• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Calling all 1968 / 1969 Les Paul Owners.

garywright

Wilko said:
I'm wondering about "st". I don't think there are any from that era that are "short tenons". They were either long original style, or short original style (transitional tenon). All of them are visible from the pickup cavity.

A short tenon does not show in the cavity, and wasn't introduced until early-mid 70s.

...mid 70's huh ?

garywright

..Wilko, I've already posted that my '69 has one ..you disputed it earlier in this thread that it didn't happen 'till the mid 70's ...Stumbler has posted that his '69 Custom has a short tenon as well...

Stumbler

Does anyone have pics of the so-called transitional tenon? Maybe I've got one in my 69 Custom, but I thought it was short. Maybe once they went with 3 piece necks, the tenons all went short too. I definitely have a 3 piece neck and it is definitely a 69.

Inquiring minds want to know ...

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
gentlegiant said:
..Wilko, I've already posted that my '69 has one ..you disputed it earlier in this thread that it didn't happen 'till the mid 70's ...Stumbler has posted that his '69 Custom has a short tenon as well...

You have a 69 with no tenon showing in the cavity? I've never seen one that way.

Do you know what a short tenon looks like?

Stumbler

I took another look in the neck pup cavity of my 69 Custom.

The tenon of this 3 piece neck protrudes maybe 1/16" into a space that is about
1 1/2" x 1/8" and about 1/2" deep. It still looks like a short tenon to me.

Repeat - it is definitely a 69 Custom.

M

mtndon

1) 531xxx
2) 1pc Neck, small headstock, no volute
3) GT
4) installed Humbuckers
5) 1 pc body
6,7,8) "I dont know".

Hope it has a good home.

Last edited:

Wilko

Stumbler said:

If you can see any evidence of a tenon in the pickup cavity, it's not a "short tenon"

As I posted earlier, a short tenon DOES NOT enter the cavity at all. If it's not long, and you can see it in the cavity, it's what we've been calling a "transitional tenon".

Here's a short tenon in my '76 custom:

short_tenon.jpg

Last edited:

gordyh

I have a picture of the transitional tennon in my 69 Custom. I will e-mail it to one of you if you can post it. I'm not set up to post picts on the forum.

garywright

Wilko said:
You have a 69 with no tenon showing in the cavity? I've never seen one that way.

Do you know what a short tenon looks like?

...that's right Wilko ..and yes I know what one looks like.

Last edited:

toxpert

Case Question...

I have the original form-fitted case for my '68 that needs one item repaired.

The case is overall 'good' condition except for handle - this was lost years ago.

Who/where is the best source for obtaining a accurate replacement? The handle mounts are in good condition.. it's just the handle that is no longer with us. Removing and reusing the handle retaining pins looks very feasible.

Note... just like my Lifton case from the '50s.. this '68 case is really loose fitting. For day-to-day transport, I purchased a new black alligator Gibson case - these newer cases provide multiple points for the neck as well as for body support and keep the guitar from sliding around in the case. I am really quite impressed with this latest evolution of the Gibson case.
________
Vaporizer-Info.Com

Last edited:

DaveTV

gentlegiant said:
...that's right Wilko ..and yes I know what one looks like.

You're going to have to post pics of that one, as no one has ever seen one made like that, ever. :ahem

You would have the only one in existence. :bug

It could be worth millions. :bug :bug

Or, you could be wrong about the year. :ahem

But definitely one of the two. ;)

:jim

DaveTV

Stumbler said:

It may look like a short tenon to you, but it's not.

If you can see it, it's not short, by definition.

garywright

DaveTV said:
You would have the only one in existence. :bug

It could be worth millions. :bug :bug

...but beings I'm such a nice guy I'd sell it to you for $500,000 ...and also include a late 70's protector case without lining :)

Wilko

Mr Giant,
I may have added o the confusion on your guitar earlier in this thread by saying it was a 69. I missed the short tenon part and was using the three piece neck and such to say it wasn't a 68 more than trying to say it was a 69.

The odds of have ing a 1-piece body with a non-center seamed top are very slim. Having a 1-piece body with a short tenon is impossible (in 1969)

In looking again at what you posted, I found something quite odd about your guitar.

It doesn't exist! :bug :bug :wha

garywright

Wilko said:
Mr Giant,
I may have added o the confusion on your guitar earlier in this thread by saying it was a 69. I missed the short tenon part and was using the three piece neck and such to say it wasn't a 68 more than trying to say it was a 69.

The odds of have ing a 1-piece body with a non-center seamed top are very slim. Having a 1-piece body with a short tenon is impossible (in 1969)

In looking again at what you posted, I found something quite odd about your guitar.

?

Last edited:

garywright

Wilko said:

..here's a shot of the guitar that doesn't exist

2100_p34841.jpg

..funny thing was Philtone did a wonderful fretjob on it last year ...

Last edited:

Wilko

Sorry, I thought I was making an obvious joke. Mostly about the levels of "trainspotting" that we do here.

We all make mistakes now and again about some of the features and which is called what or whatever.

I did want to get this cleared up so Moonweasel's data would be right.

With that in mind, you seem to have a '69 Les Paul custom with a three-piece neck, transitional tenon, one-piece body, no dot logo, etc.

Cool guitar either way.

garywright

Wilko said:
Sorry, I thought I was making an obvious joke. Mostly about the levels of "trainspotting" that we do here.

Wilko ...maybe I read something into your post that wasn't your intent ...my apologies to you ....right ..my guitar is what appears to be an early '69 ...I seem to recall John Catton posting three tenon pics ...one was the short ..the other transitional and the last a long tenon pic ....my guitar is similar to what Stumbler described above and also what I seem to recall John calling a short tenon ...it couldn't possibly get much shorter as it has a very minute protrusion into the cavity ..maybe 1/32" ...again my apologies :)

Rev.WillieVK

1969 GT with 'transitional' tenon:

198_p8919.jpg

FWIW 1-piece body, 3(5)-piece neck, no volute or Made In USA stamp.