is fantastic because I love the sound of a 336/356 and also love the tone of a traditional Les Paul. This Classic Antique can really come close to both, so it makes the Classic Antique a very versitle guitar. Something this guitar can do, that other Les Pauls I have played cannot do is make really good use of both pickups on at once. This is really a fantastic tone. You get all of the creamy, woody tone typical of the neck pick up, while really retaining that bite and punch of the treble pick up. (Any Classic Antique owners out there finding the same thing??)

Anyway, you'll have to play one to believe it. If you can't play one, then order one from Saul at Center City Music. He'll give you a good deal and if you don't like it, sell it on ebay and you'll lose no money. Or sell it to one of us on the Forum. Many people here are getting interested in these as Gibsons best regular production Les Paul in some time.

mmcquain

...There are definately some acoustic properties to the tone (of the Classic Antique)... When comparing the Classic Antique to my CS 356, the 356 is a lower volume output guitar even though they share the same pickups (of course the 57s on the 356 are covered) but the Les Paul just has more punch than the 356 does...

For me, the Classic Antique is fantastic because I love the sound of a 336/356 and also love the tone of a traditional Les Paul. This Classic Antique can really come close to both, so it makes the Classic Antique a very versitle guitar. Something this guitar can do, that other Les Pauls I have played cannot do is make really good use of both pickups on at once...

Anyway, you'll have to play one to believe it. If you can't play one, then order one from Saul at Center City Music. He'll give you a good deal and if you don't like it, sell it on ebay and you'll lose no money. Or sell it to one of us on the Forum. Many people here are getting interested in these as Gibsons best regular production Les Paul in some time.

+100 to the above points you made. I've found the same to be true with my Classic Antique vs. my CS356 vs. my LP Custom (49_ pickups).

Also, you're right on about Saul (that's where I got my Classic Antique). I will put a plug in here for Matt's Music as well (the R0 came from there). Both good dealers - heck all of our forum dealers are great guys (Bruce at Wildwood set me up with my T5, etc.) and our fellow forum members seem to take good care of each other (my 356 came from a LPF member and I'm selling the R0 to another member now)... ain't it great to be in with such a good group of people :salude If you do it right you can usually get your money back out of things on eBay or through this forum - remember, buy low / sell high :)

camohoyt

I would love to purchase a CA from Saul, unfortunately I just bought a standard from him a few months ago. I bought a standard in Vintage Sunburst and love it. I was really close to pulling the trigger on a Vintage Sunburst Classic last year but just couldn't get over the hotter pickups and green inlays. So when Gibson started making Vintage Sunburst Standards again, I jumped all over it. But I know if I didn't have the option of a VS standard, I definetely would buy the new Classic. They look so sweet, especially without the pickup covers. If I only had more money....

P.S.-Saul is the MAN! He is my 1st choice when purchasing a Les Paul!
http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125974
http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125972
http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126579

mmcquain

...I bought a standard in Vintage Sunburst and love it....

That Standard is a great looking guitar and its so cool that you've got Slash's original art/signature on it. He's a hero of mine as well... very cool! And don't worry, one day you'll have a Classic Antique... the GAS never stops!!!

mmcquain

Hey all you "family members" - I've started a new Classic Antique "Registry" thread for us to use as a single reference point for Classic Antique pics, weight info, etc. etc. Please post some of your "family pics" over there. I'd love for that thread to grow (like Sean's R0 thread, etc.) into a resource for those that may be considering a Classic Antique purchase. Of course, it will also let us enjoy each other's great looking guitars! Thanks...