• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Calling all 1968 / 1969 Les Paul Owners.

moonweasel

Here's the question list again so people dont have to scroll back so far to read them:

0)Custom / GT
1)Headstock size and does it have a dotted 'i' (headstock size doesnt apply to LPC)
2)first three digits of serial only please.
3)neck: 1 or 3 pc. (volute: y/n)
4)body: 1 or 3 pc
5)center seam top: y/n
6)P-90 / MHB (GTs only)
7)tenon: lt/tt
8)pot codes
9)any other info my stupid ass has forgotten to ask. [crown inlay, sliver of maple above mahogany for early 69s, routing style, case style, etc]

Once again, if you arent sure about something or just dont feel like looking for pot codes [etc], just leave it blank or put a "?".

Pete Cage

OK, I want to get in on this so I can figure out just what I've got.

0)GT originally - stripped and refinished at some point with a horrible bile-colored stain, possibly with a mop.
1)Large headstock; no dot
2)897xxx; no Made in USA stamp
3)3-pc. neck, with only the tiniest hint of a volute if you squint just right.
4)3-pc. body
5)looks like two seams on the top, neither anywhere near the center.
6)MHB originally; I put in P-90s
7)Not sure about tenon; will have to look again
8)1376943
9)n/a

Last edited:

moonweasel

Pete Cage said:
OK, I want to get in on this so I can figure out just what I've got.

0)GT originally - stripped and refinished at some point with a horrible bile-colored stain, possibly with a mop.

9)n/a

LOL. I love the line about the mop. Ive seen a few guitars like that myself.

Pete, are you really sure youve got a one-piece neck? If you are, then your guitar is a strange one.

Judging by your specs, (thanks btw), you have a late 69 Les Paul. Very cool.

Late 69's without fail have three piece necks. Well, so far, thats what this thread is all about. :)

Zorglubs (see above) seems, although pictures can be deceiving, to be one piece with a volute. Which I havent ever seen.

MrMike

Okay, here's mine in the updated format;
0) GT
1) Lg; No dot
2) 844xxx
3) 3 pc., no volute, no Made in U.S.A.
4) 1 pc
5) No
6) MHB
7) tt
8) 1376934
9) Rectangular case w/orange lining

Stumbler

moonweasel said:
Here's the question list again so people dont have to scroll back so far to read them:

0)Custom / GT
1)Headstock size and does it have a dotted 'i' (headstock size doesnt apply to LPC)
6)P-90 / MHB (GTs only)
8)pot codes
9)any other info my stupid ass has forgotten to ask. [crown inlay, sliver of maple above mahogany for early 69s, routing style, case style, etc]
QUOTE]

Hey ... better late than never I suppose. And a 69 Custom reporting in:

0) Custom from 1969
1) typical Custom style headstock, no dot over the i in Gibson
2) 835xxx pressed into the back of the headstock
3) 3pc neck, no volute, no made in USA
4) 1 pc body
5) n, 3 pc top - I can just make out the seams
6) n/a (big ass-whooping humbuckers)
7) short tenon
8) 68 pots code is 1376852
9) other details:
.022-400 DC Black Beauty caps with orange markings.
2 patent number humbuckers - I've had the covers on and off over the years.
TOM came with white hard plastic inserts.
tailpiece is very light "pot metal" where most of the gold plating has flaked off to show black/alum color.
black witch hat knobs with gold top insets for VOL. and TONE.
originally had tiny "fretless wonder" frets, but redone with Martin wire.
ebony fingerboard is jet black with hardly any pores noticable.
case was small black violin shaped with yellow lining.
I bought it from Manny's on 48th St. in NYC in Dec. '69 so I know it well.

poe

0)Custom / GT
6)P-90 / MHB (GTs only)
8)pot codes
--------------------------------------------------------------------------0) GT 1)big headstock, not dotted i 2)558 3)1 pc. neck, no volute 4)1 pc. body 5)? 6)routed, think it had p90 screw marks 7)?? 8) 12/68 9)LP shaped case..gold lining...and thanks again!!..poe

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Don't forget, the rectangular case was the lower priced optional hardshell for this model. ;)

Red Baron

TW59 said:
Don't forget, the rectangular case was the lower priced optional hardshell for this model. ;)

That's an interesting point, I always thought there must have been change-over at some point (around early - mid '69) to the rectangular case.

Pete Cage

>Pete, are you really sure youve got a one-piece neck? If you are, then your >guitar is a strange one.

Well, by golly, I stand corrected. Your post inspired me to get the guitar under a really good light and under my bench magnifier, and I'll be darned if it isn't a 3-piece neck. The grain and color (and heavily-sanded refin glop) matched it up so well that it really did look like a single piece of wood. But I can now see the seams.

I've edited my original posting. Thanks for helping me figure that one out.

PC

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Red Baron said:
That's an interesting point, I always thought there must have been change-over at some point (around early - mid '69) to the rectangular case.

I need to check all my period price lists. I remember one of the 68 price lists showed the Les Paul available with the formfit "Faultless" case, and the optional, lower priced rectangular case. Not sure how many years they were offered that way, but I know early Deluxes that came with the rectangular case, new.

grazy

Moonweasel...resent the pictures to both email addresses...I'm pretty sure you'll get them now.

Also, has anyone experienced what I did with my original ABR-1 bridge....it literally sagged in the middle and couldn't get the action right at all. I still have it, but replaced with a new Gibson piece, and it is clear my original had sagged to the point it was a flat radius at best.

Someone posted that when the volume controls are at full a full 10, and then when you drop it back to 9 or so, the tone gets less bright...this is how they are wired up, as I noticed this from the time I bought it brand new in '69. I recently changed the pots/caps (but still have originals!) to the RSR electronics kit, and now the tone is independent of the volume...and there appears to be more tone flexibility than before.

moonweasel

ABR's sag like crazy.

My custom had three sagged, ruined ABR's in it when I found it. All were rusted and corroded beyond recognition as well.

Red Baron

grazy said:
Someone posted that when the volume controls are at full a full 10, and then when you drop it back to 9 or so, the tone gets less bright...this is how they are wired up, as I noticed this from the time I bought it brand new in '69.

I've experienced this on most of my Les Paul's (including a '69 I used to own years ago) but not on my '68, the pots/caps appear to be originals as well, and it maintains clarity and tone as I lower the volume for either pickup.

Fading Fast

0)Custom
1)No dot on i
2)889
3)3 pc. neck, no volute
4)1 pc. body, no evidence of laminate stripe.
5)3 piece top with roughly even seams
6)
7)TT
8)33rd week of 1969. Only one pot code visible, all wiring appears original.
9)Holywood headstock veneer, early pantographed logo, nylon saddles (original bridge retired for fear of metal fatigue), lightweight tailpiece, witchhat knobs, non logo, arched lid case with gold lining.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Okay, briefly, here's the case scenario:
1968 through mid 1971, the oblong case or the shaped case ["Faultless"].
In late 71 a third hardshell was added [:wink] called a "shaped case", at the same price as the oblong [$60], while still offering the Faultless shaped case [$80].
These three lasted through 1973, but in 1974 the only case offered was the Faultless shaped case.
;)

lanman

moonweasel said:
GT for sure.

To be honest and hopefully not offend anyone out there, but Ive never seen a burst refin on an Rx or any guitar that really has the "look".

Just take a look at Wilko's gold top, that thing is f$%king gourgeous. Fantastic. (Its got its original GT still though, but RS's stuff looks pretty damned good.) Hell, I bet the RS guys could use Wilkos as a guide doing yours. If it matches the amount of wear you have on the back of course.

Id bet Wilko would probably pony up a good high res shot for ya if you asked nicely. ;)

PS - But then again, youve got a center seamed top, so a burst would look "right" in that respect.

I agree about refins not having the "Look".

I thought I'd post a few pictures of one of my 68's. I'll also post the details for the research project. My other two are in the shop and I'll post the info from them two next week sometime.

This is a 68 one piece body and neck. It was refined 20 years ago apparently by a Violin manufacturer so it has aged nicely. I really like the transition color from the back to the top. It's a two piece center seam top that is definitely not a book match.....but looks great with the subtle burst.

Guitars005.jpg

Guitars003.jpg

Guitars001.jpg

I originally bought this guitar to have it routed for PAFs and I was going to have it redone as a Gold Top as well. When I got it I fell in love with the finish and scraped the GT idea. I know most of you can relate to this......I can't seem to get myself to route this guitar! I've got the 62 PAFs ready to go.....and everytime I decide to take her in for the surgery.....my heart gets in the way! I think it's too pretty and plays fastastic as is. My brain has become totally resitant to customization when it comes to vintage guitars.

The headstock does not appear to have ever been refined...yet there is no Les Paul Script or Crown.....any comments on this?

Guitars006.jpg

I have never seen a 68 with the outer "cheater" rings on the pickups. I don't know if they are stock or not. I took them off.....the routing is perfect and the guitar really doesn't need them.....but I think they happen to look great on this guitar and if I took them off there would be 8 nail holes.

lanman

1) 537XXX
2) One Piece neck
3) Gold Top
4) P-90's
5) 1 Piece body
6) ???
7) Center Seam
8) 6850
9) no dotted i
10) Countoured yellow lined fitted case.