The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Gary Richrath's bursts

Terrible news. One of the greats. RIP Gary.

Les Paul Forum Member

My hero growing up, love early richrath and reo.

Swirling Vortex of Sound
    Classic Club

Listening to pre-High Infedelity stuff now. He didn't get much love here, but man, he just sounded like he was having the time of his life when he was playing. You can't say that about a lot of players.

Les Paul Forum Member

He didn't get much love here
    "Roll With the Changes" was one of the best feel good rock songs of the era...probably any era. It might even qualify as an anthem.

AND, when I was coming up, you HAD to learn "Flying Turkey Trot." LOL!
    Enjoy that with my compliments. 🤠👍

Quote Originally Posted by abalonevintage View Post
    "Roll With the Changes" was one of the best feel good rock songs of the era...probably any era. It might even qualify as an anthem.

AND, when I was coming up, you HAD to learn "Flying Turkey Trot." LOL!
    +1 Golden Country as well
    back where it all begins...

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator CDaughtry's Avatar

I've been listening to the Live album from 77 ever since I heard that he had passed. I haven't listened to that album in probably 20 years, but I remember every single note on it, like I had been listening to it constantly. That stuff is permanently embedded in my brain.

Les Paul Forum Member

RIP...I always enjoyed his stuff....and he had a hell of a collection! My condolences to his family.

Les Paul Forum Member marshall1987's Avatar
    Feuding With "Devil Anse" Hatfield on the Tug Fork

Quote Originally Posted by pauldeluxe View Post
    From the looks of Gary lately, he must have sold them off and bought a warehouse full of Twinkies.

Sorry, that was a cheap shot.
    More than a cheap shot....kinda dumb.
    "Scan not a friend under a microscopic glass; you know his faults so let his foibles pass".

Sir Frank Crisp
    Friar Park
    London, England

Credit where credit's due to REO for being a great band before Cronin's influence sissified the band. And to Gary for recognizing the value of original 50's LPs fairly early on. It's a shame the demons and conflicts with Cronin took such a toll. Hope he's got a nice Burst, wherever he is now. RIP.

Les Paul Forum Member Quantumquest1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 53Goldtop View Post
    I strived many, many years to play in front of big crowds and buy cool guitars. Regardless of anyone's perceived talent level, Gary seemed to have done what many of us wished we had done. Now, I would have hoped many of us would be humble if we had made it to Gary's level.
    Amen. Ed Seelig, with Silver Strings Music, not only was a close personal friend with Gary but supplied him with many of his Bursts and other topflight guitars (Broadcasters, Strats, vintage D-28's, Gibson J-180's) in addition to the Worthington Ed Seelig model that Gary used on the road sometimes.

There is a picture of Gary in his heyday playing live where he looks very happy with a huge grin on his face. Ed Seelig captioned it "A Midwest kid living his dream".

Ed has a great big heart and "gets" the essence of what most of us who are attracted to the guitar are here for: to have fun and feel good doing it! Irregardless of how we look, how we play or even what we play, let's take the high road and appreciate the common ground we do share rather than playing armchair critic. We all learn and evolve in life, making mistakes along the way, sometimes in youthful zeal and sometimes we can get mired in challenges to our health, mind and spirit. Cut people a break sometimes. Gary brought a lot of joy to many people and didn't sell out. I think it sucks that he's no longer with us however I'm comforted that he's in Heaven playing to his heart's content!

I was captivated by Gary Richrath after seeing the feature Guitar Player Magazine article and cover photo of him back in 1982 (I think). I had previously heard REO Speedwagon on FM radio, but didn't really understand who Gary was. Here's a guy who rose from obscurity to international acclaim and was one of the most prominent champions of classic rock and the 1958-1960 Gibson Les Paul Standard during the dreadful Disco Era of the late 1970's.

When Gary took the stage, he had the chops/licks and vitality which would cause crowds to rise to their feet and clap their hands in a state of feverishness. Just look at this clip of Gary playing "Flying Turkey Trot".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Jr4R_xheeE

With Gary it was all about tone, dynamics, phrasing, and his unique penchant for playing "chirps" or pinch harmonics. Playing to the audience was a natural gift. Although he could play very fast if he desired, he understood that one spellbinding note sounded on his Les Paul could be ten times more mesmerizing to audiences than a hundred 64th notes. He was a master at producing live classic rock tone from his PAF-equipped vintage Les Pauls and Marshall amps. He is one of my all-time favorites.

I, like many others, have had defining moments in my youth punctuated by the FM radio tunes and captivating music of Gary Richrath and REO Speedwagon during the 1970's and 80's. Hi-Infidelity being one of the most memorable.

The World is simply a better place given Gary Richrath's dazzling musical accomplishments and noble legacy. We miss you Gary. May God bless his soul. RIP.
    "Scan not a friend under a microscopic glass; you know his faults so let his foibles pass".

Sir Frank Crisp
    Friar Park
    London, England

Quote Originally Posted by 585960 View Post
    I've said it before, and will say it again. I always thought that Richraths Les Pauls far outweighed his musical talent. HIS talent was in spotting and being able to acquire those instruments. I had a roadie that worked for REO, and heard the numerous jokes they told of standing behind his Marshall stacks and cracking up. Of all the burst players, he had the MOST non burst tone. He could have been using a PV T 1 series for what it sounded like. YMMV. I did enjoy his guitars.
    Help me understand why you continue to perpetuate this trash talk about Gary Richrath please? What a load of rubbish. You got an axe to grind or what?

Sir Frank Crisp
    Friar Park
    London, England

Les Paul Forum Member joemags54's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quantumquest1 View Post
    Amen. Ed Seelig, with Silver Strings Music, not only was a close personal friend with Gary but supplied him with many of his Bursts and other topflight guitars (Broadcasters, Strats, vintage D-28's, Gibson J-180's) in addition to the Worthington Ed Seelig model that Gary used on the road sometimes.

There is a picture of Gary in his heyday playing live where he looks very happy with a huge grin on his face. Ed Seelig captioned it "A Midwest kid living his dream".

Ed has a great big heart and "gets" the essence of what most of us who are attracted to the guitar are here for: to have fun and feel good doing it! Regardless of how we look, how we play or even what we play, let's take the high road and appreciate the common ground we do share rather than playing armchair critic. We all learn and evolve in life, making mistakes along the way, sometimes in youthful zeal and sometimes we can get mired in challenges to our health, mind and spirit. Cut people a break sometimes. Gary brought a lot of joy to many people and didn't sell out. I think it sucks that he's no longer with us however I'm comforted that he's in Heaven playing to his heart's content!
    (Did you meet Big Al yet?) R.I.P. Gary...
    "Big time Bill. Big time. Big time.".... Ronnie Hawkins

When I think about Gary on stage, he was someone who played with pure joy and it was infectious to those in the crowd. That's what music is about to me. He was a treasure to those of us who grew up in central Illinois. RIP Mr. Richrath.

Les Paul Forum Member The Shifter's Avatar

He loved 'Bursts and he loved to play guitar. He was one of us. Respect.

Gary was a very talented player and his tone was always perfect for the song, as record sales of 40,000,000 attest to....
    Very sad news indeed, God Bless & RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles58 View Post
    I seem to recall reading Guitar Player some years back when Gary was on the cover that his guitar tech rewound the pickups in his 'burst(s) once a year. If that is so, can someone explain the merits of such an action? I'm afraid I don't quite understand the rationle!
    I know some people that would tell you that the pickups must have run out of electrons from being played too much LOL

Les Paul Forum Member Daytripper67's Avatar

Loved Gary. The dude had some great licks and knew how to play within the context of a song. Great taste in guitars too. He lived the dream, at least for a time.

Quote Originally Posted by CDaughtry View Post
    I've been listening to the Live album from 77 ever since I heard that he had passed. I haven't listened to that album in probably 20 years, but I remember every single note on it, like I had been listening to it constantly. That stuff is permanently embedded in my brain.
    I feel the same way and everytime I hear it, it makes me smile and think of summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev.WillieVK View Post
    Anybody know where that picture is originally from? I'd love to get a hi-res version...
    I took the photo for Gibson on his Ranch back in the day. It was for an ad for the guitar he is holding in the shot. The US1 I think they called it. A morph between a Strat and Les Paul...kinda.

Les Paul Forum Member

Being too young to go to live concerts in the late 70s, The Midnight Special, DK's Rock Concert and In Concert gave me a way to see numerous bands that I couldn't have seen any other way. REO was one of the bands that appeared fairly often. Great stuff!

Les Paul Forum Member

I loved Gary Richrath with REO live in concert .Such a great classic Les Paul into a Marshall tone .Very taste and sweet licks from His burst ,truly one of the many vintage Burst players that influenced me from the get go .I do take exception with the poster who ripped Keith Richards one half of the Glimmer Twins who wrote all of the RIFFS that was the basic bedrock foundation of the GREATEST ROCK and ROLL BAND in the WORLD -THE ROLLING STONES .To this individual I respond with if you CAN WRITE SONGS like KEITH RICHARDS then stand up for a round of applause because there is no denying the MT.RUSHMORE of accomplishments and accolades from Grammy awards , Rock and Roll Hall of fame award and too many others to mention or even remember .Truly one of the most moronic idiot statements that I have ever read about , that his only talent was spotting vintage guitars .Let me refer you to the Rolling Stones catalogue of greatest hits going back to 1962- today 2018 which just happens to be the 56th year of the ROLLING STONES .

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 585960 View Post
    He sure did have cool Les Pauls. Wonder where they are now?
    Here's one of Gary's that visited my place recently (exposed double white PAFs). In fact, if you look hard enough, there are two "Gary" 'bursts here.

Apologies for the poor quality photo.

The artist formerly known as "A-hole".

Les Paul Forum Member Rev.WillieVK's Avatar

Fantastic photo John!!

I take it there were 2 'GR' guitars in the photo? What was the occasion for the great gaggle?

Les Paul Forum Member

I take it there were 2 'GR' guitars in the photo? What was the occasion for the great gaggle?
    One GR guitar, one GM (or PG) guitar.......

No special occasion, just a couple of visitors that needed a place to hang.

Hope you're well mate.

The resurrection of this thread has prompted me to go downstairs and spend some time with my scanner. These shots are of Gary in his prime. The first five were taken at Tri-State University on October 26th, 1974 in my home town of Angola, Indiana, and the sixth one was taken approximately one year later in Fort Wayne. Seeing that burst so close up made me a confirmed Les Paul addict for life (I'm 60 now). I agree with many of the previous comments, i.e., while Gary may not have been critically acclaimed as a virtuoso guitarist, he WAS entertaining and projected a lot of energy and excitement for REO's music.

. . . and, on the next one, get a load of the duct tape!

Next one a year later, looks like the finish was removed on this one.

GREAT shots!

Les Paul Forum Member ourmaninthenorth's Avatar

Gratuitous? Course they are.....!!

Bloody love these guitars, none more than this one.
    Shakespeare walks into a pub, the Landlord says "get out, you're Bard"

Les Paul Forum Member Rev.WillieVK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by F-Hole View Post
    One GR guitar, one GM (or PG) guitar.......

No special occasion, just a couple of visitors that needed a place to hang.

Hope you're well mate.
    I'm quite well and hope you & yours are too!

I saw the PG/GM Burst but for some reason thought the lower right might be a Rossington.

I thought I had posted these already but just in case, another Richrath Burst:

The boy had good taste in tops!

Les Paul Forum Member

I saw the PG/GM Burst but for some reason thought the lower right might be a Rossington.
    Lower right is the "Douggie Lock" 'burst.....

Les Paul Forum Member AA00475Bassman's Avatar

Always a fan , REO played our town a lot Gary was big Les Paul influence for me . High Schooler in the 70's he was a great sound & player . Really have read some very unkind posts on this forum in regards to Gary . Its no mystery so few pro's contribute to the LPF !
    Ive never confused owning a bunch of high end gear with being some kind of a guitar player I'm a hack and I love guitars !

Conveniently located between New York and Miami

The boy had good taste in tops!
    From those I have seen (pictures of at least):

+1
    "Be the ball."

Quote Originally Posted by AA00475Bassman View Post
    Always a fan , REO played our town a lot Gary was big Les Paul influence for me . High Schooler in the 70's he was a great sound & player . Really have read some very unkind posts on this forum in regards to Gary . Its no mystery so few pro's contribute to the LPF !
    It might be surprising how many do. But no matter how good you are remember: EVERYBODY that has EVER PICKED UP A GUITAR IS BETTER on the net.

And live at a bar. Trust me on this.

GREAT shots!
    +1

Les Paul Forum Member AA00475Bassman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    It might be surprising how many do. But no matter how good you are remember: EVERYBODY that has EVER PICKED UP A GUITAR IS BETTER on the net.

And live at a bar. Trust me on this.
    Are you coming out of the closet Ren ?

Ive been on several other forums non guitar many as my hobbies are vast , the people are transparent after some time , Trust me on this !
    Ive never confused owning a bunch of high end gear with being some kind of a guitar player I'm a hack and I love guitars !

Yeah, I'm famous! Approx 6.7 people know who I am.

Les Paul Forum Member

Thx for posting these awesome shots. Gary sure had same big paws , long fingers…and great guitars.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast