The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

The Official Letter from Gibson ( no internet pics )

Recently you received a letter from Gibson regarding significant changes in the company's web policy. Gibson's intent is to drive more customers into your store, thus making your store a destination location. It has always been Gibson's desire to have sales of their instruments be done on a personal level, not on a "point and click" shopping cart level. It is only when the end consumer interacts with your sales staff can the "Gibson story" be told, and an instrument be truly matched to that individual consumer's personal needs.

Pursuant to that goal, and effective immediately, all authorized Gibson & Epiphone dealers are expected to comply with the following:

Internet sales of all new Gibson Brand instruments and products, including Gibson USA, Gibson Montana, Gibson Memphis, Gibson OAI, Slingerland, Tobias, Gibson Custom/Historic, Epiphone, Valley Arts, Gibson Strings and Accessories are to cease immediately.
    All authorized GMI dealers will be allowed to advertise that they are an "AUTHORIZED GIBSON DEALER" and link to the Gibson website, www.gibson.com.
    Photos of "in-stock" instruments currently in dealer's inventory will not be allowed to be published on dealer's website.
    Consumers are to be encouraged to actually visit the store to purchase instruments, or contact the store regarding a purchase via phone or email. Authorized GMI dealers will be allowed to email consumers photos of specific guitars in dealer's inventory.
    Specific artwork and advertising templates for authorized dealers will be made available for dealer's use on their websites. These materials will be made available for download on Gibson's internet press site, www.gibson.com/press.
    Advertising outside of dealer's immediate market area as specified in the Gibson Dealer Agreement will not be allowed. This includes (but not limited to) any printed materials such as catalogs, flyers, etc. If there is a question as to your specific market area, please contact XXXXXXXXXXX at Gibson, XXXXXXXXXXX, XXXX.
    Sales of new Gibson brand instruments at guitar shows, music events, concerts, music festivals, etc. outside of dealer's approved market area are not allowed

Les Paul Forum Member professor's Avatar

Re: The Official Letter from Gibson ( no internet pics )

THAT is total bullshit.

I wonder which MBA jackass thought THAT one up... Henry...?
    Regards, Dave Orban

www.mojogypsies.com
    The Mojo Gypsies on Myspace
    Our Youtube Wanking

Gear
    '53 ES-175
    '03 Andersen Electric Archie
    '64 ES-330

'01 L4 CES
    '64 Silvertone Jupiter
    Parts Teles w/ Vintage Vibe or Don Mare pickups

'96 Matchless Chieftain 1x12 combo
    '54 Fender Deluxe
    '01 Alessandro Beagle and English
    '58 Gibson G8 Discoverer

Les Paul Froum Member

Looks like they are doing it to help the Mom an Pop shops??

All Access/Backstage Pass Wilko's Avatar

I know a mom and pop shop that exists because they have sold more using the internet...

F*ck that.

"The Gibson story be told?" By a kid at GC who doesn't know a P90 from a guitar case?

Gibson, you're really making a HUGE mistake.

Visiting our GC is like going to a scratch and dent sale. Forget about the right case and paperwork.

My boss just bought a Cordoba Gypsy King with the wrong case and no documentation.

TT
    Life is short but it's wide.

The mom and pop shops can afford to be Gibson dealers less and less, no? I thought that the fee for being a Gibson Historic dealer was just increased. I suspect this is to get people into Guitar Center.

Les Paul Forum Member

It looks like this means that MF, zzounds, etc. can not sell Gibson guitars online, and can not advertise Gibson models in their print catalogs (aside from saying "call us for Gibson guitars") except in the region of their brick and mortar stores. Interesting.
    "A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man..." - Jebediah Springfield
    www.thehickories.com

Les Paul Froum Member

I suspect that many smaller stores have complained that they cannot compete with internet prices. Gibson may have lost some dealers due to the internet intruding on their designated sales area. I mean, we've all walked into shops, seen a high price and said "I can get one cheaper on the net"...

Just went to Guitar Trader. Go and click on their Gibson and or epi links. No listings. None. Zip, zilch, nadda. Fender stuff is still up, so it ain't the website.

Boy, MF, Amercian Musical et al. are going to LOVE this.

Les Paul Forum Member professor's Avatar

Yeah, this is to drive volume. By eliminating the moms and pops, they drive volume into their larger dealers. Fewer "customers" (meaning dealers) means less paperwork, reduced accounting, simplified sales management, etc. And, theoretically, the same -- or greater -- number of guitars sold, meaning increased margins for Henry and his pals.
    Regards, Dave Orban

www.mojogypsies.com
    The Mojo Gypsies on Myspace
    Our Youtube Wanking

Gear
    '53 ES-175
    '03 Andersen Electric Archie
    '64 ES-330

'01 L4 CES
    '64 Silvertone Jupiter
    Parts Teles w/ Vintage Vibe or Don Mare pickups

'96 Matchless Chieftain 1x12 combo
    '54 Fender Deluxe
    '01 Alessandro Beagle and English
    '58 Gibson G8 Discoverer

Quote Originally Posted by HHB
    It has always been Gibson's desire to have sales of their instruments be done on a personal level, not on a "point and click" shopping cart level. It is only when the end consumer interacts with your sales staff can the "Gibson story" be told, and an instrument be truly matched to that individual consumer's personal needs.
    What a load of crap! :nay :nay :nay :dead:

Sorry Gibson, the internet is here! If you don't like it, you lose!

You've lost another customer here. I'll be sure to tell your local authorized dealer that because of your dumbass policy I won't be buying Gibson products from them.

Man ... this is HUGE. No pictures on the internet and no dealers reaching out beyond their territories. The internet sites had the good prices and the larger stores probably complained.

Really bad move IMO, a backward step.

Les Paul Froum Member

Yeah, this is to drive volume. By eliminating the moms and pops, they drive volume into their larger dealers. Fewer "customers" (meaning dealers) means less paperwork, reduced accounting, simplified sales management, etc. And, theoretically, the same -- or greater -- number of guitars sold, meaning increased margins for Henry and his pals.
    How is this going to elimiate Mom and Pop stores? .. I would think it would actually increase their business. No more net sales means more people walking into the shop. Whether or not the plan works is yet to be seen though. But if MF/GC can't sell online, that means more people head to local stores.

All Access/Backstage Pass SteveB334's Avatar

So as I look at it they don't want to sell more guitars. This is only gonna hurt sales. What a horrific move by gibson.

Les Paul Forum Member sickboy79's Avatar

This sucks. I predict that their sales will actually drop as not everyone has a Gibson dealer in the neighborhood. What a bunch of crap!
    P90 LPs, LPs, Gretschs, Teles, James Trussart, Matchless and vintage Fender Bassman junkie!!

"Derelict rebel without a cause"

Post your concerns and opinions on the CS forum. Let them know how you feel.

TT

Quote Originally Posted by Nowhereman
    How is this going to elimiate Mom and Pop stores? .. I would think it would actually increase their business. No more net sales means more people walking into the shop. Whether or not the plan works is yet to be seen though. But if MF/GC can't sell online, that means more people head to local stores.
    'Zactly.

Les Paul Forum Member

Maybe it has become too easy to surf for the perfect top, color, weight and price while leaving too much residual NOS to move, or maybe legitimate protected territories through dealer agreements have been inadvertantly trounced by the growth of internet sales. I am most curious as to who initiated the changes to the web policy --- mom and pop, big box or Gibson --- and how they will measure the success of the new policy. If it doesn't resolve whatever the issue(s) may be, it will be easy enough to revert to status quo. It is a rather curious move that the official letter doesn't really address to my total satisfaction.

All Access/Backstage Pass Big Dog's Avatar

MF is still selling Gibsons with the prices published. :wtf

This is going after the Mom and Pop stores to cut them out of any customers outside their "territory". They were probably cutting into MF and GC sales. Less competition = less selection, more hassle and higher prices - short term.

Long term, pissed off Gibson buyers = lower volume and bigger supply. Dumb.

Les Paul Forum Member PixelBurst's Avatar

Where can we complain? There is nothing Gibson can do to make me buy guitars from GC. All Gibson is doing is alienating the very shops that keep their customers happy with a great purchasing experience.

Les Paul Forum Member Randy Combs's Avatar

I love looking at Gibson Les Paul guitars on gbase.com and davesguitars.com and other sites. This really bites. I bought my Les Paul new in 1976 and I am proud it's Norlin and not the "NEW" Gibson.
    Keep Rockin'

Les Paul Froum Member

This is going after the Mom and Pop stores to cut them out of any customers outside their "territory". They were probably cutting into MF and GC sales. Less competition = less selection, more hassle and higher prices - short term.
    If Gibson wanted to go after the Mom and Pop stores, they could simply stop giving them dealerships. I'm not saying that I agree with this policy, not at ALL... I am saying that I think this is one policy that may have been made to aid Mom and Pop stores. This is going to hurt MF far more than it will hurt a local shop that relies on local customers.

Like I said. Guitar Center is making a strong pitch to purchase the Gibson Company. Sam Ash are no longer Gibson dealers, and this is probably another step towards a deal with Enron Guitars,oops, I mean Guitar Center.

Don't you get it? The reason Guitar Center pushed Gibson into this policy is because NOBODY BUYS GIBSON STUFF FROM THAT CRAPPY STORE ONLINE! They don't hardly buy it on a "walk in" either, but the reason for that is their outrageous prices on instruments, not anything else. They want to blame the other guy because they can't sell stuff. And I guess they sell enough Faded LP Specials & Gothic SGs to have some clout. This is GREED; that's the bottom line.

Les Paul Forum Member

This move cuts down on competition. This raises the price of guitars. When you are limited to one local dealer (if you are lucky enough to have one) and your local GC, then you basically pay the price they charge, end of story. There's a lot of leeway in pricing between dealers, as we all know.

Normally, I would not buy locally. The Dealers in my locale are on the pricier side, last time I checked, and they don't carry the same selection as the best of the best. Assuming the same amount of Gibsons are sold each year, it essentially means that the average price paid for each guitar is going to rise. Those fabulous dealers with the best prices and selection (the ones we know and love) will move less guitars because they won't get the same volume of internet/out of state sales.

The dealers and GCs in each region with the higher prices will not have to compete with the cheaper dealers 1000 miles away, and will make more money selling their higher priced Gibsons to pick up the slack in demand. Theoretically.

So the consumer loses on price and selection. It seems to be a move to protect the dealers and GC who do not have the lowest prices, though it's obviously hurting MF et al. That's how I see it.
    "A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man..." - Jebediah Springfield
    www.thehickories.com

I think a couple of sharp lawyers could make Gibson eat those words. You can't sell new Gibsons at a trade show?? Come on, the little guys should get together and test it in court.

Everywhere you look :ahem it's greed, greed, greed. :nay Quick, look behind ya. :duke The world has forever changed. WE ARE :idot S!

Les Paul Froum Member

Don't you get it? The reason Guitar Center pushed Gibson into this policy is because NOBODY BUYS GIBSON STUFF FROM THAT CRAPPY STORE ONLINE!
    First off, how do you know GC pushed them into it? And I think many more people purchase Gibsons online from MF than you might be willing to admit. It isn't just historics that are involved, it's all Gibson/Epiphone products. I'm sure that MF (MF is GC - same company) sells a ton of cheap Epiphones online. Common sense tell me that this policy will hurt MF/GC far more than it does a local small or medium sized shop. The letter says -

Internet sales of all new Gibson Brand instruments and products, including Gibson USA, Gibson Montana, Gibson Memphis, Gibson OAI, Slingerland, Tobias, Gibson Custom/Historic, Epiphone, Valley Arts, Gibson Strings and Accessories are to cease immediately.
    That means everything! ... Who gets hurt worse - MF/GC or the small or medium dealer that relies mostly on local sales? ... If I owned MF, I'd be screaming about this policy.

Les Paul Forum Member

Did a quick check at MM and noted the lester pic's are mostly '01-03, and lot's of them for most categorys. Also note the threads on product glut's along with the abundance of NOS on the web, local shops, etc. My guess is this is an inventory mgmt./depletion move that will be appreciated by all dealers if it works. If they keep on selling the new/best stuff, they will never get rid of the other. I deal a good bit with inventory issues at work and it is an expensive, pain in the neck to address old, slow turning, expensive inventory. It's like looking at cash laying around the office for months/years on end that you can't touch, but really need to use somewhere else. Otherwise, wouldn't we be hearing some hell raising from the dealers by now? Of course, I could be totally wrong.

They are all there, with price and pictures.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...ibson+les+paul

Les Paul Froum Member

I am no fan of GC... as a matter of fact, I refuse to buy any guitars there. But people who are pointing the finger at GC need to realize that Guitar Center and Musicians Friend are the same company.

Quote Originally Posted by Tele-Tubby
    "The Gibson story be told?" By a kid at GC who doesn't know a P90 from a guitar case?

TT

yeah , no shit. one time I was speaking to a guy at sam ash and he became baffled when I started throwing around terms like "studio" and "standard" when discussing les pauls..he had no idea.

this is complete bullshit. All of the millions of people who don't live near a good store are fucked and everyone else is limited to whatever shitty selection is available to them locally. My local place usually has two studios and a classic thats kept way up high like its an original burst or something
    Check out my music here

https://m.soundcloud.com/christian-berrian-1
    That's instrumental music I recorded a while back
    Finally after many years, and some rough times, I am forming new band with my wife. Got a great bassist who has a jazz degree but his fav base player is Cliff Burton. Just need a drummer. Here is my wife's old band, we will be doing some of these
    https://m.soundcloud.com/eve-evol-purrr
    Peace
    EC1000

Quote Originally Posted by rmconner80
    It looks like this means that MF, zzounds, etc. can not sell Gibson guitars online, and can not advertise Gibson models in their print catalogs (aside from saying "call us for Gibson guitars") except in the region of their brick and mortar stores. Interesting.

That's what one would think, but it isnt the case. This was done to line the pockets of the big guys and to eliminate the competitive playing field that the internet provided to the mom and pops (like our forum dealers). A little bird told me that this rule might not apply to EVERY Gibson dealer.... :dead:

First person to shoot me a link of Musicians Friend's website when they pull thier Gibson stock wins..... *cough* *cough*

:dead:

Quote Originally Posted by Nowhereman
    I am no fan of GC... as a matter of fact, I refuse to buy any guitars there. But people who are pointing the finger at GC need to realize that Guitar Center and Musicians Friend are the same company.

BINGO!

I know Musician's Friend & Guitar Center are the same company. And it doesn't take a brain scientist to see who exactly benifits from this move. GC & MF & other mega-stores. And it seems that somehow they have convinced the suits at Gibson that because of the volume of sales in other areas (low end stuff) that they can increase it into the high dollar items by eliminating competition.

Pics and internet ads work. I just lost a nut over pics of a new Cloud 9 "54" burst at Dave's site. P90s, wraptail etc. Now I'm lusting after one. Am I going to jump in the car and see if GC has one in stock and haggle with those kids over the scratches and "the case cost extra" BS? Not a chance. If I really want one I'll call or email Dave's and work it out.

This whole thing might have a bright side for shops like Dave's. Without GAS inducing pics he'll likely have a lot fewer internet tire-kickers wasting his time. It will be harder for them to attract new customers without the visual bait though.

As far as this helping the mom & pop stores, I don't know. M & P couldn't compete with the local mega stores anyway. When I walking into a local M & P shop and asked about a couple of guitars, their best offer was "12 months same as cash", (on an R9) no discount on the standard MAP. When I mentioned I could get the other one, a faded SG, $180 cheaper in town (GC) he went ballistic and followed me out of the shop yelling about how it's not fair and "they'll lose their franchise!!!"

TT

That's one more reason for buying used Gibsons now... no more new Les Paul for me if this stupid decision makes the already pricey prices go up. This is sooo stupid.

Lets see what kinda products Fender has to offer these days... What's their www. address again? ;)

If the guitar buying public is turned off by Gibson as a company they will fail.

I hope they reconsider. I can't understand a company that wants to sell less products...

Les Paul Forum Member Johnnytone's Avatar

They lost me as a customer as well. They are getting SO FUCKIN' STUPID that I hope they go under.

Henry, what's the opposite of "above me?"

everyone should write gibson an email saying that they were going to buy online since they live far away from a store but since they can't buy gibson now, they are going to get a PRS instead
    Check out my music here

https://m.soundcloud.com/christian-berrian-1
    That's instrumental music I recorded a while back
    Finally after many years, and some rough times, I am forming new band with my wife. Got a great bassist who has a jazz degree but his fav base player is Cliff Burton. Just need a drummer. Here is my wife's old band, we will be doing some of these
    https://m.soundcloud.com/eve-evol-purrr
    Peace
    EC1000

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast