• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

"Correct" pot and cap values for P90 equipped LP Special

StrongFade

I've just bought my first Lester, a 2000-model Special equipped with Seymour Duncan Antiquity P90s. The original Gibson pots are 500K with .047uf caps.

I'm planning to replace the pots, caps, switch, jack and wiring with a kit from Acme Guitar Works and I'm looking for recommendations on pot and cap values.

The most common advice seems to be 250K pots for single coils and 500K for buckers, but there seems to be plenty of people using 500K pots with P90s. As for cap values, Acme provide a choice of .015, .022, .033, and .047uf, with no real description of the differences.

Recognising that there is probably no definitive answer to this question, I'm interested in hearing some opinions on tonal variations with different combinations of pots and caps.

As for the sound I'm trying to achieve (if this is of any help), I would be happy anywhere between Hubert Sumlin, Freddie King, and Townshend on "Live at Leeds" (yes I know that amps, and more importantly talent play a large part in tone, but it's always good to have something to aim at :) ).

Any pointers greatly appreciated.

sliding-tom

Do you like its sound ? Then leave it as is. I have several P 90 guitars, some with 500 k pots, some with 300 k pots. Although 300 ks don't work too well with humbuckers, they are O.K. with P 90s IMO. 250 kO is O.K. for Fender-style SC but I wouldn't use it for a P90. As to cap values: the higher the value, the more treble roll-off they have. Usually a .022 is O.K. but tastes differ. They are not too expensive, so you might want to get a few different values and try them out.

Don

My 2001 production Junior came from the factory with a volume pot that measures about 275k and tone that measures about 440k. It had an .022 cap.

I have 500k pots in it, a .022 cap and revised wiring and it sounds much better.

StrongFade

Don said:
My 2001 production Junior came from the factory with a volume pot that measures about 275k and tone that measures about 440k. It had an .022 cap.

I have 500k pots in it, a .022 cap and revised wiring and it sounds much better.

Thanks for the info. Is there a circuit diagram or drawing available for your revised wiring?

Cream Fan

50s Juniors and Specials had 500K volumes and 250K tones, with .022 value caps.

StrongFade

Thanks for all the advice. After some more online searching, and a chat with Roy from RS Guitar Works, I've ordered one of his premium historic wiring kits.

Cheers

Mitchell

50s Juniors and Specials had 500K volumes and 250K tones, with .022 value caps.

In addition, Ive had some that had both 500K Centralab #134 code vol & tone pots and some that had both 250K Centralab vol & tone pots.
Earlier Juniors had the #615 code IRC/CTS 500K pots in them.