• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Importing guitars into Canada?

jethrodebodine1

Anyone here imported any new guitars into Canada? I've been advised to buy a guitar from the USA and am wondering what duties, tariffs, and taxes I will have to pay before a guitar gets to my doorstep. I'm looking to buy a RI57, and any good/bad or ugly dealings with any forum dealers would be appreciated. I'm living in snowland Saskatchewan.

Aged 59

There is only GST on the purchase price of the guitar. No Duties due to the NAFTA agreement. Most dealers recommended by this Forum will already know to include a NAFTA Certificate with the shipment. Hope this helps.:wail

jethrodebodine1

If you read it, the first thread was for buying a guitar in Canada. Forum members are correct, the quantity of guitars available in Canada is minimal ( dealers sometimes have only one goldtop) As I was saying I am now looking in the USA and am wondering of any hidden border costs.

LPunbound

As Aged 59 says, you pay the GST plus shipping. I have purchased four LP's from the U.S. in the last couple of years, one from a forum dealer, two through ebay, and one direct from a forum brother. With the current exchange rate, Canadian dealers cannot compete with bringing a gutar in from the U.S.

MIKE20

...you pay PST,GST(15%) and some brokerage fees,if you bring a guitar in from the US on the up and up...i've done it twice...i don't know how you guys are avoiding the PST..

kats

I do it all the time. Just a tip:

Private couriers charge too much money for brokerage fees...USPS is waaaay cheaper. If they insist using UPS for eg, broker it yourself. It's nothing to do. Another tip: Insured shipments are only good for $600.00. If you really want it insured you have to specify the higher value you need.

And as stated above, you only pay GST & PST - who cares -you have to pay that here anyhow.

My advice is don't worry at all about buying in the US - your better off hands down. Now go and pull the damn trigger :)

Sebastien

In some provinces, you don't have to pay PST on imported goods. I know that Quebec and Ontario requires PST payments. Maybe Sakatchewan is one of the no PST provinces.

Don't worry about duty fees and stuff, if you order at a sale price of 2095 US$ it will cost you about 3000 cnd$ or less.

Fenderaddict

One caveat, when using USPS make sure the sender still overnights it otherwise it could take weeks. I asked one dealer to send me a guitar that way and they just dropped it off at a local post office as if it was regular mail.

:bonk

LPunbound

I avoid PST as I don't live in a province that has it. Brokerage fees only if you Courier it for mega dollars. USPS is cheap and comes right to your door, and you just pay your taxes on delivery.

samhill

I have my stuff shipped to a US address..actually a little shop that acts as a shipping depot, they charge $3. I claim the goods at the border crossing and I only pay PST and GST. The last time I went through, the Custom's guy said I should cross a few miles up in Quebec because then I won't pay PST because they only charge PST if you cross in the province that you live. I'll know next time. So for all you Montreal area guys, get your stuff shipped to Massena, NY then cross at Cornwall, Ont..drive home by the 401 and save PST and brokerage fees for just an hour drive...SWEET!

Mark

Ken Fortunato

Administrator
Staff member
I work for an aircraft firm, and I can tell you, I think it would be easier to ship hand grenades to Afghanistan, than ANYTHING to Canada... Not even half kidding... :rolleyes:

deytookerjaabs

I know, old thread and all, but muh 2 cents... I have not shipped any guitars to Canada but I did ship a piece of studio equipment I sold to a fella on ebay many moons ago. IIRC it was about an $80 drum sequencer and everything went smooth until a year later I get a collections notice for over $120 from fedex for some type of duties/taxes/something.

That was my first and last shipment to Canada.

GreenBurst

I know, old thread and all, but muh 2 cents... I have not shipped any guitars to Canada but I did ship a piece of studio equipment I sold to a fella on ebay many moons ago. IIRC it was about an $80 drum sequencer and everything went smooth until a year later I get a collections notice for over $120 from fedex for some type of duties/taxes/something.

Really? Wow. Duties and taxes are always the responsibilty of the importer, not the shipper. Hopefully you were successful in not having to pay.

deytookerjaabs

Really? Wow. Duties and taxes are always the responsibilty of the importer, not the shipper. Hopefully you were successful in not having to pay.

It was some time ago but what I think happened was the lovely phone reps at FedEx told me it's in collections, not their problem. The equally understanding folks at the collections place told me my only option was to pay up or have FedEx release it. I'm pretty sure I looked at my bank account and said "**** it."

Hotshot

I avoid PST as I don't live in a province that has it. Brokerage fees only if you Courier it for mega dollars. USPS is cheap and comes right to your door, and you just pay your taxes on delivery.

Jeebus, I lived in the Blade for 5 years and never knew there was another like me up there. Lol.

Long gone now. Cheers!

Arnold M.

I had a similar thing happen to me as a result of buying from Stewmac ... a later invoice from Fedex, over and above the shipping I had paid in full to Stewmac .. that Fedex is just full of surprises ...