• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gary Richrath's bursts

lure555

Swirling Vortex of Sound, Classic Club
Listening to pre-High Infedelity stuff now. He didn't get much love here, but man, he just sounded like he was having the time of his life when he was playing. You can't say that about a lot of players.

abalonevintage

He didn't get much love here

"Roll With the Changes" was one of the best feel good rock songs of the era...probably any era. It might even qualify as an anthem.

AND, when I was coming up, you HAD to learn "Flying Turkey Trot." LOL!

CDaughtry

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator
I've been listening to the Live album from 77 ever since I heard that he had passed. I haven't listened to that album in probably 20 years, but I remember every single note on it, like I had been listening to it constantly. That stuff is permanently embedded in my brain.:jim

CPM55

RIP...I always enjoyed his stuff....and he had a hell of a collection! My condolences to his family.

BurstWurst

Credit where credit's due to REO for being a great band before Cronin's influence sissified the band. And to Gary for recognizing the value of original 50's LPs fairly early on. It's a shame the demons and conflicts with Cronin took such a toll. Hope he's got a nice Burst, wherever he is now. RIP.

Quantumquest1

I strived many, many years to play in front of big crowds and buy cool guitars. Regardless of anyone's perceived talent level, Gary seemed to have done what many of us wished we had done. Now, I would have hoped many of us would be humble if we had made it to Gary's level.

Amen. Ed Seelig, with Silver Strings Music, not only was a close personal friend with Gary but supplied him with many of his Bursts and other topflight guitars (Broadcasters, Strats, vintage D-28's, Gibson J-180's) in addition to the Worthington Ed Seelig model that Gary used on the road sometimes.

There is a picture of Gary in his heyday playing live where he looks very happy with a huge grin on his face. Ed Seelig captioned it "A Midwest kid living his dream".

Ed has a great big heart and "gets" the essence of what most of us who are attracted to the guitar are here for: to have fun and feel good doing it! Irregardless of how we look, how we play or even what we play, let's take the high road and appreciate the common ground we do share rather than playing armchair critic. We all learn and evolve in life, making mistakes along the way, sometimes in youthful zeal and sometimes we can get mired in challenges to our health, mind and spirit. Cut people a break sometimes. Gary brought a lot of joy to many people and didn't sell out. I think it sucks that he's no longer with us however I'm comforted that he's in Heaven playing to his heart's content!

marshall1987

I was captivated by Gary Richrath after seeing the feature Guitar Player Magazine article and cover photo of him back in 1982 (I think). I had previously heard REO Speedwagon on FM radio, but didn't really understand who Gary was. Here's a guy who rose from obscurity to international acclaim and was one of the most prominent champions of classic rock and the 1958-1960 Gibson Les Paul Standard during the dreadful Disco Era of the late 1970's.

When Gary took the stage, he had the chops/licks and vitality which would cause crowds to rise to their feet and clap their hands in a state of feverishness. Just look at this clip of Gary playing "Flying Turkey Trot".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Jr4R_xheeE

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5Jr4R_xheeE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

With Gary it was all about tone, dynamics, phrasing, and his unique penchant for playing "chirps" or pinch harmonics. Playing to the audience was a natural gift. Although he could play very fast if he desired, he understood that one spellbinding note sounded on his Les Paul could be ten times more mesmerizing to audiences than a hundred 64th notes. He was a master at producing live classic rock tone from his PAF-equipped vintage Les Pauls and Marshall amps. He is one of my all-time favorites.

I, like many others, have had defining moments in my youth punctuated by the FM radio tunes and captivating music of Gary Richrath and REO Speedwagon during the 1970's and 80's. Hi-Infidelity being one of the most memorable.

The World is simply a better place given Gary Richrath's dazzling musical accomplishments and noble legacy. We miss you Gary. May God bless his soul. RIP.

marshall1987

I've said it before, and will say it again. I always thought that Richraths Les Pauls far outweighed his musical talent. HIS talent was in spotting and being able to acquire those instruments. I had a roadie that worked for REO, and heard the numerous jokes they told of standing behind his Marshall stacks and cracking up. Of all the burst players, he had the MOST non burst tone. He could have been using a PV T 1 series for what it sounded like. YMMV. I did enjoy his guitars.

Help me understand why you continue to perpetuate this trash talk about Gary Richrath please? What a load of rubbish. You got an axe to grind or what? :##

joemags54

Amen. Ed Seelig, with Silver Strings Music, not only was a close personal friend with Gary but supplied him with many of his Bursts and other topflight guitars (Broadcasters, Strats, vintage D-28's, Gibson J-180's) in addition to the Worthington Ed Seelig model that Gary used on the road sometimes.

There is a picture of Gary in his heyday playing live where he looks very happy with a huge grin on his face. Ed Seelig captioned it "A Midwest kid living his dream".

Ed has a great big heart and "gets" the essence of what most of us who are attracted to the guitar are here for: to have fun and feel good doing it! Regardless of how we look, how we play or even what we play, let's take the high road and appreciate the common ground we do share rather than playing armchair critic. We all learn and evolve in life, making mistakes along the way, sometimes in youthful zeal and sometimes we can get mired in challenges to our health, mind and spirit. Cut people a break sometimes. Gary brought a lot of joy to many people and didn't sell out. I think it sucks that he's no longer with us however I'm comforted that he's in Heaven playing to his heart's content!
:salude:dude::salude (Did you meet Big Al yet?) R.I.P. Gary...

DougDR94

When I think about Gary on stage, he was someone who played with pure joy and it was infectious to those in the crowd. That's what music is about to me. He was a treasure to those of us who grew up in central Illinois. RIP Mr. Richrath.

MightyMouse

Gary was a very talented player and his tone was always perfect for the song, as record sales of 40,000,000 attest to....
Very sad news indeed, God Bless & RIP

cds1951

I seem to recall reading Guitar Player some years back when Gary was on the cover that his guitar tech rewound the pickups in his 'burst(s) once a year. If that is so, can someone explain the merits of such an action? I'm afraid I don't quite understand the rationle!

I know some people that would tell you that the pickups must have run out of electrons from being played too much LOL

etzeppy

Loved Gary. The dude had some great licks and knew how to play within the context of a song. Great taste in guitars too. He lived the dream, at least for a time.

Musicman

I've been listening to the Live album from 77 ever since I heard that he had passed. I haven't listened to that album in probably 20 years, but I remember every single note on it, like I had been listening to it constantly. That stuff is permanently embedded in my brain.:jim

I feel the same way and everytime I hear it, it makes me smile and think of summer. :jim