• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Mark's Guitar Loft

esjazz

I just got a 2003 R9 Brazilian in washed cherry finish from Mark's Guitar Loft. It's sweet! Just wanted to say what a pleasure it was to deal with Mark Bishop. He gave me an equitable trade in, and he was very knowledgable and amiable. In contrast, I was thinking about getting an R9 at a large store, but the salesdude was a condescending nitwit, and although the guitar was being sold as "new," it had a bit of worming on the back, plus a few chips on the top and neck. So for all y'all looking for an Historic, I'd highly recommend Mark's Guitar Loft!

Aular

Congrats Dude!!! post some pics, I'm sure it's a nice one and I hope you enjoy playing the hell out of her.

esjazz

Thanks! I'm not sure how to post pics, but it's still on his site, right under the '03 darkburst. It's definitely an excellent reissue, with a nice, old-looking top, a comfortable neck, and great action. Sounds amazing, too.

jeph

Sweet guitar, congrats! I'm trying to get some stuff sold just to bring a wad of cash up there and pick up my first historic.

tele00

Yeah Mark's the best, real easy to deal with . He just got in a 03 Usa standard with a nice wine finish I'm picking up this month. As much as I love my Historics. I wanted another std and I wanted one under 9 lbs with a 50s neck. Voila' I saw in his " new stuff " that he was getting one in and he emailed me the day he got it. He's good like that. :dude

gitarzilla

Can't beat forum-approved dealers like Mark's and Dave's (and Wildwood and MM). It's nice being treated like a human being instead of just a commission %-age when you're plunking down that much cash on something so personal.

stompbox

I agree that you can not go wrong with forum dealers.... I tend to think that mark's prices are a bit high though. Does he deal at all or are the posted prices non-negotiable?

Cogswell

The Duke of Dumbassery
I bought from him, & I am notoriously cheap! To be fair, I don't think his prices are too high. I'm willing to pay a little more if it eliminates the worry & hassle that comes with buying stuff online.

stompbox

rcoggin said:
I bought from him, & I am notoriously cheap! To be fair, I don't think his prices are too high. I'm willing to pay a little more if it eliminates the worry & hassle that comes with buying stuff online.

I too am notoriously cheap ;)

But, i feel that it is not woth paying more for used gear when you can buy it for nearly that cost new from another reputable forum dealer.

Disclaimer, i have never dealt with Marks Guitar Loft so this is just an observation from what he posts on his website. I am curious if he negotiates so that i too could be a customer in the future.

dgood

stompbox said:
...i feel that it is not woth paying more for used gear when you can buy it for nearly that cost new from another reputable forum dealer.

The point of buying from Mark is that he has guitars and amps from different eras that are no longer available new. Also, he's a pro, he knows what he's doing, he doesn't rip off his customers, and he's a nice guy.

tele00

stompbox said:
I too am notoriously cheap ;)

But, i feel that it is not woth paying more for used gear when you can buy it for nearly that cost new from another reputable forum dealer.

Disclaimer, i have never dealt with Marks Guitar Loft so this is just an observation from what he posts on his website. I am curious if he negotiates so that i too could be a customer in the future.

I see Mark's prices as fair and accurate as to the condition, quality and or originality of the guitar. I look at his items as previewed and graded. Granted ,in his business ,each item is a different deal and he is into it for a different cost.

I find it more interesting that some new guitar dealers get in 20 of a certain model and they ( if they have equal options ) are all priced the same. :dead:
8 pounds 10 oz. or 10 lbs 8oz. R7 goldtop ....which one would you take for 2499.??

also his photos are second to none , as far as him moving on price ? , I don't know .Ask him ,maby with a phone call . But be advised >>>it is a toll call :ahem

Last edited:

stompbox

dgood said:
The point of buying from Mark is that he has guitars and amps from different eras that are no longer available new. Also, he's a pro, he knows what he's doing, he doesn't rip off his customers, and he's a nice guy.

Cool, like i said i was just going off what i have viewed never dealt with the man.

I have heard many many compliments about him, his reputation, and his knowledge!

Harlequin

I'll add my 2 cents worth in praise too. I recently bought a '99 R9 from Mark, he was very friendly and helpful and showed remarkable patience with my dithering questions, the R9 was sent to me in London and arrived in immaculate condition.

Someone mentioned high prices for used gear. In my opinion and experience when using Mark's Loft you are buying a handpicked guitar from someone who knows his onions and are therefore being provided with a lot of comfort about the guitar you are buying, money well spent I'd say.