NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wiring Library

Wiring Diagram Library

[I can only add 10 images per post so look to the end of the thread as others get added time allowing.]

Here are some images I fixed up to show the various wirings that I've noodled around with. Thanks to the various Les Paul forums for all the info I've pulled from the past posts and to Black Rose Customs for including a diagram of their kit wiring on their website.

Here is a way to get a master volume control without having to mess around with removing or running any wires in your guitar. It's pretty simple and can be reversed easily. With the master tone option, you can use the 50s wiring if you want. With two tone controls though, 50s wiring isn't an option because the tone controls have to come before the switch and volume control. Your pots will need to be grounded, of course.

Here is a wiring that gives you Master Volume and Master Tone after your regular individual pickup volume controls. You can modify this to include 50s style wiring on the master volume and tone controls. You can also modify it for independent separate volume controls ala the diagrams above in this thread. NOTE that users have reported that best results are attained by ungrounding the main volume pots. This idea is not detailed in the images below.

Here is stock wiring with only one Tone control. This is essentially 50s style wiring because the cap is connected to the switch instead of the pickups. To complete the 50s style you would switch the Tone control's ground and cap wires.

The capacitor can be attached to the jack along with the switch wire for easy setup.

50s style wiring diagram
    Modern style wiring diagram
    Standard style wiring diagram
    50s wiring diagram
    Modern wiring diagram
    Standard wiring diagram
    Les Paul wiring diagram
    Stock wiring diagram
    Series Parallel dual pickup
    Armstrong super strat
    Last edited by ashbass; 05-11-15 at 10:28 AM.

Les Paul Forum Member GuitarDean's Avatar

Mods Re: Wiring Library

LOL, DIMMIT ASH, ya stole my post, :spin I was nearly done with my drawings and WHAMMO... here you go.

NOW WHAT HECK IS A FELLER SUPPOSED TO DO UNTIL THOSE SPRAGUES GET HERE, HUH? ;) It's winter time in the midwest and there ain't a lot to do :2lol

Nice Job, they look real good!
    Last edited by GuitarDean; 02-09-05 at 06:42 PM.
    Link to our music and the October 2013 Guitar Player Magazine article on us.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/ulmermcf...wamericanhoney and click on the "Hear This Now" picture

or my Facebook at
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dean-U...o/448425305623

ahh, uh ...like.... link us, Man!

Les Paul Forum Member

Re: Wiring Library

Aren't the modern wiring and the Black Rose nothing but the same thing?... functionally the same IMO

All Access/Backstage Pass NHMorgan's Avatar

what does it mean independent volume controls?

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ashbass
    Modern and Black Rose function differently. Try it out and see.
    I do not see how. The tone circuits are the same in both, that is, a capacitor and a resistor in series to ground. It's *functionally* the same to have "cap-res-gnd" (standard) than "res-cap-gnd" (Black Rose).

Modern and Black Rose function differently. Try it out and see.

Independent volumes means that when you're in the middle position with both pickups on, turning the volume all the way down on one won't turn off the volume on the other pickup as well.

I've heard you lose "bandwidth" by wiring that way.

Anybody else have an opinion?

Great resource. I saved them into powerpoint and even gave you credit on the cover page. Hey, it's the right thing to do, seeing as how I didn't do squat. :ahem Thanks for all the effort there.

Hey Ashbass, great work, man!! That's a really good idea. If you find some time, how about the Jimmy Page mods, you know... the 4 push/pull pots and the 1 push/pull pot with 4 wires pups? :dude

;)

What advantages do you get with 50's wiring with independent volumes compared to regular 50's wiring? I remember somthing about retaining the highs with one of these schamitics. I need enlightment.
    Last edited by exhaust_49; 02-11-05 at 02:02 PM.

With the high bypass mod do you add the resistor and the cap to the tone pot?

Just so I understand this right, you do the high bypass mod to both vol pots right?

Les Paul Forum Member Lee_Moore's Avatar

One last question...what is the second wire connection between the Vol and Tone Pots with the Black Rose Wiring diagram? I see how the capacitor is connected, I just don't see what the other wire is supposed to be.

Thanks in advance.
    Papa's hittin' the roof again, hanging stars with a hammer and wire. As the snow keeps fallin' down, Frosty's getting fatter. Mom's holding sister in the chair, telling stories and forgettin' time. Warming their memories, falling asleep by the fire.
    - Widespread Panic "Papa's Home"

He who speaks loudly will surely be heard, but a whisper cannot be ignored.
    - Warren Haynes "About to Rage"

Fantastic Artwork!!!

ashBass: On the 50's wiring, you have to attach (ground) all the pots together with wire, correct?

Thanks

brianf
    This guitar is not new!!! Don't you remember, you bought it for me for my birthday dear.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee_Moore
    One last question...what is the second wire connection between the Vol and Tone Pots with the Black Rose Wiring diagram? I see how the capacitor is connected, I just don't see what the other wire is supposed to be.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry to "quote" myself, but I was curious to know if anyone had the answer to this question. Thanks in advance.

Lee Moore
    Papa's hittin' the roof again, hanging stars with a hammer and wire. As the snow keeps fallin' down, Frosty's getting fatter. Mom's holding sister in the chair, telling stories and forgettin' time. Warming their memories, falling asleep by the fire.

The cap is connected to ground from the tone pot. The second connection you mention is how the guitar signal gets to the tone pot. Think of it as the tone pot's input wire.
    Understood. Is it just a "plain wire" that is soldered to both points? That is what I was curious about.

You know, this is the best forum I have ever found on the web, regardless of subject. The amount of knowledge and willingness to share is great to see. The fact that it is about my favorite gitar is icing on the cake. I have been mostly hanging out for the past 2-3 years and have never been disappointed and have learned a great deal, even though I am an old fart (old enough to have picked up a 59 lester for $100-$200 if I had had any sense). My comendations to everone who takes part in this

Skip

All Access/Backstage Pass Wilko's Avatar

Let's not go sucking each other's **cks yet.

Better to hear Harvey Keitel say it:
    http://members.cox.net/wilko2/lespaul/letsNotGo.wav

Those drawings are all missing the ground loop. Without a ground loop, most of those circuits won't bleed treble to ground and the tone circuits won't work. The Black rose will because the tone circuit returns to the volume pot chassis for ground. Gibson bridge grounds their Les Paul circuits.

Bare wire connects the chassis of all pots and goes to the bridge or TP stud.

Les Paul Forum Member GuitarDean's Avatar

Ash, are you going to add the ground wires to the diagrams, as in the 50's wiring, so that remains true and accurate?
    Link to our music and the October 2013 Guitar Player Magazine article on us.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/ulmermcf...wamericanhoney and click on the "Hear This Now" picture

or my Facebook at
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dean-U...o/448425305623

ahh, uh ...like.... link us, Man!

Les Paul Forum Member levonhelmet's Avatar

hi,this is some great information.thank-you all. just one question...... what exactly is the benefit of the 50's wiring mod? and if its so great why arent they still wiring les pauls like this nowadays?
    thanks

Les Paul Forum Member sliding-tom's Avatar

hey ashbass, while you're at it, how about a wiring that keeps the vol controls for both pups and then a master vol and master tone? I have one guitar with a setup like this and find it very useful. If I knew how it's been wired, I'd post it but since I don't?
    Just because you're bending strings doesn't
    mean you play the Blues!

Come and join us at the Cafe Wah:
    http://www.cafewah.com/forum/index.php?s=

How about some 3 PU LP wiring options? (ala Customs)

purty please!
    I got the keys in my pocket, but where in the hell is the car?

This is one great topic..

But as I undersand very little about electronics, could someone please do the diagram for the coil splitting wiring mod suggested by wilko in this thread?

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/sh...ghlight=wiring

I just can't figure it out, sorry.
    - 2006 Les Paul Historic R4 Oxblood
    - 2012 ES-330TDVB
    - 1995 Les Paul Studio Ebony with B7 Bigsby

There is NO substitute for Loudness.

Use a DPDT switch (ON-ON) for series / parallel wiring of the coils or a DPDT (ON-ON-ON) switch for series /split / parallel wiring of the coils.

I agree that series / parallel wiring is the way to go over coil tapping.

"Crank up the drums, Crank up the bass,
    Crank up my Les Paul in your face!"

I've yet to ask to John @ Blackrose whether or not long shaft SPST push/pull 500K CTS audio's are available. But I remember him saying that CTS was to stop producing them. Anyways, this leads to the following question of mine (which I thought should be here):

Is there a way to install a DPDT miniswitch (either on a pot, or stand alone) without drilling the wood of my 95LP standard. I vaguely remember the phrase "under the pickguard", but cannot make much sense of it.

Your feedback will be very appreciated.

Best,

B

AKA Dr.Barlo

Les Paul Forum Member

Great Thread!

So braided wire is ok between pots-jacks-switch but not for ground? I'm about to solder my 335 and once is more than enough head-ache for me

Les Paul Forum Member GlassSnuff's Avatar

Braided wire would work for the ground connections, but it's not needed as there's no point in shielding the ground. Gibson used bare wire for reasons of cost and ease of assembly. Anything that conducts will work in a pinch - the ground wire from my tailpiece is a piece of a .010 guitar string.

Les Paul Forum Member

Sliding-Tom:
    Here is a wiring that gives you Master Volume and Master Tone after your regular individual pickup volume controls. You can modify this to include 50s style wiring on the master volume and tone controls. You can also modify it for independent separate volume controls ala the diagrams above in this thread.

The problem with this wiring scheme is that it puts the master volume in parallel with the pickup volumes, producing a 250k load on each pickup instead of the 500k load they were most likely designed to see. It's even worse in the middle switch position - in the middle switch position you're at 250k total load even without the master volume - add the master volume and it drops yet more.

I've been using this type of scheme for years. The solution is to lift the third lug away from ground on both the pickup volume controls. That restores the pickup loading back to 500k via the master volume. The individual volume controls will still function just fine to reduce the individual pickup volumes and allow you to adjust the balance between the pickups. The only thing that requires a mental adjustment is that neither individual volume control will go all the way 'off'. But that's now the job of the master volume.

As I said, I've used the two pickup volumes plus master volume/master tone for a long, long time. Until I figured out to lift the grounded lug on the pickup volumes, there was muddiness, most noticeable on the neck pickup. Now, all is well, and the middle position now has more brightness, since the middle position now has a 500k load on it instead of a 250k load.
    Last edited by RickN; 07-30-06 at 11:15 PM.
    Rick N.

"Get to work!" Tommy Emmanuel

Well I'm pretty much mentally disabled when it comes to things like this. I wish I could understand it all as well as you folks. Anyhow, my question is this: I'm going to drop in an RS kit with all the goodies. Being as bad as I am with electronics I'm going to have a buddy of mine's do the pickup connections using the pre-wired kit. How is that RS pre-wired kit wired? Standard or 50s? Click on the enlarge pic.

http://www.rsguitarworks.net/rsstore...roducts_id=178

Would I be better off buying the non-pre-wired kit and printing this thread out and handing it to a guitar tech in my area? I just want to make sure I have my LP set up at optimum.

another bump and another vote to sticky

...and a request...

two volume, 3way, series /paralel sw, no tone

tone pots are replaced by the 3 way and the s/p switch

thanks
    One way or another, this darkness, got to give.

Les Paul Forum Member eresseraca's Avatar

Here's my contribution to the Wiring Diagram thread.

50's wiring schematic, the way I did it on Thursday Burst.

Last edited by eresseraca; 08-15-06 at 03:42 PM.

Les Paul Forum Member
    Formerly Musicinmysoul

For the 50's Wiring do I unsolder the lower tabs that are grounded to the tone pots and straighten them out?

Edit: Nevermind! I just took my Paul down to the garage and switched to 50s wiring and it took like 10 minutes!
    Last edited by Danny; 10-02-06 at 07:03 PM.
    "Music is the only thing that you can share with a million million people and you don't lose, you gain. It helps you to get energy and to live long, because when your soul is very happy then you don't want to die." - Ali Akbar Khan

Les Paul Forum Member
    Formerly Musicinmysoul

Hmm a little bit, the treble is a bit clearer on the lower levels. I like the swell I'm getting from the tone as well.

Different topic, say I were to buy an RS upgrade kit, loose parts. I'm trying to figure out if I could install it myself, what does the "Shielding soldered together with addition wire" thing mean on eresseraca's diagram? I figured out where everything else goes and even where the big white jack wire and orange wire-both coming from the switch- go on the jack, but are they soldered together or what???
    "Music is the only thing that you can share with a million million people and you don't lose, you gain. It helps you to get energy and to live long, because when your soul is very happy then you don't want to die." - Ali Akbar Khan

Les Paul Forum Member
    Formerly Musicinmysoul

With my wiring the only wires that have braids are the pups, the others coming from the switch or just colored white, red, green, and black. There are 4 wires coming from the switch, with the colors above.

They are packed into bigger gray wire and when I look at the bottom cavity theres the gray wire, out come the white, red, green, and black, but then theres another wire, a yellow one, seemingly coming out of nowhere. I looked closely at the edge of the gray wire at the switch cavity and there is a little tiny wire kind of just hanging out, looking to be the source of the yellow wire.

Now, how do I put all of that into one black wire running from the jack to the switch?

Les Paul Forum Member antosimoni's Avatar

hi Ash,
    thanks for all the precious info you gave us...
    do you have any info on how to wire a Fishman piezo-TOM using a tone of the LP and usin' the other as a master one?? I want that in a way that when I roll off the fishman its muted and evrything else works normally...
    thanks for any advice

this thread has been very useful.. i did the 50's wiring on my '93 studio and i like it very much.. tone does stay put(up to a certain extent) when decreasing volume.

kudos to Ashbass for being so generous in sharing/starting this thread..
    Godbless.

***bump to top***

Les Paul Forum Member R4R7Custom's Avatar

This seems to be the thread for this:

This Circuit uses a 500k Blend/Balance pot w/Center Detente to allow either individual caps on the pups or a Master Tone Control w/2 values of caps.

All the pots used are 500k either Audio or Linear Taper. Capacitors "A" and "B" can be any value. If one is using a Master Tone type circuit, one might use a .02 and a .04 to duplicate a standard LP tone circuit. Personally, I like .01 and .02.

If one is using the Individual type circuit values for "A" & "B" might be .02. Again, I like .01 for the Bridge and .02 for the Neck. The .01 for the Bridge gives more bite than a .02

The beauty of this design is that it allows for the Master Volume in a 4 knob configuration without losing the ability to have either separate caps for each pup, or a Master Tone with 2 different cap values. The nice thing about the Blend pot is the Detente, which lets you bring to pot back to center by feel, without having to look at it.

The 500k Blend/Balance Pot w/Detente is available from Allparts. Part # EP 0386-000 for $10. This seems to be an Audio Taper so most of the tone roll off is in the last 20% of the knob's travel in either direction. I haven't been able to find a Linear Taper balance pot.

Enjoy.

Les Paul Forum Member GlassSnuff's Avatar

Very nice, R4R5Custom!

I'd suggest a 250K pot for the master volume pot, to reduce both the inline resistance and the added load. This would be especially important in the second diagram, where the tone pots aren't connected after the master for a 50's effect.

While shopping at AllParts, you might pick one of their stacked independent controls ( EP_4586-000) as in the second version it would let you have separate tone controls that could be used simultaneously. For this, I'd connect them to the input lugs on the volume pots (modern style) so the inline resistances would isolate them when the pots were turned down.

Anyway, I'm happy to see this as I'm a big fan of separate caps for each pup, AND I like master volumes, AND I like mixing pups in the middle position. These designs have it all!

Quote Originally Posted by GlassSnuff View Post
    Very nice, R4R5Custom!

I'd suggest a 250K pot for the master volume pot, to reduce both the inline resistance and the added load. This would be especially important in the second diagram, where the tone pots aren't connected after the master for a 50's effect.

While shopping at AllParts, you might pick one of their stacked independent controls ( EP_4586-000) as in the second version it would let you have separate tone controls that could be used simultaneously. For this, I'd connect them to the input lugs on the volume pots (modern style) so the inline resistances would isolate them when the pots were turned down.

Anyway, I'm happy to see this as I'm a big fan of separate caps for each pup, AND I like master volumes, AND I like mixing pups in the middle position. These designs have it all!
    Thanks for your comments.

On my R4 & R7 Customs I have used the stacked pots for Volume controls; works great. On the R4 Goldtop I wanted to retain the vintage look, saw Ashbass's Master Volume design, and thought about how I could incorporate that and still have separate caps on the tone controls.

What would be the benefit of lowering the resistance of the circuit? Would there really be a noticeable difference in output level?

I'm glad to know these designs will be part of the Library. Thanks to Ashbass for his compilation.

Quote Originally Posted by ashbass View Post
    Great addition, R4R7Custom! Thanks.

BTW: does 'kalimusic' have anything to do with escrima?
    Thanks Ashbass.

Escrima? You mean the martial arts? No, my Kali is a Goddess.
    Here's Kali:

Quote Originally Posted by ashbass View Post
    Cool image. Yes I was thinking of the martial art Kali.

Here's another take on the two caps thing. I have my R4 and R7 done up like this but the R4 has a Sprague .022 and a vintage Grey Tiger .02. Here the caps are connected to the center/output lug of the master vol control for the 50s style wiring. I didn't 50s-ize the tone control in the diagram because the caps would've covered up the connections.

Notice the ungrounded neck and bridge vol pot outside lugs. Mofinco mentioned this here in an earlier post and I agree that no ground there sounds much better.

A benefit in this setup is that I can use either cap for either pickup. This is cool for when you want a darker cap on the neck or need the brighter cap on the bridge. Good to go all around.

My earlier diagram without the switch had the Tone control as the bottom rear control. The way I hold the guitar the bottom rear control is hidden from view behind the top front control. In practice I've found that I need to see the tone control numbers more than the master vol control numbers so I moved them around. I can dial the 'hidden' master vol control by ear. The Tone control I like to look at for quick hits to the sweet spots.
    Very cool. Have you tried the PUSH/PUSH switches? You don't have to get your fingers under the knob; just push and play. Pretty cool! I've got 'em on some of the amps I build and on my R7 Custom, switching the middle pup on/off and I've got a simple High-pass filter to get more of a single-coil sound. I'll get a drawing of that up in the near future.
    Allparts EP_0296-000 500K Push/Push Linear Taper Potentiometer, With Nut and Washer Retail Price: $16.00