• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson LP Gothic

Pink

Hi..

I want to buy a Gothic LP, anyone knows where can I buy a NOS one?

Any user comments of this guitar?

What do think about this guitar compare with the LP Custom in black?

Goodluck!

moonweasel

Pink,

Besides the obvious cosmetic differences, a Custom will have a different neck joint (referring to the 57 or 68 Reissue) and different pickups. They both have Ebony boards.

Here is Gibson's info page (http://www.gibson.com/products/gibson/lespaul/GothicLP.html)

For info on the Custom, just poke around on that site.

Personally, I have a Custom, and I have seen a Gothic up close. They are both pretty cool. If you can afford it, go with a real Custom, if not, the Gothic will do just fine.

Pink

moonweasel said:
Pink,

Besides the obvious cosmetic differences, a Custom will have a different neck joint (referring to the 57 or 68 Reissue) and different pickups. They both have Ebony boards.

Here is Gibson's info page (http://www.gibson.com/products/gibson/lespaul/GothicLP.html)

For info on the Custom, just poke around on that site.

Personally, I have a Custom, and I have seen a Gothic up close. They are both pretty cool. If you can afford it, go with a real Custom, if not, the Gothic will do just fine.

I really Love the Gothic look of the Gothic LP Studio...
I can afford a real Custom...
I guess if I can't find a NOS/MINT condition Gothic, than I will go for the Custom.....anyway, thanks for the info!

Pink

59refin said:
Isn't a Gothic basically a flat black Studio?

Yes....

Actually, beside the look of the guitar, I don't know what are the different btw the Studio and Custom, they have the same body wood and pickups...

siggy14

I own a gothic in mint shape, need to be rewired though because original owner had EMG's in it, i never play it, i also own a black beauty 57 reissue and a normal custom. Here are the differences and simularities between the gothic and a normal custom (not reissue).

Both the custom and the gothic have the same wood, same pickups. Both have an ebony fret board.

Here are the differences besides the obvious.
Gothic- Moon Inlay, thinner and lighter. No pickup covers. The gibson logo is painted on and not a mother of pearl inlay. Paint is flat black. The gothic seems to have different frets in my opinion.

Both guitars play great, however i love my custom so much more.

Todd

Pink

siggy14 said:
I own a gothic in mint shape, need to be rewired though because original owner had EMG's in it, i never play it, i also own a black beauty 57 reissue and a normal custom. Here are the differences and simularities between the gothic and a normal custom (not reissue).

Both the custom and the gothic have the same wood, same pickups. Both have an ebony fret board.

Here are the differences besides the obvious.
Gothic- Moon Inlay, thinner and lighter. No pickup covers. The gibson logo is painted on and not a mother of pearl inlay. Paint is flat black. The gothic seems to have different frets in my opinion.

Both guitars play great, however i love my custom so much more.

Todd

Why you love the Custom so much more? The look or the sound?

What is the different of the frets btw the Gothic and Custom?

Beside the pickups and deep joint neck, what are the different btw the Custom and 57 reissue? The neck profile are the same?

The deep joint neck makes a big different or not? thanks for the info.....

Pink

Pink said:
Why you love the Custom so much more? The look or the sound?

What is the different of the frets btw the Gothic and Custom?

Beside the pickups and deep joint neck, what are the different btw the Custom and 57 reissue? The neck profile are the same?

The deep joint neck makes a big different or not? thanks for the info......
anyone?

siggy14

Sorry pink, i have been busy latley. I love the custom just for the cosmetics and i am just not a big fan of the gothic color i guess, i like shinny things. Good luck in your search.

Todd

pilotlight

Pink,

I haven't any experience with a Gothic, but I can tell you this:

If you ever try to sell the Gothic, you'll loose your ass.

If you try to sell a Custom, you'll be fine (generally speaking of course).

I have played many Customs and absolutely love the guitars... Custom Authentics are incredibly sweet! Many aesthetic differences also between the two guitars. If you have the money, step up!

siggy14

Pilot,

Actually recently the gothics are in demand again. They have been going for about 750 to 800 on ebay which is pretty good resale value, considering most people paid about a $1000 new if you could talk the right dealer down or $1200 if you couldnt.

brobillard

Okay, I'm biased, but you can't go wrong with a Custom. :dude

Good luck Pink.

WytLytnyn

Sorry to revive this. The link to the specs in this thread is dead.

Question: Are the early 2000's Gothic LPs chambered? I believe that they are.

Last edited:

El Gringo

Sorry to revive this. The link to the specs in this thread is dead.

Question: Are the early 2000's Gothic LPs chambered? I believe that they are.
That would be my guess , I do not remember seeing a Gothic on Reverb or much anywhere else . Kind of strange that in this day and age everything is available for the right $ and I do not remember seeing a Gothic Les Paul.