• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

$7500 for a refinned/refretted 52 Goldtop

blauserk

I have a lead on a 1-owner 1952 LP that was refinished and refretted in the late 1970s by Mark Sampson of Matchless/Bad Cat (I confirmed that with Sampson himself). It's all original otherwise and the guy wants $7500 for it. Is that a buy assuming it plays as well as 52s do?

plaintop

It seems high, but the 52s with issues and changes seem to be all over the map right now.

Chef Greg

I think I know which one you're referring to, drive over there and get it. Top only refin, isn't it?
You snooze, you lose. :2cents (today's retail = tomorrow's wholesale it seems of late).

blauserk

Chef Greg, do you have personal experience with that guitar? I believe it is a top-only refinish on the body.

Chef Greg

blauserk said:
Chef Greg, do you have personal experience with that guitar? I believe it is a top-only refinish on the body.
No, but I would definitely check it out if I were in the market -- I would want to do the deal in person. My wife is from that neck of the woods & may know the seller.

blauserk

BFS: If I pass, I most definitely will send you the guy's e-mail address. Are you looking for a backup for your own '52?

Chef Greg: Anything good or bad to say about the seller? He's been pretty forthcoming, but all I know about him is what I've learned while discussing the guitar.

bluesforstevie

blauserk said:
BFS: If I pass, I most definitely will send you the guy's e-mail address. Are you looking for a backup for your own '52?

Chef Greg: Anything good or bad to say about the seller? He's been pretty forthcoming, but all I know about him is what I've learned while discussing the guitar.

Well, I'm looking for something that I wont mind changing to 57 specs...

Musicman

I think we're looking at the same guitar. I just got some pics from Craig of the neck, headstock and cavities. Email me at tonyvalentine@aol.com so we don't both price ourselves out on this one.

blauserk

I've decided to pass. Tony Valentine (Musicman) has dibs, but if Dan and Ike will e-mail me at john dot elwood at usdoj dot gov, I'll give you contact information and can give you some photos.

Good luck.

Musicman

I'm also going to pass as I don't like the fact I can't pay and play in person. I hope someone gets a good look at it and gets a good one.