• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Wiring Library

GlassSnuff

What would be the benefit of lowering the resistance of the circuit? Would there really be a noticeable difference in output level?
It shouldn't cause a big difference in output level, the concern is dialing in too much resistance "inline" on the way to the amp which will cause your cord's capacitance to have a greater effect. That is, what matters is the part of the pot's element between the input to the pot and where the wiper is. Obviously this will be half as much with a 250K pot.

But Ash is right in mentioning ungrounding the pots. I suggested this to him when he was trying to use one of these balance controls as a pickup selector. It's better to have only one pot act as a voltage divider and the others work as rheostats. Each voltage divider loads the pickup, and too great a load suppresses the pup's resonance. Used as a rheostat, the value of the pot won't matter, except a larger value will give you more "off".

Hopes this helps, I'm running off to work and just blabbering as I finish my coffee. :)

R4R7Custom

Yes. I have several from some mid 80s Ibanez guitars. I don't use them for stuff like this because it is difficult to tell which mode they are in sometimes. Used as a pickup dead switch it is pretty obvious which mode it is in, but with the difference between caps, I can sometimes get lost with which one I have going at what time. With the push-pull, seeing the knob up in the air or down on the guitar is a good reminder.

Ashbass,
note the attached pic. This PUSH/PUSH pot will pop up when pushed, so it will stick up above the other pots, just like the PUSH/PULL pots. I think the switches you mention are a whole 'nother thing.

EP_0296-000.jpg

R4R7Custom

It shouldn't cause a big difference in output level, the concern is dialing in too much resistance "inline" on the way to the amp which will cause your cord's capacitance to have a greater effect. That is, what matters is the part of the pot's element between the input to the pot and where the wiper is. Obviously this will be half as much with a 250K pot.

But Ash is right in mentioning ungrounding the pots. ... Used as a rheostat, the value of the pot won't matter, except a larger value will give you more "off".

Hopes this helps, I'm running off to work and just blabbering as I finish my coffee. :)

I lifted the grounds on the pup vol pots. Then I lifted the ground on the Master Vol pot. Of course, with no ground, nothing gets turned OFF completely. It's true there is a difference w/no grounds. The biggest being when the Master Vol was ungrounded. But re-grounding that and leaving the pup pots open yields a very, very small difference in output & tone, mostly in 3.5k and up - not really the nicest portion of the P90s in my R4.

I do like the fact that the pups don't turn off completely. I can now get some interesting combinations by leaving the selector in the middle position and playing w/the pup vols and Blend/Balance-type tone control. So I'll leave it like this 'til my next gig on Tuesday and see how it goes.

I put up an instrumental I did w/the pup vols ungrounded. It's called "Blues #1 in A". Use the myspace link if you'd like to listen.

Thanks for the tips!!:salude :salude :salude

R4R7Custom

Re: Wiring Library:Ungrounded Vol Pots Audition

Tonefellows :)2cool ),
A couple of hours ago I returned from a 3-set gig w/the James Green Blues Band. I can now say definitively that the ungrounded vol pot, master volume w/blend-type individual pup tone controls circuit has passed the audition, on my 2006 R4. :salude :salude:wail

For my style and ear there was no appreciable difference in tone w/ungrounded pup vol pots: I was interested in how easy it would be for this circuit for to deliver varied, usable settings. For me, it was premium.

Controlling the volume and tone was totally intuitive and comfortable. Using the Middle postition I was able to utilize both tone caps for either pup as well as a blend of both pups. This was made quick and easy by the fact that the ungrounded vol pots never turn completely "off" when full counter-clockwise. What they do is reduce the input from the pup they control to an amount that comprises maybe 15% of the total signal. So the pup corresponding to the FCCW control is not coloring the tone, rather allowing the other pup that's FCW to use the tone cap that's connected to the FCCW pup. :hmm

Like I said, it was very intuitive in actual use...

The Wiring Scheme is above in post #103. Just lift the grounding lugs on the Pup Vol Pots.

Another idea that occured to me was to experiment w/lower impedance resistors from that lug to ground to "pre-set" the minimum volume level for a specific pup. Starting w/say, 68kΩ. It would be interesting to see how that effects the circuit.

hat tip-very BIG HAT TIP - to mofinco for sharing the ungrounded vol pot/master volume concept with us.:dude: :dude: :dude:

tpv

Is there a way to install a DPDT miniswitch (either on a pot, or stand alone) without drilling the wood of my 95LP standard. I vaguely remember the phrase "under the pickguard", but cannot make much sense of it.

Your feedback will be very appreciated.

Best,

B

I was wondering about that one too, but I don't believe it's been answered yet...

tpv

Sorry, my mistake. What I'm actually looking for is a DP3T (three-way) switch that can be installed without any drilling (e.g. on a pot). Do these exist at all, and if so, where could you get them?

R4R7Custom

Sorry, my mistake. What I'm actually looking for is a DP3T (three-way) switch that can be installed without any drilling (e.g. on a pot). Do these exist at all, and if so, where could you get them?

What would you like to do? Maybe we can help. You looking for a 'center off' switch?

tpv

Actually, I was planning to have a switch that can alter the setting of my bridge humbucker, namely series/split/parallel which would require a 3-way switch.

tpv

Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought. 4 won't be possible, because the 3 pots I have are already push/pull (I'm quite a switch freak:)). I didn't really like option 1 that much, but I might not have another choice...

Last edited:

R4R7Custom

Choices:
  1. drill a hole for a toggle switch
  2. put a toggle switch in place of one of your pots.
  3. have a push-pull pot switch do the parallel/series and the pot part do a spin/split coil tap.
  4. use two push-pull pots, one for parallel/series, the other for coil tap

(tongue firmly in cheek) I'm sure Ash meant PUSH/PUSH pots...:dude:

Yeah, I agree: this thread needs to be a sticky. I've got to keep posting to it so I can find it in the list..... :salude

korus

(tongue firmly in cheek) I'm sure Ash meant PUSH/PUSH pots...:dude:

Yeah, I agree: this thread needs to be a sticky. I've got to keep posting to it so I can find it in the list..... :salude

+1 this thread = sticky. ( Can it be voted to become a sticky or is there any other way ? )

Does anyone know a reliable source for push-push pots, or any source at all, especially with long shafts ?
(My memory is starting to fade in general, but I think that I read ~'98 in Guitarist (UK) that Yamaha -SG700 review- has them copyrighted/patented/whatever and that's why they're never on other makers' instruments. )

Dingus

Hi Guys, Longtime Forum Reader First-time Poster....

I was wondering if anyone has a schematic/wiring diagram for a '57 Les Paul Junior. I can't seem to find any LP Jr. wiring diagrams on the net, and I'm just looking to get this right. Especially Pot Value, and Capacitor Value.

Thanks for any help you can give....

NHMorgan

All Access/Backstage Pass
tried the independant volume 50s wiring yeterday. Very true about it working almost like a tone pot with the volume down. I added a treble bleed to the neck controls and .015 caps for both tone controls, and it is better, but even the treble bleed doesnt seem to work as well as it does in regular wiring. I do like the sounds this way though.

DANELECTRO

From another thread, rastaman asked for 50's style wiring diagram for 1 volume + 1 tone + 2 Humbuckers. Here 'tis:

50sWiring2Control.jpg

shuie

Gibson Explorer
-----------------------------------------------
2 volume
1 tone

WBGen7.gif

shuie

Im not sure if its EMG or not. Probably so. I tried to find a '50s Explorer diagram, but thats the best I could do. I haven't hooked my guitar up yet, but I was hoping it would be okay to just omit the battery. This thread needs a '50s Explorer/V diagram.

JohnH

Re: Wiring Library - Jimmy Page version

I have a different take on the Jimmy Page mod, (using push/pulls to get phasing, series/parallel and single coil options). It tackles a few problems that IMO are inherent in the original design.

I developed it on GuitarNuts 2, heres a link to the thread, with schematics and wiring diagrams, plus review and discussion from wiring gurus there:

http://guitarnuts2.proboards45.com/index.cgi?board=schem&action=display&thread=1169255966&page=1

I worked out the wiring layouts for a builder who wished to move the standard placement of V and T controls. If anyone is interested, Ill also do a diagram with standard placement.

John

81 Standard

I'm looking for something (sort of) similar to the Pagey mod. My two tone pots are push/pull for series/parallel on their respective p'ups. I would also like to add a universal coil cut and a phase switch in the other two positions (volume controls). Any ideas? Thanks.