• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1970 Les Paul Professional

Grog

My Professional, according to the pot codes,(1376944), no volute & no "Made in USA" stamp, is a 1969. According to the shipping totals book, only two were shipped in 1969. I've seen many that claim to be from 1969. I've had it for around 15 years.

Finding an original case for one of these might be tough, it's bigger than a normal Les Paul. A rectangular case that fits properly might be easier to find, but watch eBay, I've seen things for sale that I never thought I'd find.

Oddly, the Professional is a 69, the bass is a 70 & the Personal is a 71. I don't think the forum resizes pics, I post mine right out of the camera or iPhone.

dubldeuce

WOW... very nice! again, you really do have quite a collection!!

i'm guessing mine was built a year later... Volume 1377040, Treble 1377018, Bass 1377039
i don't know the shipping or production totals, or how many were made after mine, but maybe have read that not many were `71. i've just never really researched it that much. yes, i knew the case was bigger, and a friend at the local music store offered to have a rectangle custom fitted, but i have held out in hope! hahaha

dubldeuce

went ahead and took a pic today and noticed a few differences from your pic.
if anything in mine has been changed, it was before `77... nothing has been done since i've owned it.

Last edited:

dubldeuce

Grog... i don't know enough about electronics to know if mine was ever worked on. i'm just hoping to find out as much as i can about this guitar so that when i give it to my son i can pass on the info. i appreciate all your help!!

pgodman

Recently I found a 1969 Les Paul Professional, all original, in Sydney Australia and snapped it up fast. I live in Canada and had originally purchased a 1970 back in 1971, paid $500 Canadian $$ for it, but alas sold it after about 5 years. Always wanted to replace it. Someone I think in the first thread indicated that only 2 1969's were made? Can anyone authenticate that? 1969 Les Paul Professional.jpg

Grog

The Shipping Total Book shows that two were shipped in 1969, not how many were made. Mine has a pot code from 1969 & that only means that the pot was made then. The pots are usually pretty close to the guitars date, but not always.

7apJYLp.jpg

Grog

Terry Kath of Chicago played one. He got great tone out of it.