• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Grounded bridge? Help needed!! (pic included)

Big Al

This thread just confirms to me how pointless forums are. So much mis information... many Vintage les Paul’s did not have the ground wire connected, there was no such thing as high gain so hum was not a consideration. The guitar in question, like many other ‘R’ series les Paul’s, is a replica of these vintage instruments in every way.

In addition, having no ground to your guitar strings will not kill you..!! What, do you think your electric guitar has 5000 volts running through it..??

Simply unbelievable that these threads are not better monitored. There must be so many confused guitarists out there.

And this post shows how ignorant, know nothing, dumb ass wannabees can dig up an old ass thread to dump kiwi bullshit in a first post.
WTF!:bigal:bigal:bigalWTF!!!

Another flippin' newbe Einstein comming in to tell us how wrong we all are. Bub, you are 100% wrong, on every point. Lying bullshiter.:##

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Actually, some Bursts were [apparently] grounded to the bridge, with a wire from the bridge pickup cavity.

1958 Burst 8-6917
8_6917-15-me.jpg

Big Al

1958 Burst 8-6917
8_6917-15-me.jpg

Good to know, Tom, thanks for posting and proving why this forum matters. This has always been our strength. Knowledge, history, fact and good advice. Lively debate and opinion and speculation presented as such.

Too many fraudsters posting opinion as fact, changing history or laws of physics, declaring outright lies as fact and then resorting to personal attacts when untruths exposed. The new reality it seems.

DANELECTRO

Thanks Tom. :) I didn't realize that's how the Bigsby Bursts were grounded.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Thanks Tom. :) I didn't realize that's how the Bigsby Bursts were grounded.

True in some cases, but the one I posted never had a Bigsby.
Neither does my late 1960 Burst, 0-7448:

0_7448-09.jpg

But my Bigsby only Burst had it as well [9-1868]:

9_1868-11.jpg

JSLP

1958 Burst 8-6917
8_6917-15-me.jpg

Replying to an older thread here, but I am working on a new to me 2014 R7 that is grounded at the bridge stud, just like Tom has posted here. There is also a hole in the control cavity for a tailpiece ground, but for some reason, whoever did the wiring chose to use the bridge ground method. Seems odd to me, but who knows...

axeman565758

Replying to an older thread here, but I am working on a new to me 2014 R7 that is grounded at the bridge stud, just like Tom has posted here. There is also a hole in the control cavity for a tailpiece ground, but for some reason, whoever did the wiring chose to use the bridge ground method. Seems odd to me, but who knows...

that's incorrect. The ground wire from the (right-side I believe) TP bushing is a solid wire and is soldered to back/bottom of the neck volume pot. A same-type wire is also soldered separately to the back of each pot from NV-NT-BT-BV to complete the ground.
I'm having trouble loading a pic of my R7 control cavity, but just Google R7 ( or 8 or 9) control cavity and look at the pic...you should see how it goes.