NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
    Les Paul Forum Member MadmanMayhem's Avatar

STOLEN GUITAR ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Hey guys long time no see.
    Need a big favor, my house was broken into tonight and 2 of my Les Pauls were stolen. Yup, I know, it's fantastic.

LOST

82 Gibson Les Paul Custom
    ALL Black hardware, EMG's, coil tap switches. Black protector case.
    EDITED: S/N 81412595

88 Gibson Les Paul Standard Showcase model
    Silverburst top. black back, all black hardware, EMG's. Showcase Edition in gold on back of headstock. Gibson Custom, Art and Historic case.

ANY INFORMATION ON FINDING THESE GUITARS IS APPRECIATED. PLEASE HELP ME GET THEM BACK!

WORCESTER MASSACHUSETTS AREA.
    Last edited by MadmanMayhem; 03-03-05 at 10:07 AM.

All Access/Backstage Pass BluesForDan's Avatar

Re: STOLEN GUITAR ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!1

do you happen to know your serial numbers?

I hope you get them back soon and safe.
    Without coffee, I'd be useless.

Les Paul Forum Member PatentAppliedFor's Avatar

Sorry to hear, I'm placing this in our Stolen Gear section

Les Paul Forum Member

Sorry to hear the bad news...I hope they were insured...I know it doesn't make up for the fact that they are gone, but it will help take the sting away if you can shop for new ones. Best of luck.

Bluesslinger

Total drag! If it makes you feel any better, my wife's car was stolen on Saturday AM, in broad daylight, in front of our freakin' house! To make matters worse, we actually live in a very nice neighborhood...which is WHY we moved here to begin with, to get away from that crap. Best of luck with finding your instruments...

BTW- from a similar experience with my house being robbed, it very well may be someone you know. Someone who knew your routine and schedule. My home was robbed @ 11-12 years ago while I was sharing a bill with Delbert McClinton. Turns out that it was a so called "friend" who knew that the house would be empty and I'd be working. They cleaned us out for all of our electronics and recorded music...stole my beloved li'l early '70s Bronco practice amp and my antique Mickey Mouse alarm clock, too! Luckily, I had my guitars with me and my Super Reverb was considered too heavy for them to haul upstairs. The pisser is that they parked the damned car IN THE DRIVEWAY and entered through the side door on the deck. Our neighbors thought nothing of it...thanks, folks! :toobad
    In any event, don't discount anyone, even if you've known them for sometime. Make sure that you've got those serial numbers someplace handy and if you can post them, do so. I'm sure that we'd all do everything possible to help you get your gear back.
    Last edited by Bluesslinger; 02-28-05 at 08:05 PM.

Les Paul Forum Member Gitfiddler's Avatar

Sorry about your loss, man. There's a special pain that's associated with the theft of something as personal as a guitar, especially personally modded Les Pauls!

Hope you had some insurance on them and that you get a fair settlement for all of your stuff.
    Gitfiddler

I was curious about insuring my gear but my insurance company wont cover me through my homeowners. How do you guys do it ? Madman- You check all the local pawn shops ?

Bluesslinger

Quote Originally Posted by stonertone
    I was curious about insuring my gear but my insurance company wont cover me through my homeowners. How do you guys do it ? Madman- You check all the local pawn shops ?
    Stoner-
    Those that can afford it get musicians insurance to cover their gear. There are a few companies that offer it exclusively, but it ain't exactly cheap. There's a joint that advertises in Vintage Guitar that offers insurance for dealers and manufacturers, they may also have a program for the player. Try http://www.musicins.com. Best bet is to "google" and find the few who do offer. I can't believe that your homeowner's policy won't cover your gear! Sometimes they'll include it in a renters policy or similar deal. Hell, even my auto insurer offers to cover my gear! Sounds like it may be time to do some shopping for a new carrier.
    Last edited by Bluesslinger; 02-28-05 at 10:59 PM.

Les Paul Forum Member Gitfiddler's Avatar

Unless there is a specific exclusion for 'property used at any time in any business', you should be able to claim your instruments as personal property. If you don't use your guitars in any business pursuit, there should be coverage with that type of policy language. Check again. You might be covered for your long lost babies plus your other personal property up to the limits of liability/policy limits stated in the Contents coverage 'C' of your Homeowner (HO3), Condo/Townhouse (HO6), or Renters (HO4) policy contract.

If you do gig with your stuff, then are you truly conducting a 'business'? If you claim your earnings on your income tax, you probably are a 'business'.

Lots of caveats, but hey, it's a legal contract, right?

Also, do a search on 'insurance'. Lots of good information is available in previous posts.

Good luck!
    Gitfiddler

Les Paul Froum Member

Damn that sucks and hurts like a bitch !

Gitfiddler - is correct . I was going to list all my gear on a " Rider ".
    My agent is a personal friend and after telling him the amount I'd need,he told me that it would all be covered under the existing policy if
    I claim them as personal and don't gig with them . ;) :ahem

Les Paul Forum Member MadmanMayhem's Avatar

Hey guys, thanks to all for the assist and sympathy. No, dummy me didn't have insurance on them. :toobad That was stupid...

All I need is a favor, any forum members that live in the New England area, or any of the dealers, PLEASE keep your eyes peeled for them. I got plenty of evidence to ID them as mine if they turn up.

Thanks so much again.

Les Paul Forum Member burstsaplenty's Avatar

Madman, im in the boston area and i am always at music stores every weekend if they pop up i will let you know asap.

BP

Les Paul Forum Member

burstsaplenty, he posted elsewhere (baywatch, I think) that he found them on ebay, of all places. The geniuses were kind enough to put the serial numbers in the auctions. He got them all back, IIRC. It's cool to see one of these have a happy ending.
    You can't really dust for vomit.

Make sure you do a police report and give them the serial numbers. Most pawnshops nowadays are required to report stuff pawned and this report is crossreferenced with the police.

My son lives in Ft. Lauderdale and he and his roomate got their house cleaned out while at work a couple of months ago. Yesterday, they police reported they found ALL the stuff at a pawnshop and they will be able to recover. The kids that did it, pawned the stuff the same day.

Watch eBay too.

Oh .... he found them on eBay ... nevermind. Good for him!

Les Paul Forum Member burstsaplenty's Avatar

Thats great news, glad to hear it...Thanks for the update.

BP

That is truly an awesome story...Its unfortunate that so many people get scammed on ebay but its nice to know that some people get caught too. Great News!!

Les Paul Forum Member timinator's Avatar

They should let you whip them in public with a Gibson leather strap!!!!! Congrats on getting your babys back. Any damage?
    "When God tells you to get a Les Paul you better get a Les Paul...."

Stoner: There is an insurance company call Zurich that insures musical gear. They have an addendum to the policy that covers your gear no matter where it is. In your car....in a club....recording studio. It has some name like Maritime Transit Insurance. I don't think that's really the name but it's something like that. I had problems when my gear was ripped out of my car along with a 71 cherry sunburst deluxe. Both Zurich and my homeowner’s insurance companies were trying to jack me around so I hired an independent insurance negotiator and he got me a 20G settlement. Half through my homeowner’s and half through Zurich. The game they play is to get you to answer certain very sensitive questions with the wrong answer so they can refuse the claim. If you get a good policy and ever get ripped off and your insurance company starts this BS….say nothing. Abort the call and seek out an independent negotiator. It's war out there!!!!

Les Paul Forum Member MarshallSlash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stumbler View Post
    Make sure you do a police report and give them the serial numbers. Most pawnshops nowadays are required to report stuff pawned and this report is crossreferenced with the police.

My son lives in Ft. Lauderdale and he and his roomate got their house cleaned out while at work a couple of months ago. Yesterday, they police reported they found ALL the stuff at a pawnshop and they will be able to recover. The kids that did it, pawned the stuff the same day.

Watch eBay too.
    wow, that's crazy, I'm glad they found their stuff.

I have a "rider" on my insurance policy that covers my Les Paul. All the insurance company need was an appraisal. It costs about $100.00 a year.