NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

Thread: Tim Shaw

Les Paul Froum Member

Tim Shaw

I have read much of what you have to offer on the Tim Shaw pickups. I have some I KNOW are Shaw's 137 XXX and 138 XXX But is there an authority out there on these? I know MOST have the PAF bobbins, and MOST have unoriented alnico Vs, and ALL have Pat no Stamped backs, and some have the gold and black Pat app'd for sticker. And many have the 3 digit ink code (ie 137 or 138) followed by a month year ink code (ie 383=Mar 1983 or 1182=Nov 1982) But I think there are many variations on these. On another related subject: I have some pat no stamped pickups with NO holes on top of the bobbins and they are textured, plus they have molded-in spacers or pedestals. Any info on these? They have large alnicos too! (They are my hands down favorite pickups)

Les Paul Forum Member

Re: Tim Shaw

Good job on the research of the Shaws. I think I have a pair, but mine are a fairly hot (high winding - 8.5K) and all black bobbins. Another clue to Shaw's are a white plastic bobbin support (instead of maple on real PAF's). Big Al seems to know the most on Shaw's.

On your other pickups, I haven't a clue. Maybe post some pictures?

Les Paul Froum Member

Yes all my Shaw's and "maybe" Shaw's have the white plastic spacers. I can't send pics of the Textured and molded-in spacer pickups (without any holes on top) because they currently reside in my main squeeze a Standard 82. I have seen PAF bobbin, pat no stamped, white spacer, ink codes pickups with ceramic magnets, they certainly are not Shaw's. I have not heard of a Shaw with more than 8K ohm readings, most are low to mid 7Ks.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kink56
    I have not heard of a Shaw with more than 8K ohm readings, most are low to mid 7Ks.
    That's the thing that makes me think they might not be. They are double black too, but everything else checks out. The number on the underside has almost completely rubbed away.

Les Paul Froum Member

Shaws can be black, zebra or full creme. And the very early and the post 84 ones did not have the ink codes as far as I know.
    Last edited by kink56; 07-27-07 at 09:32 PM.

Les Paul Froum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kink56
    I have read much of what you have to offer on the Tim Shaw pickups. I have some I KNOW are Shaw's 137 XXX and 138 XXX But is there an authority out there on these? I know MOST have the PAF bobbins, and MOST have unoriented alnico Vs, and ALL have Pat no Stamped backs, and some have the gold and black Pat app'd for sticker. And many have the 3 digit ink code (ie 137 or 138) followed by a month year ink code (ie 383=Mar 1983 or 1182=Nov 1982) But I think there are many variations on these. On another related subject: I have some pat no stamped pickups with NO holes on top of the bobbins and they are textured, plus they have molded-in spacers or pedestals. Any info on these? They have large alnicos too! (They are my hands down favorite pickups)
    There are also a series of Shaws that instead of the 6 digit code, have a date stamped in ink on the back(i.e. July 11, 1979). I love Shaws, and I think they are the best of the '70s PAF reissues...............................The REAL Rocker.

Les Paul Froum Member

Yes I had a 1981 Heritage 80 with July 11 1980 style ink codes. But I have seen Non-Shaw's with both style ink codes. My question is: How can you be 100% sure any of them are Shaw's Certainly they have at least one unique thing in common!!!!