• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

15 watts...I don't get it

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
dtw576 said:
Man,

What kind of monitor is that? Just couldn't take my eyes off it! :lolspin :lolspin :lolspin :lolspin

It's the kind of monitor that sits on the floor by that ancient CPU. :lolspin

It's a vintage 1991 Apple 17". Was quite a monitor in it's day. Cost me over 1000 dollars. Has a real nice trinitron CRT with .28mm dot pitch.

Looking at that pic...that monitor is one of the few items in that pic that is newer than 1980 :hmm

professor

Mr. Papa said:
I've had Champs and I didn't like them. In my memory, they have the sogginess I was talking about. Maybe a different speaker with a tighter low end would have helped?

There's a relationship in HiFi amps where more power means the amp can produce a fuller tone with more bass at the same volume as a lower powered amp. The lower power amp will produce the same loudness, but with less bass and fullness in general (I know this is not a rule and it depends on circuit design and components). I love low wattage amps because they break up sooner and you can get power tube distortion from them at reasonable volumes. My problem with the low wattage, single ended amps I have played is that they can sound flappy and uncontrolled--especially in the low end.

So, is there an amp out there that will give you tube amp distortion WITH defined bass at a home-usable volume? If so, somebody let me know!
Alesssandro Beagle...!

Wilko

Levelor!?

You think I'm made of money?

Those are replica mini's from the 80's. Previous home owner left those behind. Can you believe it?

Wilko

The lack of a bunch of low bass doesn't bother me one bit. those are the realm of the bass player.

A guitar just needs a lot of smooth mids and some jangle at the top. That chest thumping bass from a 4 x 12 is fun sometimes, but not missed by me when my little amp is wailing away.

60pinstripe

I'm hoping to hear more from you guys that have had experience with the Fender 15 watt Blues Deluxe.

burstone

60pinstripe said:
I'm hoping to hear more from you guys that have had experience with the Fender 15 watt Blues Deluxe.

Hey Guy, why not just get a DR? :ahem

FuzzWas

Deluxe reverb, Princeton and Studio 15 are my choice for 14-18W tone!

P90pup

Great thread guys, I learned a lot here. This is why this is my permanent home page!

GCDEF

digitrack said:
Duane Allman and Eric Clapton recorded most of the electric guiatr tracks on the Layla album playing through a blackface Fender Champ running full up on 10, placed on top of the piano players grand piano on a rubber mat and miked up into the console. Listen to that album and check out their tone.

Some of the most gawd-awful tone ever recorded. I have no idea how they could listen to that and be happy. I agree with the rest of your post, but I can hardly think of a worse example to use to support it. That tone to me, sounds like the thin and buzzy tone the poster described.

Flavum

GCDEF said:
Some of the most gawd-awful tone ever recorded. I have no idea how they could listen to that and be happy. I agree with the rest of your post, but I can hardly think of a worse example to use to support it. That tone to me, sounds like the thin and buzzy tone the poster described.

I've got to agree. As much as I admire that album and magic that it contains, those guitar tones are the worst. I've always wondered how a master like Tom Dowd could have settled for such a nest of angry bees.

DrewB

GCDEF said:

That would be Clapton's Stratocaster. Duane's tones are nice and growly without the "sack of bees" fizz.

hoss

DrewB said:
That would be Clapton's Stratocaster. Duane's tones are nice and growly without the "sack of bees" fizz.
While I loved Claptons sound on the Les Paul, I hate his sound on the Strat. It's not the Strat, because there were and are many player who have a killer Strat tone.

Zhangliqun

Wilko said:
The lack of a bunch of low bass doesn't bother me one bit. those are the realm of the bass player.

A guitar just needs a lot of smooth mids and some jangle at the top. That chest thumping bass from a 4 x 12 is fun sometimes, but not missed by me when my little amp is wailing away.

If I understand him correctly, I don't think he's looking for chest-thumping lows (a la 7-string modern metal), I think he just wants his bass solid and tight instead of just intermittent bass you get from some small amps (or overdrive stomp boxes) that sounds almost like a cracked speaker.

I like the bass to be like it's really right there in the room with me instead of like I'm listening to a radio station with a weak signal. (This is also why I prefer 12" to 10" speakers.)

drewbaby

Howza 'bout a Fender Pro Jr. (Woody) with a Weber 10F150T ceramic? I've got around $15k in amps (SLO-100, Vibroking, old Plexi etc..), and this, by far, is my favorite. Oh, I also just picked up an OLD 5w Magnatone lap steel amp( early '50's) with a moto covered cabinet, and this little bastard absolutely kills!! If you read Tonequest, it's the same one as Steve Wariner has pictured in last month's issue. If you ever happen to find one of these... buy it!!! Picked mine up for $175.

vseprosto90211

I bought a 15 Watts Behringer Ultracoustic AT108 as a birthday present for my son. Good amp with a tube sound. My son is a beginner guitarist and this amp is perfect for learning and practicing.

Cliff Gress

Well,...Consider my eyes opened. I knew there was a difference between tube and SS, but didn't realize it was of that magnitude. I guess I now have another direction to branch out in my GAS.

Seriously, thanks for all the info.

Another option might be the new Tone Master Fender SS amps. Deluxe & Twin.