• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

!986 Flame Top

Rico

What can the LPF experts tell me about my 1986 LP flame top re-issue. Serial # 6 0380 {inked on} It came -w- zebras under the covers and has a steep neck angle and weighs 9.2lbs. Although it is not historically correct the top is a beautiful burst that I have not seen reprsented here. Amber in the center to a subdued red and it sounds fantastic. Any input would be welcome. Are these increasing in value > Thanks...........Rico

Easy Money

I'm no expert but my Vintage Guitar 2005 Price Guide that I bought today says that a Les Paul Reissue Flametop 1983-1990 in Exc. Cond. has a value of:
Low-$3000.00
High-$3500.00

songsj

I would say the Vintage Guitar Guide is a little high on this one, it's true some '85's and 86's have sold for a little over 3 grand within the last year but most that have been on ebay in the past six months have not brought that high a price. That being said most sellers are not parting with them for less so there probably have not been a lot of them changing hands lately, at least not on ebay. My best guess would be 2300.00 to 2800.00 for a mint '86 with an above average top. A vintage guitar shop may get a little more 'cause they attract the right kind of buyer, allow you to see and play the guitar and take credit cards. Hard to say whether these will increase in value or not. We are in the middle of a Les Paul Historic craze right now. The '70's guitars seem to be selling and the Historics priced correctly are selling and that leaves the pre-Historics right in the middle. If your guitar is in great shape and you can afford to keep it for a few years, I'd hang on to it, it may appreciate some but if you're waiting
for it to double in value from where it is today it could be a long wait. Just my 2 cents.