• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

"Halo-ing" the ends of your strings...

Zhangliqun

I see this a lot -- instead of cutting the excess string off after putting a new string on, some players just curl each string in a halo above the tuner post.

What's that about?

madramper

I do that when I don't have wire cutters.... or am too lazy to cut them at the time!

Grandturk

I've been known to do that when my wire cutters aren't handy. My favorite though were my floyded guitars where you'd leave the ball ends flopping around the headstock.

sinner

I got a friend who doesn't curl 'em just leaves them sticking out straight a couple of inches. Dangerous habit, poke yer eye out. He says it's because he doesn't care, it's just a guitar and it doesn't mean anything to him, just the music he makes with it. But, he sucks and doesn't know it--what's THAT mean?

Paladin2019

Only lazy people or people without wire cutters do it. I used to do it when I started playing because it looked cool, but one sudden unwinding convinced me to invest in some clippers.

holygrail

Les Paul Froum Member
Some knowledgeable people say it can cause extra un wanted harmonics either way.

Paladin2019

holygrail said:
Some knowledgeable people say it can cause extra un wanted harmonics either way.

Like the harmonics you get when you miss the strings while screaming "Aaaargh, my eyeball!!!!!"?

Gold Tone

I don't cut them short to the post. I leave about 1/2" from the post and curl that. The reason is that I WAY TOO MANY times stabbed myself with s stub of a string end at the post.........I'm tired of bleeding..........unless its from playing!

The little bit of length with a curl gives it some recoil so when you hit it with your finger it bounces back a bit instead of stabbing you.

GlassSnuff

Gold Tone said:
I don't cut them short to the post. I leave about 1/2" from the post and curl that. The reason is that I WAY TOO MANY times stabbed myself with s stub of a string end at the post.........I'm tired of bleeding..........unless its from playing!

The little bit of length with a curl gives it some recoil so when you hit it with your finger it bounces back a bit instead of stabbing you.
Yep. A pegwinder and a pair of needlenose pliers... just grab that 1/2" length with the pliers and twist. Done. The pliers are also handy for pulling the old strings off the tuner posts without getting stabbed by the coil spring that results from being wound around the post.

JVIoneyman

I was stabbed like that while changing my strings. The string was sprung into my finger. It went deep too. =(

V!N

Honestly guys, playing guitar is bad for your eyes ! Even worst than TV. :dude

Harel Dan

there are many infamous stories about violin and chello players having a string snap and hit them in the eye.. hey, at least its not the eyes they need. its the ears

but that frightened me and every time I tune acoustics, or my great granpa's violin, I hold the string end away from my body

pepejara

A friend of mine used to say "I don´t like long haired guitars":lolspin