• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

help with setup problems

DRAGON523

I have a '96 LP Studio Gem with 2 P-90's. I'm having trouble setting up the guitar (btw, this is the first time I've set up a guitar). I'm having trouble getting the proper relief, and having trouble with buzzing. To get relief as I understand it, you fret the first and last fret on the low E string, and measure from the top of the 11th fret, and you're suppose to have just enough space to slide a credit card through. So I get the proper height, and then I adjust the action. Here's how I setup the action:

low E: 5/64 or 6/64
A: 5/64
D: 4/64
G: 4/64
B: 4/64
high E: 4/64

By the time I adjust the action, the relief has changed. The strings don't buzz when I strum open strings or the usual chords (G, A, C, D, etc..). But once I start playing up the fretboard, it starts to buzz a bit, and really gets on my nerves. I've tried adjusting the truss rod so that the neck is perfectly straight, readjust the relief and action, and I can't get to stop buzzing. I try to adjust the truss rod so that it is slightly bowed out from the strings, readjust the relief and action, and it still doesn't work. I've been trying to get this right the last couple days, but to no avail. So I'm wondering if you guys could help me out? Am I doing it wrong? Am I suppose to do it in a certain order? Is there some sort of trick to get it right? Please help:sos

Tonefiend

Fiendish One
Thats alot of relief! I do it by eye. Just a sliver more than dead flat. Put some tension back on the rod. Try 1/32 on the low E and see what happens.