• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gary Richrath's bursts

agogetr

if you are judging gary on the 77 and later reo(after the live 'you get what you play for'),you dont have a clue of garys ability on stage in the early mid 70s..

now that is not too say he didnt have some very drunken sloppy moments on stage, he did,but he also used the wah with marshalls a bunch, so he doesnt have the typical 'blues rock burst tone'...

reo were never a bluesy rock band like most of the axe slingers that played bursts

they were a fun high energy party band that could write ballads way before the 80s bands copied the 'power ballad' formula...

btw, there were 2 singers before kevin cronin...

i have to get in on this! i saw gary live sometime between 75 and 76. he at one point ran out to the front of the stage, he had a levi cutaway jacket with patches and his burst, they threw the spotlight on him and he did one of the most burnin hot dynamic solos ive ever seen. his tone and prescence onstage also were spectacular. i remember going home that night and felt defeated as a guitar player. man that guy was 'on' that night.