• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Toy Caldwell 335, what model?

jw71

After watching my DVD of The Marshall Tucker Band, Live in the Graden State, 1981, I was wondering if anybody knew what type of ES-335 Toy Caldwell was playing.

It is white, with block inlays, two HB's, trapeze tailpiece, pickup selector switch on the lower front cutaway bout, but it also has NO F-holes. It also has a volute on the back of the neck, and something written on the TRC, but I can't read it.

As far as the selector switch position goes, I know some 70's 335's had a coil tap switch there, but this is definitely a pickup selector switch, as there is no switch by the volume/tone knobs, like there usually was with a coil tap.

The lack of F-holes is what seems different from a regular 70's 335 to me.

Anybody know?

singlecut

i just got that dvd and and was blown away by seeing Toy burn it up .
love the sting bending behind the bridge he does.
don't know what model he's playing but he's always been a favorite of mine.
i'm a sucker for the southern rock thing.
i was just in touch with Bruce Marshall, the 2nd guitar in the Toy Caldwell band, and he sent me a great show from his days with Toy .
i love the live version of EVERYDAY I HAVE THE BLUES.

T

Troels

Wasn't there an ES 335 (or maybe 355...) Studio these days (70s)... a forerunner for "Lucille" - same concept with a door on the back of the guitar and no F-holes???

R

RedSkyDog

I grew up in the upstate of SC and hung around the Tucker band and friends in the mid to late 70s. I remember Toy playing that guitar in the 80s, but don't remember the model. Like singlecut said, he used to grab one of the strings between the bridge and the tailpiece and shake it to get his unique one-string vibrato. I don't think I had seen anyone do that before Toy.

I found this photo taken in '83 with what appears to be the same guitar. It's not a 335 Studio w/o f-holes as it wasn't introduced until '86. My guess would be a custom made 335 prototype or possibly a 347. I recall Toy receiving promotional guitars from Gibson and Electra during those days. Toy's father in Spartanburg, SC use to have that guitar and some of his others.

MTB%20Ge2.jpg

I've never met Bruce, but in this photo from his web site it shows Toy playing the same guitar in question. I feel sure he can identify the guitar.

Bruce-B.JPG

singlecut, care to share the TCB show? I have a 10-05-90 show from the Clearwater Saloon in Chicago I can trade.

Last edited:

geddins

jw71 said:
After watching my DVD of The Marshall Tucker Band, Live in the Graden State, 1981, I was wondering if anybody knew what type of ES-335 Toy Caldwell was playing.

It is white, with block inlays, two HB's, trapeze tailpiece, pickup selector switch on the lower front cutaway bout, but it also has NO F-holes. It also has a volute on the back of the neck, and something written on the TRC, but I can't read it.

As far as the selector switch position goes, I know some 70's 335's had a coil tap switch there, but this is definitely a pickup selector switch, as there is no switch by the volume/tone knobs, like there usually was with a coil tap.

The lack of F-holes is what seems different from a regular 70's 335 to me.

Anybody know?
Can you let me know how/where I could get that DVD....I love MTB and would really like to have that.

Thanks
Greg

Ok...I found it...can't believe they have it at Amazon...ordering now

Last edited:
R

RedSkyDog

geddins_81 said:
Can you let me know how/where I could get that DVD....I love MTB and would really like to have that.

Thanks
Greg

Ok...I found it...can't believe they have it at Amazon...ordering now

If you haven't ordered it yet, Overstock.com has it for under $15 including shipping!

singlecut

RedSkyDog said:
I grew up in the upstate of SC and hung around the Tucker band and friends in the mid to late 70s. I remember Toy playing that guitar in the 80s, but don't remember the model. Like singlecut said, he used to grab one of the strings between the bridge and the tailpiece and shake it to get his unique one-string vibrato. I don't think I had seen anyone do that before Toy.

I found this photo taken in '83 with what appears to be the same guitar. It's not a 335 Studio w/o f-holes as it wasn't introduced until '86. My guess would be a custom made 335 prototype or possibly a 347. I recall Toy receiving promotional guitars from Gibson and Electra during those days. Toy's father in Spartanburg, SC use to have that guitar and some of his others.

MTB%20Ge2.jpg

I've never met Bruce, but in this photo from his web site it shows Toy playing the same guitar in question. I feel sure he can identify the guitar.

Bruce-B.JPG

singlecut, care to share the TCB show? I have a 10-05-90 show from the Clearwater Saloon in Chicago I can trade.

sure thing, i'm sending you my list,so check your mail :dude

Triplet

The switch is out on the horn so it is a ES-347 not a 335.