• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gary Richrath's bursts

jtm-45

Anybody know where that picture is originally from? I'd love to get a hi-res version...

I took the photo for Gibson on his Ranch back in the day. It was for an ad for the guitar he is holding in the shot. The US1 I think they called it. A morph between a Strat and Les Paul...kinda.

VamboRool

Being too young to go to live concerts in the late 70s, The Midnight Special, DK's Rock Concert and In Concert gave me a way to see numerous bands that I couldn't have seen any other way. REO was one of the bands that appeared fairly often. Great stuff!

El Gringo

I loved Gary Richrath with REO live in concert .Such a great classic Les Paul into a Marshall tone .Very taste and sweet licks from His burst ,truly one of the many vintage Burst players that influenced me from the get go .I do take exception with the poster who ripped Keith Richards one half of the Glimmer Twins who wrote all of the RIFFS that was the basic bedrock foundation of the GREATEST ROCK and ROLL BAND in the WORLD -THE ROLLING STONES .To this individual I respond with if you CAN WRITE SONGS like KEITH RICHARDS then stand up for a round of applause because there is no denying the MT.RUSHMORE of accomplishments and accolades from Grammy awards , Rock and Roll Hall of fame award and too many others to mention or even remember .Truly one of the most moronic idiot statements that I have ever read about , that his only talent was spotting vintage guitars .Let me refer you to the Rolling Stones catalogue of greatest hits going back to 1962- today 2018 which just happens to be the 56th year of the ROLLING STONES .

F-Hole

He sure did have cool Les Pauls. Wonder where they are now?

Here's one of Gary's that visited my place recently (exposed double white PAFs). In fact, if you look hard enough, there are two "Gary" 'bursts here.

Apologies for the poor quality photo.

Rev.WillieVK

Fantastic photo John!! :dude:

I take it there were 2 'GR' guitars in the photo? :q What was the occasion for the great gaggle?

F-Hole

I take it there were 2 'GR' guitars in the photo? :q What was the occasion for the great gaggle?

One GR guitar, one GM (or PG) guitar.......

No special occasion, just a couple of visitors that needed a place to hang.

Hope you're well mate.

WP Blues

The resurrection of this thread has prompted me to go downstairs and spend some time with my scanner. These shots are of Gary in his prime. The first five were taken at Tri-State University on October 26th, 1974 in my home town of Angola, Indiana, and the sixth one was taken approximately one year later in Fort Wayne. Seeing that burst so close up made me a confirmed Les Paul addict for life (I'm 60 now). I agree with many of the previous comments, i.e., while Gary may not have been critically acclaimed as a virtuoso guitarist, he WAS entertaining and projected a lot of energy and excitement for REO's music.

rr01.jpg

rr02.jpg

rr03.jpg

. . . and, on the next one, get a load of the duct tape!

rr04.jpg

rr05.jpg

Next one a year later, looks like the finish was removed on this one.

rr06.jpg

Rev.WillieVK

One GR guitar, one GM (or PG) guitar.......

No special occasion, just a couple of visitors that needed a place to hang.

Hope you're well mate.

I'm quite well and hope you & yours are too! :salude

I saw the PG/GM Burst but for some reason thought the lower right might be a Rossington. :##

I thought I had posted these already but just in case, another Richrath Burst:

i-hKFCKqK.jpg

i-BsXtpwp.jpg

i-C9LLBxw.jpg

AA00475Bassman

Always a fan , REO played our town a lot Gary was big Les Paul influence for me . High Schooler in the 70's he was a great sound & player . Really have read some very unkind posts on this forum in regards to Gary . Its no mystery so few pro's contribute to the LPF !

renderit

Always a fan , REO played our town a lot Gary was big Les Paul influence for me . High Schooler in the 70's he was a great sound & player . Really have read some very unkind posts on this forum in regards to Gary . Its no mystery so few pro's contribute to the LPF !

It might be surprising how many do. But no matter how good you are remember: EVERYBODY that has EVER PICKED UP A GUITAR IS BETTER on the net.

And live at a bar. Trust me on this.

AA00475Bassman

It might be surprising how many do. But no matter how good you are remember: EVERYBODY that has EVER PICKED UP A GUITAR IS BETTER on the net.

And live at a bar. Trust me on this.

Are you coming out of the closet Ren ?

Ive been on several other forums non guitar many as my hobbies are vast , the people are transparent after some time , Trust me on this !

marfen

Thx for posting these awesome shots. Gary sure had same big paws , long fingers…and great guitars.