Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wiring Library

Les Paul Forum Member GlassSnuff's Avatar

Re: Wiring Library

Quote Originally Posted by R4R7Custom View Post
    What would be the benefit of lowering the resistance of the circuit? Would there really be a noticeable difference in output level?
    It shouldn't cause a big difference in output level, the concern is dialing in too much resistance "inline" on the way to the amp which will cause your cord's capacitance to have a greater effect. That is, what matters is the part of the pot's element between the input to the pot and where the wiper is. Obviously this will be half as much with a 250K pot.

But Ash is right in mentioning ungrounding the pots. I suggested this to him when he was trying to use one of these balance controls as a pickup selector. It's better to have only one pot act as a voltage divider and the others work as rheostats. Each voltage divider loads the pickup, and too great a load suppresses the pup's resonance. Used as a rheostat, the value of the pot won't matter, except a larger value will give you more "off".

Hopes this helps, I'm running off to work and just blabbering as I finish my coffee.

Les Paul Forum Member R4R7Custom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ashbass View Post
    Yes. I have several from some mid 80s Ibanez guitars. I don't use them for stuff like this because it is difficult to tell which mode they are in sometimes. Used as a pickup dead switch it is pretty obvious which mode it is in, but with the difference between caps, I can sometimes get lost with which one I have going at what time. With the push-pull, seeing the knob up in the air or down on the guitar is a good reminder.
    Ashbass,
    note the attached pic. This PUSH/PUSH pot will pop up when pushed, so it will stick up above the other pots, just like the PUSH/PULL pots. I think the switches you mention are a whole 'nother thing.

Quote Originally Posted by GlassSnuff View Post
    It shouldn't cause a big difference in output level, the concern is dialing in too much resistance "inline" on the way to the amp which will cause your cord's capacitance to have a greater effect. That is, what matters is the part of the pot's element between the input to the pot and where the wiper is. Obviously this will be half as much with a 250K pot.

But Ash is right in mentioning ungrounding the pots. ... Used as a rheostat, the value of the pot won't matter, except a larger value will give you more "off".

Hopes this helps, I'm running off to work and just blabbering as I finish my coffee.
    I lifted the grounds on the pup vol pots. Then I lifted the ground on the Master Vol pot. Of course, with no ground, nothing gets turned OFF completely. It's true there is a difference w/no grounds. The biggest being when the Master Vol was ungrounded. But re-grounding that and leaving the pup pots open yields a very, very small difference in output & tone, mostly in 3.5k and up - not really the nicest portion of the P90s in my R4.

I do like the fact that the pups don't turn off completely. I can now get some interesting combinations by leaving the selector in the middle position and playing w/the pup vols and Blend/Balance-type tone control. So I'll leave it like this 'til my next gig on Tuesday and see how it goes.

I put up an instrumental I did w/the pup vols ungrounded. It's called "Blues #1 in A". Use the myspace link if you'd like to listen.

Thanks for the tips!!

Re: Wiring Library:Ungrounded Vol Pots Audition

Tonefellows ( ),
    A couple of hours ago I returned from a 3-set gig w/the James Green Blues Band. I can now say definitively that the ungrounded vol pot, master volume w/blend-type individual pup tone controls circuit has passed the audition, on my 2006 R4.

For my style and ear there was no appreciable difference in tone w/ungrounded pup vol pots: I was interested in how easy it would be for this circuit for to deliver varied, usable settings. For me, it was premium.

Controlling the volume and tone was totally intuitive and comfortable. Using the Middle postition I was able to utilize both tone caps for either pup as well as a blend of both pups. This was made quick and easy by the fact that the ungrounded vol pots never turn completely "off" when full counter-clockwise. What they do is reduce the input from the pup they control to an amount that comprises maybe 15% of the total signal. So the pup corresponding to the FCCW control is not coloring the tone, rather allowing the other pup that's FCW to use the tone cap that's connected to the FCCW pup.

Like I said, it was very intuitive in actual use...

The Wiring Scheme is above in post #103. Just lift the grounding lugs on the Pup Vol Pots.

Another idea that occured to me was to experiment w/lower impedance resistors from that lug to ground to "pre-set" the minimum volume level for a specific pup. Starting w/say, 68kΩ. It would be interesting to see how that effects the circuit.

hat tip-very BIG HAT TIP - to mofinco for sharing the ungrounded vol pot/master volume concept with us.

Is there a way to install a DPDT miniswitch (either on a pot, or stand alone) without drilling the wood of my 95LP standard. I vaguely remember the phrase "under the pickguard", but cannot make much sense of it.

Your feedback will be very appreciated.

Best,

B
    I was wondering about that one too, but I don't believe it's been answered yet...

Sorry, my mistake. What I'm actually looking for is a DP3T (three-way) switch that can be installed without any drilling (e.g. on a pot). Do these exist at all, and if so, where could you get them?

Quote Originally Posted by tpv View Post
    Sorry, my mistake. What I'm actually looking for is a DP3T (three-way) switch that can be installed without any drilling (e.g. on a pot). Do these exist at all, and if so, where could you get them?
    What would you like to do? Maybe we can help. You looking for a 'center off' switch?

Actually, I was planning to have a switch that can alter the setting of my bridge humbucker, namely series/split/parallel which would require a 3-way switch.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought. 4 won't be possible, because the 3 pots I have are already push/pull (I'm quite a switch freak). I didn't really like option 1 that much, but I might not have another choice...
    Last edited by tpv; 11-19-06 at 02:08 PM.

Choices:
    1. drill a hole for a toggle switch
    2. put a toggle switch in place of one of your pots.
    3. have a push-pull pot switch do the parallel/series and the pot part do a spin/split coil tap.
    4. use two push-pull pots, one for parallel/series, the other for coil tap
    (tongue firmly in cheek) I'm sure Ash meant PUSH/PUSH pots...

Yeah, I agree: this thread needs to be a sticky. I've got to keep posting to it so I can find it in the list.....

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by R4R7Custom View Post
    (tongue firmly in cheek) I'm sure Ash meant PUSH/PUSH pots...

Yeah, I agree: this thread needs to be a sticky. I've got to keep posting to it so I can find it in the list.....
    +1 this thread = sticky. ( Can it be voted to become a sticky or is there any other way ? )

Does anyone know a reliable source for push-push pots, or any source at all, especially with long shafts ?
    (My memory is starting to fade in general, but I think that I read ~'98 in Guitarist (UK) that Yamaha -SG700 review- has them copyrighted/patented/whatever and that's why they're never on other makers' instruments. )

Hi Guys, Longtime Forum Reader First-time Poster....

I was wondering if anyone has a schematic/wiring diagram for a '57 Les Paul Junior. I can't seem to find any LP Jr. wiring diagrams on the net, and I'm just looking to get this right. Especially Pot Value, and Capacitor Value.

Thanks for any help you can give....

All Access/Backstage Pass NHMorgan's Avatar

tried the independant volume 50s wiring yeterday. Very true about it working almost like a tone pot with the volume down. I added a treble bleed to the neck controls and .015 caps for both tone controls, and it is better, but even the treble bleed doesnt seem to work as well as it does in regular wiring. I do like the sounds this way though.

From another thread, rastaman asked for 50's style wiring diagram for 1 volume + 1 tone + 2 Humbuckers. Here 'tis:

Gibson Explorer
    -----------------------------------------------
    2 volume
    1 tone

Im not sure if its EMG or not. Probably so. I tried to find a '50s Explorer diagram, but thats the best I could do. I haven't hooked my guitar up yet, but I was hoping it would be okay to just omit the battery. This thread needs a '50s Explorer/V diagram.

Re: Wiring Library - Jimmy Page version

I have a different take on the Jimmy Page mod, (using push/pulls to get phasing, series/parallel and single coil options). It tackles a few problems that IMO are inherent in the original design.

I developed it on GuitarNuts 2, heres a link to the thread, with schematics and wiring diagrams, plus review and discussion from wiring gurus there:

http://guitarnuts2.proboards45.com/i...9255966&page=1

I worked out the wiring layouts for a builder who wished to move the standard placement of V and T controls. If anyone is interested, Ill also do a diagram with standard placement.

John

someone knows how to do the slash wiring with piezo?

tnx

I'm looking for something (sort of) similar to the Pagey mod. My two tone pots are push/pull for series/parallel on their respective p'ups. I would also like to add a universal coil cut and a phase switch in the other two positions (volume controls). Any ideas? Thanks.

Les Paul Forum Member antosimoni's Avatar

hi,
    I've 2 push/pull pots that I want to put for the tones of my LP and pullin' 'em gives me single coil (coil split) of the pickup... can anyone please give me a layout of this?? I dont know how to do it (I've also to re-wire with a 4 conductor the stock cable of my burstbuckers...)
    I'm also waiting for an anderson pickup I havent seen it but I've read that they're different than gibson, anyone has some info?
    thanks a lot for any help/suggestion

Hello,
    in the most 50th wiring diagrams I see at the forum, there is no ground conection between the two tone pots. With an alligator clip I have checked the diffenrence between both options and found out, that I prefer the sound with this grounding wire soldered in.
    When the volume is turned down, the neck pickup is sounding more piano like on the lower strings and the bridge pickup seems to have a more powerful sound.
    Can you verify this, or do I hear the "growing of the grass"?

Les Paul Forum Member

Does anyone know where I can find pics, diagrams for ES-5 pre-switchmaster wiring? That would be 3 volumes, one master tone, 3 P-90s. I'd like to try swapping pots and jack on Peerless Wizard, but have never tried anything like this before. BTW: Great thread!!

Les Paul Forum Member maidenstrat's Avatar
    From Glasgow Living in the Desert in Dubai for now

Choices:
    1. drill a hole for a toggle switch
    2. put a toggle switch in place of one of your pots.
    3. have a push-pull pot switch do the parallel/series and the pot part do a spin/split coil tap.
    4. use two push-pull pots, one for parallel/series, the other for coil tap
    Any chance you could make me the diagram for this for option 4 with the push pulls in the tone positions. if its not pushing it to much, could i have the coil tap on the neck tone and obviously yhe parallel/series on the bridge tone.
    Bhoy

Wiring request- Tone control as bass cut.

I used to have this mod done on a LP but was too lazy to find the right cap value. I returned it to stock. Now I want to revisit this mod. Can anyone explain it? a diagram, however crude could help too. Any ideas for a cap value?

Thanks everyone.
    57 preHistoric Goldtop (1987)
    58 Historic Lemonburst Plaintop (2014)
    59 Historic Faded Tea Honeyburst Lightly Aged (2013)
    60 Historic Washed Cherry Sunburst (2008)
    Custom Shop Bantam Plus prototype Florentine (1996)

and some others......

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Zep-H...3427055?ref=hl
    http://www.myspace.com/limeshack

But the dude has tats. In Austin that will get you a 4pm gig at Emo's any Sunday of the year..... -Pat Boyack

Quote Originally Posted by NHMorgan View Post
    what does it mean independent volume controls?
    In simple terms, you have a series resistor, (aka rheostat ) limiting the current out of each pickup, instead of a potentiometer voltage divider. In non-audio-amplified applications, the series resistor woulnd't even need the ground on the pot. Think of any car you've owned between 1950 and 1990 or so. A series resistor ( often wire-wound on a ceramic form ) on the back of the old-style headlight switch limited the current to the dash lights, and therefore controlled the brightness. This type of wiring for volume controls has worked on a few million jazz basses. The thunderbirds used this too, with the minor exception of the 1976 bicentennial model that had them in series to boot. Makes a four-coil double humbucker!

Thanks for the great pix! I'll be right-clicking them away right now

JC
    Jim Cox
    coxster@yahoo.com
    '65 Firebird
    '76 Bicentennial Firebird
    '08 Studio Robot
    '14 Futura LP
    '15 Classic Burst
    '15 Standard Burst
    (That's it for the Gibsons)

Les Paul Forum Member bluesjuke's Avatar

I did the 50's wiring to my R6 last night and the change was more noticeable than I even expected.
    Only changed the cap position on the volume pot and left the tone pot as is on both neck and bridge.

Retains highs very well and the two tone controls balance each other out really well.
    Thanks guys!
    Last edited by bluesjuke; 04-30-11 at 06:05 PM. Reason: typos
    "Brings me the most special feeling I most ever had"

neon333

Oh goodness I've tried. Tried to read all 4 pages of this thread and I'm all tuckered out. Here is my problem: New LP style guitar with SD Seth Lovers. Zero blend in the middle position! If I back either vol. pot back to 9 it's almost like a volume switch. Ex. Guitar set on middle, switch vol and tone set to 10 on both pu's and I want to roll the neck PU vol to 8. All the sound and tone seems to go to the front pup. It's as if I have no taper on the volume knobs in the middle postion. Can anyone help out here?
    Last edited by neon333; 04-21-09 at 11:26 PM.

Les Paul Forum Member Flying Fish's Avatar

Hi, I found this interesting and relevant
    50s vs Modern wiring comparison:

http://guitarnuts2.proboards.com/ind...ay&thread=1885

my volumes usually are usually between 5 and 8 or so, and tones controls all over.
    I like 50s wiring, and actually use the tone controls to back off the volume too sometimes

This is a cool thread.
    I just deleted a bunch of posts that were only requests for the thread to be made sticky & various bumps & kudos. I think it trims the fat a little so there's not four pages to wade through to get to the info one might need.
    the faster we go the rounder we get

Neil Young 'Old Black' wiring

I'd like to try and wire my Neil Young rep straight to jack.
    Heard Larry Cragg has done Neil's this way.

Mine is already fitted with a mini toggle switch which I believe is set up as a Phase switch.

Can anyone shed any light please. Drawing would be very helpful

Many thanks

Paul

Les Paul Forum Member pablomago's Avatar

This is a great thread. The photos of the control cavities help a lot! I'd like to see some photos of how the toggle switch is wired in a typical two pick up two volume two tone LP. I'm converting a friend's Studio (something or another) from two volume one tone to pretty much modern standard wiring. Is the middle lug of the three way switch the output or the ground?
    Save the '68 Gold Tops!

Some of the 50's diagrams show a ground running from one tone control to the other. Some of the 50's diagrams do not have a ground wire between the tone controls.

How does having or not having a ground wire connecting the tone pots to each other affect the sound?

Les Paul Forum Member

I'd like to resurrect this thread with a question about '50s wiring and ES-335s.

Can anyone explain how original '63 and '64 335's were wired. Was it '50s-style or something else?

Same question for the current Historic '63 reissue 335s.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 81 Standard View Post
    I'm looking for something (sort of) similar to the Pagey mod. My two tone pots are push/pull for series/parallel on their respective p'ups. I would also like to add a universal coil cut and a phase switch in the other two positions (volume controls). Any ideas? Thanks.
    I just did this mod... It's the "Peter Green" reverse phase on the neck volume push/pull pot, combined with a master coil-split on the bridge volume push/pull pot. So the bridge volume will split the coils of both pickups at once, and the neck volume will switch between in phase and out of phase (to get out of phase sound pickup selector must be in middle position with both pickups selected).

Right now this is my favorite wiring set up on my 08 Classic Antique. Keep in mind I installed higher output Gibson 500t + 496R pickups before doing this mod (they conveniently came with 4 wire leads).

Here is the diagram... Good luck!

Obviously they're all a gang of idiots. But, you know, live and let live... - David Gilmour

I should also mention I replaced the stock caps with brighter .015 "orange drops" and it made a big difference. These caps have become my favorites for LP's...
    Obviously they're all a gang of idiots. But, you know, live and let live... - David Gilmour

Here is a detail of the gibson 50s wiring:

The tone pot changes have been discussed as not necessary unless you want the full vintage vibe. It can't hurt, anyway.

The key to this is the moving of the tone pot connection from the pickup to the switch. The typical quote of "just move the cap wire from the outside lug to the inside lug" is not accurate. The truth of this of this mod is moving the cap wire from the pickup wire to the switch wire. This is an important distinction as some users have their pickup and switch wires reversed so as to attain independent volume controls (turning one pup to zero when in middle pos only kills that pup instead of killing both).

Now get this...
    We feed the rats to the cats,
    and the cats to the rats,
    and get the cat skins for nothing.

Here are some vintage wiring cavities.

R7

Now get this...
    We feed the rats to the cats,
    and the cats to the rats,
    and get the cat skins for nothing.