• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Wiring Library

ashbass

Wiring Diagram Library

[I can only add 10 images per post so look to the end of the thread as others get added time allowing.]

Here are some images I fixed up to show the various wirings that I've noodled around with. Thanks to the various Les Paul forums for all the info I've pulled from the past posts and to Black Rose Customs for including a diagram of their kit wiring on their website.

wiringModern.jpg

wiringModernInd.jpg

wiring50s.jpg

wiring50sInd.jpg

wiringBlackRose.jpg

Here is a way to get a master volume control without having to mess around with removing or running any wires in your guitar. It's pretty simple and can be reversed easily. With the master tone option, you can use the 50s wiring if you want. With two tone controls though, 50s wiring isn't an option because the tone controls have to come before the switch and volume control. Your pots will need to be grounded, of course.

wiringMVolMTone.jpg

wiringMVol2Tone.jpg

Here is a wiring that gives you Master Volume and Master Tone after your regular individual pickup volume controls. You can modify this to include 50s style wiring on the master volume and tone controls. You can also modify it for independent separate volume controls ala the diagrams above in this thread. NOTE that users have reported that best results are attained by ungrounding the main volume pots. This idea is not detailed in the images below.

wiringMVolMToneSepVols.jpg

Here is stock wiring with only one Tone control. This is essentially 50s style wiring because the cap is connected to the switch instead of the pickups. To complete the 50s style you would switch the Tone control's ground and cap wires.

The capacitor can be attached to the jack along with the switch wire for easy setup.

wiring2VolMTone.jpg

50s style wiring diagram
Modern style wiring diagram
Standard style wiring diagram
50s wiring diagram
Modern wiring diagram
Standard wiring diagram
Les Paul wiring diagram
Stock wiring diagram
Series Parallel dual pickup
Armstrong super strat

Last edited:

GuitarDean

LOL, DIMMIT ASH, ya stole my post, :spin I was nearly done with my drawings and WHAMMO... here you go. :salude

NOW WHAT HECK IS A FELLER SUPPOSED TO DO UNTIL THOSE SPRAGUES GET HERE, HUH? ;) It's winter time in the midwest and there ain't a lot to do :2lol

Nice Job, they look real good!

Last edited:

Calambres

Aren't the modern wiring and the Black Rose nothing but the same thing?... functionally the same IMO

Calambres

ashbass said:
Modern and Black Rose function differently. Try it out and see.

I do not see how. The tone circuits are the same in both, that is, a capacitor and a resistor in series to ground. It's *functionally* the same to have "cap-res-gnd" (standard) than "res-cap-gnd" (Black Rose).

bvmjethead

ashbass said:
Modern and Black Rose function differently. Try it out and see.

Independent volumes means that when you're in the middle position with both pickups on, turning the volume all the way down on one won't turn off the volume on the other pickup as well.

I've heard you lose "bandwidth" by wiring that way.

Anybody else have an opinion?

dtw576

Great resource. I saved them into powerpoint and even gave you credit on the cover page. Hey, it's the right thing to do, seeing as how I didn't do squat. :ahem Thanks for all the effort there. :salude

brobillard

Hey Ashbass, great work, man!! That's a really good idea. If you find some time, how about the Jimmy Page mods, you know... the 4 push/pull pots and the 1 push/pull pot with 4 wires pups? :dude

;)

exhaust_49

What advantages do you get with 50's wiring with independent volumes compared to regular 50's wiring? I remember somthing about retaining the highs with one of these schamitics. I need enlightment.

Last edited:

exhaust_49

Just so I understand this right, you do the high bypass mod to both vol pots right?
:salude

Lee_Moore

One last question...what is the second wire connection between the Vol and Tone Pots with the Black Rose Wiring diagram? I see how the capacitor is connected, I just don't see what the other wire is supposed to be.

Thanks in advance.

brianf

Fantastic Artwork!!!

ashBass: On the 50's wiring, you have to attach (ground) all the pots together with wire, correct?

Thanks

brianf

Lee_Moore

Lee_Moore said:
One last question...what is the second wire connection between the Vol and Tone Pots with the Black Rose Wiring diagram? I see how the capacitor is connected, I just don't see what the other wire is supposed to be.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry to "quote" myself, but I was curious to know if anyone had the answer to this question. Thanks in advance.

Lee Moore

Lee_Moore

ashbass said:
The cap is connected to ground from the tone pot. The second connection you mention is how the guitar signal gets to the tone pot. Think of it as the tone pot's input wire.

Understood. Is it just a "plain wire" that is soldered to both points? That is what I was curious about.

mhearne

You know, this is the best forum I have ever found on the web, regardless of subject. The amount of knowledge and willingness to share is great to see. The fact that it is about my favorite gitar is icing on the cake. I have been mostly hanging out for the past 2-3 years and have never been disappointed and have learned a great deal, even though I am an old fart (old enough to have picked up a 59 lester for $100-$200 if I had had any sense). My comendations to everone who takes part in this

Skip

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
Let's not go sucking each other's **cks yet.

Better to hear Harvey Keitel say it:
http://members.cox.net/wilko2/lespaul/letsNotGo.wav

Those drawings are all missing the ground loop. Without a ground loop, most of those circuits won't bleed treble to ground and the tone circuits won't work. The Black rose will because the tone circuit returns to the volume pot chassis for ground. Gibson bridge grounds their Les Paul circuits.

Bare wire connects the chassis of all pots and goes to the bridge or TP stud.

GuitarDean

Ash, are you going to add the ground wires to the diagrams, as in the 50's wiring, so that remains true and accurate?

levonhelmet

hi,this is some great information.thank-you all. just one question...... what exactly is the benefit of the 50's wiring mod? and if its so great why arent they still wiring les pauls like this nowadays?
thanks

sliding-tom

hey ashbass, while you're at it, how about a wiring that keeps the vol controls for both pups and then a master vol and master tone? I have one guitar with a setup like this and find it very useful. If I knew how it's been wired, I'd post it but since I don't?