• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

04 Explorer Pro!

sayonaura

Had it for a few months now, lovin it!

got it from MF (they made me wait 2 months)... I guess i was clueless as to the current state of affairs with gibson. I wouldnt do that again..BUT does anyone know If this model has already been discontinued? still on Gibsons website, but as of this morning, you cant find one on MF or Music123. the only place I found one (cant remember where) had a price far more than what i paid. :dude

Amber3.jpg
Amber2.jpg

Last edited:

Blue97FXSTC

It's been discontinued.
A friend of mine ordered one through GC Columbus, OH.
They, in turn, ordered from Gibson.
Gibson factory called back the dealer and said he got the LAST ONE to be made.
This was just last week.
Trans-Amber, just like your pics.

sayonaura

Jesus...

looks like I did something right for once!
I do not have a full size Explorer, but I used to. I can say with confidence that for me, this thing is every bit as bad ass (or more) than the one i used to have.

I know where there is another one RIGHT NOW in translucent black, and they are as yet unaware that the model has been discontinued...

having a serious case of GAS at the moment..

I dont think there were very many black ones made...

Someone ORDER ME TO BUY IT.....

Magnum

Buy it Dammit! Those are too cool.

edit: Also, the only reason I would like to see it in a full size body is because I'm 6'3" and I'm already used to that size.

sayonaura

I bought it...

I will have it in my hands in 1 month, and I will post pictures then...

god I cant wait....

sayonaura

yyyeeeesssss... :biglaugh: got it... :biggrin: the top is not as nice as the amber one, but it plays like a dream
here are a couple pics.

Differences between black and amber
1. the amber one has a sort of translucent red back, you can see the woodgrain over the entire back. the black one has a solid black back.

2. the knobs are different. the amber one has knobs like my 81 les paul, the black one has a variation of the witch hat knobs, (shaped like witch hats, but clear with the numbers inside like the speed knobs) I have never seen these particular knobs before, and my initial reaction is that I dont think I like them,
they feel funny to me.

(I hope i posted these right, I seem to have trouble doing it..might need some help...)

those are the only two differences that I can see.

[/IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/sayonaura/transblack.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/sayonaura/thewholefamdamily.jpg

Sixstringhotshot

You just got the IMG tags backwards. Put the
last. Simple error!

Those knobs on the black one look like black bell knobs, which are the same as the gold bell knobs on Les Paul standards. I love those knobs!

sayonaura

Re: 04 Explorer Pro X2!!!

are they like this??

I have been playing it all afternoon,and they feel strange to me, guess im just used to the other kind... I have a set of knobs that match my other two guitars, and they may get changed..but I usually like to leave things "as is" so I am going to try to get used to them..now does anyone know how many years these were in production??. I dropped off the Amber one today for a set up, and the tech said "hang onto it"

blackbell.jpg

:dude

sayonaura

come on guys!
give me some insight. when did production start on this model? does anyone know how i can determine how many were made? I dont know if I am saying the wrong things, but i feel like I am getting the cold shoulder....

Sayonaura,
there's a Gibson USA press release dated June 18, 2002, which refers to Matthias Jabs receiving "only the second one (X-Plorer Pro) to leave the factory". Here's the link: http://www.gibson.com/whatsnew/pressrelease/2002/june18a.html

As you know, Gibson announced that the X-Plorer Pro was discontinued sometime during the week of January 17, 2005. Gibson doesn't release production numbers at all, and is privately held, so short of an "insider" in Nashville sneaking a peek at the books and letting us know how many X-Plorer Pros were made, that's probably the only information we're likely to get...

TomTaco

Magnum said:
Maybe they'll do one with a full sized body. If so, sign me up!
Yep, me too. The only reason I don't have one (black) is I don't want the shrunken body. Not sure why they thought that was a good idea in the first place.

Sixstringhotshot

Re: 04 Explorer Pro X2!!!

sayonaura said:
are they like this??

I have been playing it all afternoon,and they feel strange to me, guess im just used to the other kind... I have a set of knobs that match my other two guitars, and they may get changed..but I usually like to leave things "as is" so I am going to try to get used to them..now does anyone know how many years these were in production??. I dropped off the Amber one today for a set up, and the tech said "hang onto it"

blackbell.jpg

:dude

yep! those are the black bell knobs. Got em on my V-90, SG-X, and my ESP Eclipse. Love em! Much more comfy than the speed knobs which are what are on your orange Explorer Pro. :ahem

PatentAppliedFor

My buddy vinnie bought one a few weeks ago & I played it at a jam seesion, really cool guitar. I like it better than the full size for extended playing for sure =)