• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Recording Tone

03LBurst

In the Zone
Spent a very snowy Saturday night trying to get a decent tone into my PC. Looking for a growly kind of distortion for the rythm and I've gotten close. The lead is kind of weak in my opinion. Just looking for some input from the tone experts here.

skeletor

i dont know what amp/speaker cab you have. mine is a 4*12 marshall.

the books will tell you to put the mic a couple of inches away pointed at the outer cone of one of the speakers.

the best way i have found is to press the mic right up, and point it directly in the middle of the cab just above the marshall logo. when you monitor this it sounds quite muffled.

from there, slowly point the mic up towards one of the speakers. use it like a presence knob. the more you point it towards the speaker the more presence you will have. the more you return it back to the marshall logo the less presence you will have. experiment til you find the right tone your after.
keep the mic pressed up against the cab all the time.

hope this helps.

Tangymusic

how many inputs do you have to work with?

It's tough to get a good sound from one mic.
Every time you hear an amp in a recording, or live you are usally hearing a combination of mics and the room filling out the sound. The high end gets covered by putting a mic against the grille as skeletor suggests.
The problem is that what you then need is some room ambience to fill out the sound, give it that meaty, full sound.
If I have two mics I put one against the grille off the cone, and the other about 3-4 feet away in front of the cabinet.
Then I lay a packing blanket over the whole thing to keep the sound full, and focused.
If you want to hear more of the room lose the packing blanket and move the cabinet mic back a few extra feet.
Finally, if you really want to get a great sound, add a third mic behind the cabinet. Serious bass action. If you have a 4x12 you will have to unscrew the back, but it's worth it.
Good luck, and keep experimenting.