• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Wiring Library

ashbass

BluesForDan

BluesForDan_w50.jpg

ashbass

Here are some small MP3s that demonstrate the difference between Parallel and Series wiring. You will first hear the neck and bridge pickups in parallel, then the neck and bridge pickups in series. No settings were changed for each part of the recordings except to switch from parallel to series coupling of the pickups. More info here...

Les Paul middle position

Strat neck and middle position

Les Paul (2-pickup) Style Guitar
Series/Parallel Wiring

wiringSeriesParallel.jpg

Ultimate Strat (3-pickup) Style Guitar
Series/Parallel Wiring

Tunetaylor

Modern w/independent volume bandwidth??

I've heard you lose "bandwidth" by wiring that way.

Anybody else have an opinion?

I recently installed a balanced 500k pot kit & .022 Hovland Musicaps in my 1997 Custom (490R/498T).
The wiring was and still is "modern" style.
I wanted to try the independent volume controls.... So I made the change...
I also had 102J Orange Drop tone bleed circuits installed on each volume pot (no resistor).

Result:
I truly love the independent volume controls, but I definitely lost some "Tone" or "bandwidth" as stated above. It lost "SOME"warmth and "les Paul" tone that I loved. (Even @ full volume)

I would love to have the best of both worlds!! Modern Wiring - Ind. Vol / No Tone Loss
Hoping that someone can offer some advice/recommendation/experience???
or I will have to change back to dependant volumes...?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

TuneTaylor

Sproutguitars

LOL, DIMMIT ASH, ya stole my post, :spin I was nearly done with my drawings and WHAMMO... here you go. :salude

NOW WHAT HECK IS A FELLER SUPPOSED TO DO UNTIL THOSE SPRAGUES GET HERE, HUH? ;) It's winter time in the midwest and there ain't a lot to do :2lol

Nice Job, they look real good!
Hello, look's like you know your stuff. I'm not very knowledgeable on wiring pickups. I need help with wiring a set of Gibson Classic 57 ( with single shielded wires) to 1 volume, 1 tone and 3 way switch. I got the wires connected to the switch fine. I grounded everything to the back of the volume pot and ran 1 ground under the Bigsby tremolo, because I could not pull out the bridge post without damaging the body. I get sound, but very low ( more then normal), the tone doesn't seem to make any difference when I turn the knob.

Ringwood

Anyone know if the 2012 Traditional pro come with 50's or 6o's wiring?
Does the coil splitting affect this too?

Thanks

MelvinMosley

Hey guys, no matter the topic, this is the best forum I have ever discovered online. It's impressive how much information there is and how open people are to sharing. The cherry on top is that it is my favorite guitar and I also used hdo box. Even while I'm an old fart sufficient to have purchased a 59 Elton for $125-$250 if I had some judgment), I have been generally hanging out for the past 2-3 years and have never been disappointed. I want to commend everyone who participates in this activity.